PDA

View Full Version : Other What was the weather like in Tenerife this Christmas?

tub
18-01-2015, 22:19
could anyone tell me what the weather was like over the christmas period this year was the first we have not been in tenerife for 6 years and a mate in the pub said it was just as well because the weather was bad

macdonald5
18-01-2015, 23:30
Hi tub, was worse weather we have experienced for over 20 years ( except 2000 )
Decent 21 to 25 degrees day temps but much more cloud than we've ever had
A few days Calima ( heavy mist, red dust etc) also winds much stronger than usual and chilly evenings and nights
First time in years I've had to use blanket for cold feet !!
That said we still enjoyed a lovely 4 weeks holiday but definitely weather wise a big change

Tshirt
19-01-2015, 11:27
:tiphat:

I've just spent Christmas and New Year in Tenerife (Torviscas), it didn't snow, it didn't freeze and the couple of showers we had were during the night. Never wore a jumper, wore my jeans twice, in the evening. Back home now, sat in the house, thermal vest, shirt, two fleeces, heating on, too cold to go out, snow, freezing temperatures. Bad weather in Tenerife? You're having a laugh. I know where I'd rather be.

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a485/Ted4104/1507153_805737346150937_1386727274600298530_n_zps2 69628dc.jpg

kingbaker
19-01-2015, 11:33
Well said dat bloke.....whingin' pomms:p:p:cool::cool:

Chine
19-01-2015, 12:19
Arrived GDS on the 21st of December until 3rd of January , it was mostly sunny during our stay until the last few days where it went cloudy and quite cold , still a lot better than the uk , back out in feb fingers crossed for some warm sunny days !

hopey
19-01-2015, 16:22
We came over on Dec 19 to Dec 30 and the weather was superb!!! A little windy xmas day but sun was beating down!!!

macdonald5
19-01-2015, 18:00
I stay with my original statement we had the worst weather in many,many years ( good temperatures but much more cloud and cold than previous years) Puerto Colon area
We lay at poolside some days wrapped in beach towels !! Hardy Scots !! and English friends
Friends living there did not even venture to poolside many days
Lovely for walking though
Wonderful holiday 16th December till 13th Jan) but mixed bag of weather
See The Canarian Weekly Paper says 'coldest December since 2008'
Wish I was still there in the cloudy 25 degrees though rather than brrrrrrr minus 5 here

marbro8
19-01-2015, 19:13
i think sometimes people can't differentiate between going on a summer holiday and going away to escape our british weather, there is a world of difference, we go away in between may and october to get some tenerifian summer sun, and then you can quite rightly have a moan if you don't get it, we go away in between november and march to escape ice, snow, rain and fog, in which case there is no reason to groan because you have escaped it:wink:

macdonald5
19-01-2015, 19:26
i think sometimes people can't differentiate between going on a summer holiday and going away to escape our british weather, there is a world of difference, we go away in between may and october to get some tenerifian summer sun, and then you can quite rightly have a moan if you don't get it, we go away in between november and march to escape ice, snow, rain and fog, in which case there is no reason to groan because you have escaped it:wink:

Hardly groaning marbro8 , only stating a fact, we have done December/ January Tenerife holidays ( as well as May& October) for many years and this year was unfortunately the poorest weather we've had
Thank heavens we had the weather though as so ,so much better than very cold,miserable Scotland

marbro8
19-01-2015, 19:46
Hardly groaning marbro8 , only stating a fact, we have done December/ January Tenerife holidays ( as well as May& October) for many years and this year was unfortunately the poorest weather we've had
Thank heavens we had the weather though as so ,so much better than very cold,miserable Scotlandyes i think that there is a weather trend happening in tenerife, we have noticed it over the last few years, it is no longer the guaranteed sun mecca it once was, i have never seen as much cloud as i have in the last few years, and that is in the summer months???

macdonald5
19-01-2015, 19:59
yes i think that there is a weather trend happening in tenerife, we have noticed it over the last few years, it is no longer the guaranteed sun mecca it once was, i have never seen as much cloud as i have in the last few years, and that is in the summer months???

Yes ,as we say ' this is NOT what we paid for '
World weather changing so suppose our loved Tenerife is included

tub
19-01-2015, 20:22
thanks for the info seems like a mixed bag of weather hope it will be good this christmas we are back in the old routine and it will be tenerife not england where we spend it

Chine
19-01-2015, 20:59
Yes ,as we say ' this is NOT what we paid for '
World weather changing so suppose our loved Tenerife is included

As we know the line of the equator is not too far from our beloved Tenerife if you follow it around the globe it is home to the rain forests which seem to be expanding northwards , Tenerife is still great weather but definitely not the weather we used to get 20/30 years ago , I've been fortunate enough to spend many winter holidays in Tenerife and southern Spain and nowadays weather wise there is only a few degrees difference between them yet years ago the difference was quite significant , although it's still Tenerife for me !!!

Jabba43
20-01-2015, 09:59
you are all on drugs 1994 and 20 years later, no difference. Just change the date in the url for more years if you are interested, it goes back to 1980 but to me it looks the same more or less on the temp chart.

https://weatherspark.com/history/29189/1994/Tenerife-Canarias-Spain

https://weatherspark.com/history/29189/2013/Tenerife-Canarias-Spain

primrose
20-01-2015, 11:37
you are all on drugs 1994 and 20 years later, no difference. Just change the date in the url for more years if you are interested, it goes back to 1980 but to me it looks the same more or less on the temp chart.

Where you here to feel the cold wind that went with the temperatures that are recorded,do they give the wind chill, did you not look at the webcam for Los Cristianos beach were people where walking about every night with coats and fleeces on.I have been here for 10 years at Christmas and no I am not on drugs but sometimes I wish I was as it would make it easier to read the crap some people post on here.No matter what your graph shows this was by far the coldest Christmas since I came here.I live here I don't need a few coloured lines to tell me it was cold.

Malteser Monkey
20-01-2015, 11:53
Ohh I believe you Primmy (wouldn't dare argue):cheeky:

Different parts of the Island can feel very different too - you go up to Adeje or Valle San Lorenzo for example of a night in the winter months and you can feel the difference.

There's a lot air pushing down from the North that's boud to have an affect

http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/weather/satellite/Europe/Europe/Infraredcolor/premium.htm

Click on the loop button middle of the screen - you can see clearly here what's happening

macdonald5
20-01-2015, 12:03
Definitely not on drugs but I was there this year and many previous years and cloud and cold winds much colder during this last holiday month
Graphs like statistics can be manipulated to show what is wanted

kingbaker
20-01-2015, 12:29
Where you here to feel the cold wind that went with the temperatures that are recorded,do they give the wind chill, did you not look at the webcam for Los Cristianos beach were people where walking about every night with coats and fleeces on.I have been here for 10 years at Christmas and no I am not on drugs but sometimes I wish I was as it would make it easier to read the crap some people post on here.No matter what your graph shows this was by far the coldest Christmas since I came here.I live here I don't need a few coloured lines to tell me it was cold.

Give that girl another trophy. Any of you guys p*** me off I'll get Rosie after ye. Now!!:lol::lol:

chifleta
20-01-2015, 15:53
I stay with my original statement we had the worst weather in many,many years ( good temperatures but much more cloud and cold than previous years) Puerto Colon area
We lay at poolside some days wrapped in beach towels !! Hardy Scots !! and English friends
Friends living there did not even venture to poolside many days
Lovely for walking though
Wonderful holiday 16th December till 13th Jan) but mixed bag of weather
See The Canarian Weekly Paper says 'coldest December since 2008'
Wish I was still there in the cloudy 25 degrees though rather than brrrrrrr minus 5 here

I've been a local for soooo long on the Reef that I won't venture into the sea until June hahahaha ... i'm sat here with fluffy slippers on and a sweater it's 23.5ºC outside, and 19ºC inside, i'm froze... might have to jog on the spot in a minute ;)

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

It definately feels colder to us that live here, I always say you can feel the wind chill come down from Teide (and it's a bit nippy on the pippy up there guaranteed) ... but I do say that we are also getting older (but not "old" yet) and I do think we notice it more .... my first winter holiday here I swam in Las Galletas harbour on New Year day..... this year I didn't even want to have a shower i was that cold ... but it was my annual chore, so I had to ... hubby insisted :raspberry::crazy::eyebrows::lol::whistle::shower: :grufalo::rofl:

Ecky Thump
20-01-2015, 16:15

I'm not trying to compare the weather here with Tenerife, but the temperatures here on the coast can vary by four degrees in a very short distance from South to North and if you travel Eastwards by as little as 1000 metres the temperature and the wind chill factor have a great affect, I would think you would encounter the same in Tenerife.

At this very moment, we have absolutely no snow on the ground, but just two miles away the major roads are closed and blocked by snow drifts.

primrose
20-01-2015, 20:17
I'm not trying to compare the weather here with Tenerife, but the temperatures here on the coast can vary by four degrees in a very short distance from South to North and if you travel Eastwards by as little as 1000 metres the temperature and the wind chill factor have a great affect, I would think you would encounter the same in Tenerife.

At this very moment, we have absolutely no snow on the ground, but just two miles away the major roads are closed and blocked by snow drifts.

http://www.canarianweekly.com/chilly-december/

I have just got back from Santa Cruz and La Laguna it was 12 degrees, very cold wind and raining. Is that what you could really call a winter sun holiday.

kingbaker
20-01-2015, 20:26
Did ye buy me something nice??:p

From a cold Dublin.

primrose
20-01-2015, 20:30
Did ye buy me something nice??:p

It's a surprise. :jump2:

macdonald5
20-01-2015, 20:48
It's a surprise. :jump2:

A wooden spoon perhaps for KB ?? x

chifleta
21-01-2015, 13:30
http://www.canarianweekly.com/chilly-december/

I have just got back from Santa Cruz and La Laguna it was 12 degrees, very cold wind and raining. Is that what you could really call a winter sun holiday.

Hubby works nights, when his shift finished the other morning he said the thermometer in car showed 8ºC - that was in Costa del Silencio :shiver

Hepa
21-01-2015, 13:56
Valverde El Hierro, same height as Holme Moss, Yorkshire Pennines, our minimum last night was 10ºC, sunny now but a cold wind.

primrose
21-01-2015, 14:11
Valverde El Hierro, same height as Holme Moss, Yorkshire Pennines, our minimum last night was 10ºC, sunny now but a cold wind.

I think that has been the problem this year, even when it was sunny if you weren't in a sheltered spot there is always a cold wind.

Tshirt
21-01-2015, 15:41

You wouldn't want to go over Holme Moss today Hepa

http://www.examiner.co.uk/all-about/holme-moss

Hepa
21-01-2015, 16:06
You wouldn't want to go over Holme Moss today Hepa

http://www.examiner.co.uk/all-about/holme-moss

I know it well, I was hatched in Holmfirth. Brrrr better here on the Meridian Isle.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I think that has been the problem this year, even when it was sunny if you weren't in a sheltered spot there is always a cold wind.

Dries the washing though, and quite pleasant working in the garden.

tfs1
21-01-2015, 16:14
sitting here watching the snow come down here in snowy West Yorkshire.

Hepa
21-01-2015, 17:08
sitting here watching the snow come down here in snowy West Yorkshire.

That is one good reason for retiring in the Canary Isles, I used to live in West Yorkshire, now the only snow I see is over 100 miles away on mount Teide, Tenerife.

tfs1
21-01-2015, 17:47
That is one good reason for retiring in the Canary Isles, I used to live in West Yorkshire, now the only snow I see is over 100 miles away on mount Teide, Tenerife.

We look forward to be seeing the same Teide snow in 9 days time !

marbro8
21-01-2015, 17:55
We look forward to be seeing the same Teide snow in 9 days time !i went up there once in a pair of shorts and flip flops, needless to say it didn't take long before i got back on the cable car:lol:

tfs1
21-01-2015, 18:53
i went up there once in a pair of shorts and flip flops, needless to say it didn't take long before i got back on the cable car:lol:

I plan to see it while relaxing and floating on my back in the swimming pool !

martincrabb99
21-01-2015, 19:38
I plan to see it while relaxing and floating on my back in the swimming pool !

I'm so proud of you!

Malteser Monkey
22-01-2015, 11:00

It was a couple of years ago it snowed in La Palma cainaries told us - I think people were driving in it and skidding all over the place if I remember rightly