PDA

View Full Version : Other The terraces of Tenerife

Margaretta
13-01-2015, 21:18
Last night I watched a really interesting programme about the Inca of South America.
The height of the Andes mountains was absolutely breathtaking and it was interesting to see that they were terraced to a high level as in Tenerife. I always thought that much of the terracing was to prevent an avalanche of rocks but this is only partly the reason. The Inca, as indeed the Tenerifians, realised that each terrace would have its own micro-climate according to its level. If different things were planted at each level, suited to that particular micro-climate, it would ensure that there would always be some sort of crop to harvest to feed the people and for trading.
This may have been obvious to everyone else but it's new to me and I shall be observing what is growing on each terrace on my next Tenerife visit.
Great programme....I recommend it.

LUCKY
13-01-2015, 21:35
Last night I watched a really interesting programme about the Inca of South America.
The height of the Andes mountains was absolutely breathtaking and it was interesting to see that they were terraced to a high level as in Tenerife. I always thought that much of the terracing was to prevent an avalanche of rocks but this is only partly the reason. The Inca, as indeed the Tenerifians, realised that each terrace would have its own micro-climate according to its level. If different things were planted at each level, suited to that particular micro-climate, it would ensure that there would always be some sort of crop to harvest to feed the people and for trading.
This may have been obvious to everyone else but it's new to me and I shall be observing what is growing on each terrace on my next Tenerife visit.
Great programme....I recommend it.

What channel was it on , please inform us. I love programs like this . :flatcap:

Margaretta
13-01-2015, 21:43
BBC I-Player: 'The Inca -Masters of the clouds.'