PDA

View Full Version : The flu shot does not protect against this year's strain in Ireland says the WHO

kingbaker
16-01-2015, 11:41
The WHO says that this years Irish shot does NOT cover the strain thats doin' the rounds this winter.
Probs need fo check yours:confused:

macdonald5
16-01-2015, 11:57
The WHO says that this years Irish shot does NOT cover the strain thats doin' the rounds this winter.

Cheers KB ,don't get flu shots anyway so no issue

Malteser Monkey
16-01-2015, 12:00
Well I havd just recovered from a 6 weeks virus. Had flu 5 years ago but this was worse - it had a bit of everything thrown in for good measure

I tried all sorts and nothing at all worked, just had to sleep it out ! Luckily was only 2 weeks off work for the worst part.

So take care - ohhh and the cough is more like a bark !

(no comments please):raspberry:

kingbaker
16-01-2015, 12:58
Cheers KB ,don't get flu shots anyway so no issue

Did you order 25 gallons of milk?
See joke thread!!:D

blondie
16-01-2015, 16:58

Yes typical , this is the first year I got the flu jag since I retired and my GP informed me yesterday to be careful out and about as the Influenza A strain is doing its rounds and the jag does not cover it . Hope it does not follow me to Tenerife next week.

essexeddie
16-01-2015, 18:17
This subject has done the rounds, me, I would never have them. Rarely get colds and only had flu once as a kid. People who have these jabs are always ill with them.

macdonald5
16-01-2015, 18:58
Did you order 25 gallons of milk?
See joke thread!!:D

Away and practice your Caroc dancing !!!! Another thread ? x

blondie
16-01-2015, 19:42
This subject has done the rounds, me, I would never have them. Rarely get colds and only had flu once as a kid. People who have these jabs are always ill with them.

Sorry , not true people are always ill with them. My husband has had his every year for past 10 year and not once had as much as a sniffle. I myself had to have them as I worked administering chemotherapy to vulnerable, compromised patients and never had a problem either.

kingbaker
16-01-2015, 19:59
Recent figures.
The flu jab is 80~90% successfull at keeping it away.

With the new strain, the jab is only 25% successfull.

I rang my GP abooot 15 times today but couldn't get through.
:confused::confused::confused:

Ecky Thump
16-01-2015, 20:39
Sorry , not true people are always ill with them. My husband has had his every year for past 10 year and not once had as much as a sniffle. I myself had to have them as I worked administering chemotherapy to vulnerable, compromised patients and never had a problem either.

Totally agree with you, both my wife and I have been having the Flu Jab for about 10-12 years, as the wife worked with children in a residential school and I had/have chronic Asthma...we've never had any after effects and certainly never had the flu.:)

warbey
16-01-2015, 20:43
I suffered a bad dose of flu long before Jabs were invented.

I have a jab each Year now, for a number of reasons,

I have Colds etc but haven't suffered a Bad Dose since.

I was told which Virus it will be has to be guessed at each Year but You will still get SOME Protection

This Year looks like They guessed wrong then.......

kingbaker
16-01-2015, 22:47
I suffered a bad dose of flu long before Jabs were invented.

I have a jab each Year now, for a number of reasons,

I have Colds etc but haven't suffered a Bad Dose since.

I was told which Virus it will be has to be guessed at each Year but You will still get SOME Protection

This Year looks like They guessed wrong then.......

They have to produce hundreds of millions of doses, so need to do it way in advance I suppose:confused::confused:

martincrabb99
16-01-2015, 22:51
I don't think I have ever had the flu but if I had health problems I would definitely have the jab.

Susief
17-01-2015, 00:02
I work in a GP surgery and this year half of our patients have had flu jabs.
All staff have too and up to now all have stayed well, the staff, can't speak for the 2000+ patients.
I had a bad chest infection 7/8 years ago and was advised to have. I only get an odd sniffle.
Boots doing a good deal this year. £12.95 for a jab & winter pack. If you qualify it's free.

kingbaker
17-01-2015, 11:56
I don't think I have ever had the flu but if I had health problems I would definitely have the jab.

It's to prevent the flu in retired geeeezers, sunning themselves in the Caribean.:p

Malteser Monkey
17-01-2015, 12:02
It's to prevent the flu in retired geeeezers, sunning themselves in the Caribean.:p

:crylaughing:

essexeddie
17-01-2015, 17:26

I better get it done then because that's where we are heading when we return back to the UK in March

kingbaker
17-01-2015, 18:55
I've bad news for you.....it's not in the UK or even in the UQ!:p

warbey
17-01-2015, 21:29

Retired..??

I reckon with all this Travelling He's on the Board at INTERPOL Mate................:idea::idea::tiphat:

Tony the Welder
27-01-2015, 01:47
Mother and father-in-law had the flu jab in the UK. One week later they both caught the flu and spent a fortnight in bed recovering.

kingbaker
27-01-2015, 15:06
Thatz wott they told you. :D:D

essexeddie
27-01-2015, 19:38
Mother and father-in-law had the flu jab in the UK. One week later they both caught the flu and spent a fortnight in bed recovering.

Well there you go. What did I say :-)

warbey
27-01-2015, 20:19

Wrong kind of Flu Jab........................................Honest. .................

Susief
27-01-2015, 21:57
There are many different strains of flu, can't vaccinate them all.

Hepa
27-01-2015, 22:04
I have never had a flu vaccination yet, I have only really had one bad bout of flu, but that was a long time ago.

Carol55
27-01-2015, 22:09
I've been having the flu jab for a few years and I've never had the flu, but in all honesty I don't know if it's the jab that worked or a simple case of being lucky in not catching the virus.:dontknow:

Tshirt
27-01-2015, 23:55
The Who are all pensioners now so probably get their flu jabs, But I don't think they live in Ireland. :whistle:

kingbaker
28-01-2015, 00:56
Wrong kind of Flu Jab........................................Honest. .................

Same in Britland!:p

kingbaker
28-01-2015, 00:57
The Who are all pensioners now so probably get their flu jabs, But I don't think they live in Ireland. :whistle:

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:D

kingbaker
28-01-2015, 15:12
Achooooo!!:D:D

martincrabb99
08-02-2015, 11:04
Recent figures.
The flu jab is 80~90% successfull at keeping it away.

With the new strain, the jab is only 25% successfull.

I rang my GP abooot 15 times today but couldn't get through.
:confused::confused::confused:

Morning KB. The UK Government Public Health Agency have stated that this years Flu jab worked only for 3% of patients and mortality rates have increased significantly because of this.