PDA

View Full Version : Purses snatched in Puerto de la Cruz

canarybird
19-01-2015, 15:58
Just back from shopping in Mercadona up in El Durazno...that's the one in La Paz, Puerto de la Cruz up behind Hotel Botanico.

As I was paying, the cashier told my friend and I to be very careful of our handbags as there were two stolen this morning in the store.

He said it was done by young women from Romania. Don't know if they were caught.

Malteser Monkey
19-01-2015, 16:07
melm take care hun

melm
19-01-2015, 16:29
melm take care hun

I will be careful. Shame that you need to be on your guard.

blondie
19-01-2015, 17:25
I will be careful. Shame that you need to be on your guard.

Well lets hope its not fourth time lucky for me being robbed from tomorrow , if anyone comes too close to me in next two weeks I will be ready for them. Who the hell am I kidding , they rob you and you don't know a thing about it , never ever thought I could say that but its true , the ******** are so clever.

macdonald5
19-01-2015, 18:03
Well lets hope its not fourth time lucky for me being robbed from tomorrow , if anyone comes too close to me in next two weeks I will be ready for them. Who the hell am I kidding , they rob you and you don't know a thing about it , never ever thought I could say that but its true , the ******** are so clever.

Have super holiday blondie but hold on to your case and belongings don't let the bxxxxxxx win !! x

marbro8
19-01-2015, 18:47
Well lets hope its not fourth time lucky for me being robbed from tomorrow , if anyone comes too close to me in next two weeks I will be ready for them. Who the hell am I kidding , they rob you and you don't know a thing about it , never ever thought I could say that but its true , the ******** are so clever.i hope a forum member doesn't recognise you and goes in for a quick peck, otherwise his balls will be in his "GREGORY" peck:laugh:, stay safe:wink:

seanocelt
19-01-2015, 21:27
Sad to see this spreading to the North. In Las Americas the past few weeks there has been a huge increase in prostitutes or girls pretending to be but really trying to rifle people pockets as they accost them. Young or old , no matter, these women they are so aggressive, hassling resident and tourist alike. From McDonalds and Veronicas all the way to Patch, my friend who has returned to work here after a long absence, says you cant walk ten steps. Its a cesspit now, such a shame, nobody seems to do a thing about it. Sad.

Ecky Thump
19-01-2015, 21:45
Sad to see this spreading to the North. In Las Americas the past few weeks there has been a huge increase in prostitutes or girls pretending to be but really trying to rifle people pockets as they accost them. Young or old , no matter, these women they are so aggressive, hassling resident and tourist alike. From McDonalds and Veronicas all the way to Patch, my friend who has returned to work here after a long absence, says you cant walk ten steps. Its a cesspit now, such a shame, nobody seems to do a thing about it. Sad.

Sad indeed that a resident has to describe a holiday town as a cesspit....action needs to be taken or tourism will suffer!

warbey
19-01-2015, 21:45
Thankyou canarybird and seanocelt. For Your Posts.

There are Those who Disapprove of these Reports, supposedly giving Tenerife a bad Name.

Warning People who may have scrimped and saved for a break in the Sun shouldn't be a Crime..

and if They avoid being robbed, so much the better:flatcap::flatcap:

canarybird
19-01-2015, 23:54
Well I posted my comment just as a reminder that these thieves are still about and one should be conscious of this when going shopping. It's not too difficult for women to go into a supermarket without a handbag if money, keys and documents are stuffed into an inner pocket, or in front pants pocket with an overhanging jacket to hide the pockets. Just takes some thought to be prepared before going out shopping. Even a small pouch on a strap slung diagonally across one's chest, hidden under a waistcoat or jacket would work. It just seems careless to go into a supermarket with a large handbag, often left sitting in the cart while the shopper turns around to pick goods from shelves, or else slung over a shoulder with the bag hanging on her back. Unfortunately we have to think ahead about how to protect ourselves.

Ecky Thump
20-01-2015, 00:05
Well I posted my comment just as a reminder that these thieves are still about and one should be conscious of this when going shopping. It's not too difficult for women to go into a supermarket without a handbag if money, keys and documents are stuffed into an inner pocket, or in front pants pocket with an overhanging jacket to hide the pockets. Just takes some thought to be prepared before going out shopping. Even a small pouch on a strap slung diagonally across one's chest, hidden under a waistcoat or jacket would work. It just seems careless to go into a supermarket with a large handbag, often left sitting in the cart while the shopper turns around to pick goods from shelves, or else slung over a shoulder with the bag hanging on her back. Unfortunately we have to think ahead about how to protect ourselves.

All good advice as pickpockets are opportunists and when they go out with the intention of thieving, it's not a particular person that they have in mind, but someone who is the easiest target for their skills as a thief.

essexeddie
20-01-2015, 18:23
Definitely getting worse, guy from our complex last week lost €100 from his pocket at a bus stop. Also talking to an old Norwegian couple that had just lost his wallet with €650 in it. And it was in a zipped up pocket. All in Los Cristianos.

warbey
20-01-2015, 19:21
Definitely getting worse, guy from our complex last week lost €100 from his pocket at a bus stop. Also talking to an old Norwegian couple that had just lost his wallet with €650 in it. And it was in a zipped up pocket. All in Los Cristianos.

People have been advised many times, NOT to carry Large sums of Money...

if They Have to, spread it around Your Person..

Simples really.?.......:confused::confused:

essexeddie
20-01-2015, 21:03
I think WE all know this but others that are not on here don't seem to know. They should be warned as they arrive.

kingbaker
20-01-2015, 21:39
I have to disagree. There'll always be a few who'll get caught out and they shouldn't grab the headlines.:confused:

Ecky Thump
20-01-2015, 22:17
I think WE all know this but others that are not on here don't seem to know. They should be warned as they arrive.

The holiday makers that get their wallets stolen appear to have their brains in the bottom of a pint glass, no one should need telling that Tenerife has pickpockets, it's unfortunate, but it has been going on throughout the world since the invention of trousers!!

martincrabb99
20-01-2015, 22:31
It is best to be totally aware of your environment in whatever country you are visiting. A lot of victims of crime are often off their guard and are not mindful of their belongings. Distraction is often an issue in instances of this nature and really it's a case of being aware. I think posters on this forum do a great job in notifying us of crime hotspots and it's like having a forum Crime Watch. Great stuff!

kingbaker
21-01-2015, 02:55
A bit of perspective is required I think as this forum is not a crime watch programme.

Probably there are at times up to 40000 tourists from England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Holland, Belguim, Germany, France, Austria, Spain and many other countries. If 40 of them were robbed or dipped or had their appts burgled, or cars broken into, then 39960 people DIDN'T.

To be balanced you would need to talk to each of them and then discuss EACH one on here.

Crime always increases in areas of deprivation and these areas exand rapidly in times of recession, where policing budgets are reduced and welfare (unemployment) payments are inadequate.

canarybird
21-01-2015, 12:00
A bit of perspective is required I think as this forum is not a crime watch programme.

Probably there are at times up to 40000 tourists from England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, Holland, Belguim, Germany, France, Austria, Spain and many other countries. If 40 of them were robbed or dipped or had their appts burgled, or cars broken into, then 39960 people DIDN'T.

To be balanced you would need to talk to each of them and then discuss EACH one on here.

Crime always increases in areas of deprivation and these areas exand rapidly in times of recession, where policing budgets are reduced and welfare (unemployment) payments are inadequate.

My point is that this happened in a supermarket located in more of a residential area than a touristic area.

In other words, my neighbourhood grocery store, where customers are mainly local residents and things like that have not happened before.

And apparently committed by thieves from out of the country, so the local economic conditions would not have been a contributing factor.

So yes, I am warning my friends, some on this forum, who also shop there, to be extra vigilant.

primrose
21-01-2015, 12:12
The holiday makers that get their wallets stolen appear to have their brains in the bottom of a pint glass, no one should need telling that Tenerife has pickpockets, it's unfortunate, but it has been going on throughout the world since the invention of trousers!!

Surprised at this post Ecky,not everybody drinks and they are not all Tourists, many locals just out shopping have had their pockets picked and bags stolen,and what about the people who get hurt while having their bags/money stolen. Just because it hasn't happened to some doesn't mean it won't and it will be when they least expect it.

Ecky Thump
21-01-2015, 12:14
My point is that this happened in a supermarket located in more of a residential area than a touristic area.

In other words, my neighbourhood grocery store, where customers are mainly local residents and things like that have not happened before.

And apparently committed by thieves from out of the country, so the local economic conditions would not have been a contributing factor.

So yes, I am warning my friends, some on this forum, who also shop there, to be extra vigilant.

It's the economic conditions that the thieves live under is the main factor and they are prepared to travel to escape from them.....they certainly don't mind traveling a few kilometres to find easier targets, so the message/warning would cover the whole of Tenerife, unfortunately not just one particular area of Puerto de la Cruz. :-(

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Surprised at this post Ecky,not everybody drinks and they are not all Tourists, many locals just out shopping have had their pockets picked and bags stolen,and what about the people who get hurt while having their bags/money stolen. Just because it hasn't happened to some doesn't mean it won't and it will be when they least expect it.

It would appear by most of the reported thefts that the majority of the thieves have targeted tourists, but will look for any easy pickings......it's no different from here in the UK. We only have to look at London where the rate of thefts has risen to a horrendous rate, the thieves used to target areas like Oxford Street, but now it's both locals and tourists being the targets......it all comes down to trying to be aware that thieves are mobile people who don't mind travelling.

primrose
21-01-2015, 12:59
Oh Ecky you are so wrong, how far do you think they travel? a few kilometers, most are from Eastern Europe, like Canarybird said they are not from this Country and have traveled a long way, and when the Summer season starts on the Mainland they will travel many more back there for the Summer. I actually find it quite insulting that you think most people that are robbed have their Brains in the bottom of a beer glass, living here we hear a lot more reports of robberies than Tourists will ever do and it is getting worse,the number of break-ins has gone up tremendously and the more people that are warned the more people will be on their guard. Stop brushing it under the carpet bring it out into the open, get the police off the street corners where they seem to have nothing better to do than checking peoples driving licenses and get them patrolling the streets, get rid of the Prostitutes in Las Americas and make Tenerife a safer place for everybody. And please when anything like this comes up can we not keep comparing it to the UK, we are in Tenerife so it really doesn't matter what is going on there.
Why are there not more Police at the Airport where there are so many thefts before people even start their holidays.
What percentage of Holidaymakers ever come on the the Forum, a tiny amount, but we hear of so many muggings and robberies on here, so multiply that by the hundreds that we never hear about, not nice.

sweetheart
21-01-2015, 13:09
An elderly couple were robbed in hipperdino Sand Blas by pickpockets ...just be aware... its now happening in supermarkets everywhere.. aparently the couple arrived the day before and the chap had all is money in his wallet ... why on earth would they take all their money with them..feel soory for them all the same

chifleta
21-01-2015, 13:09

Nicely said dad.....

as someone who worked in a touristic shop for a year, I did have to point out to the majority of the clients "don't flash your cash" ... they seem to ask for trouble i'm sorry to say... getting out their wallets, that yes, are deep in their bermuda pocket, and then rifle through a good few hundred euro notes to find one that they were going to use to pay for their goods... my eyeballs hurt at the end of the day from rolling them so much ughhh.... and ladies with huge handbags "open" for all and sundry to stick their hands in and grab what they can :nono:

Oh, and of course, the police are next to useless/helpless as they have their 400 Euro rule grrrrrr - and you (apparently) can't grab the thieves, even if you catch them red handed.

Ecky Thump
21-01-2015, 13:22
Oh Ecky you are so wrong, how far do you think they travel? a few kilometers, most are from Eastern Europe, like Canarybird said they are not from this Country and have traveled a long way, and when the Summer season starts on the Mainland they will travel many more back there for the Summer. I actually find it quite insulting that you think most people that are robbed have their Brains in the bottom of a beer glass, living here we hear a lot more reports of robberies than Tourists will ever do and it is getting worse,the number of break-ins has gone up tremendously and the more people that are warned the more people will be on their guard. Stop brushing it under the carpet bring it out into the open, get the police off the street corners where they seem to have nothing better to do than checking peoples driving licenses and get them patrolling the streets, get rid of the Prostitutes in Las Americas and make Tenerife a safer place for everybody. And please when anything like this comes up can we not keep comparing it to the UK, we are in Tenerife so it really doesn't matter what is going on there.
Why are there not more Police at the Airport where there are so many thefts before people even start their holidays.
What percentage of Holidaymakers ever come on the the Forum, a tiny amount, but we hear of so many muggings and robberies on here, so multiply that by the hundreds that we never hear about, not nice.

I thought that we all knew that the majority of the thieving that we are discussing is carried out by Eastern Europeans who during the holiday seasons reside in Tenerife and travel accordingly.

As the population of Tenerife dramatically increases with the influx of tourists and the main industry there is tourism with hundreds (maybe thousands) of bars, then maybe you will understand my remark about their brains being in the bottom of a glass and are seen as easy targets...alcohol relieves people of brain cells and they relax. :-)

As a very large percentage of residents and tourists are British (just like this forum) it's surly understandable why we compare the two places on a regular basis and the just to confirm this, if you asked many forum members about our police forces you will get (rightly or wrongly) the same criticisms and observations between British police and the Tenerife police. Also every day people compare the GBP with the Euro, indeed I would think that the British pensioners who reside in Tenerife do this.

Where have I ever tried to brush problems that occur in Tenerife under the carpet....Never, as I openly (like now) discuss them.

primrose
21-01-2015, 14:07
I thought that we all knew that the majority of the thieving that we are discussing is carried out by Eastern Europeans who during the holiday seasons reside in Tenerife and travel accordingly.

As the population of Tenerife dramatically increases with the influx of tourists and the main industry there is tourism with hundreds (maybe thousands) of bars, then maybe you will understand my remark about their brains being in the bottom of a glass and are seen as easy targets...alcohol relieves people of brain cells and they relax. :-)

As a very large percentage of residents and tourists are British (just like this forum) it's surly understandable why we compare the two places on a regular basis and the just to confirm this, if you asked many forum members about our police forces you will get (rightly or wrongly) the same criticisms and observations between British police and the Tenerife police. Also every day people compare the GBP with the Euro, indeed I would think that the British pensioners who reside in Tenerife do this.

Where have I ever tried to brush problems that occur in Tenerife under the carpet....Never, as I openly (like now) discuss them.

Sorry but there are just as many Residents being robbed as Tourists and not all residents have their brains in the bottom of a beer glass,how many visitors have been mugged and hurt near Victoria Court, does that mean they shouldn't go out,and along the road from Harveys to Parque Tropical how many people have had their bag snatched off their shoulders by youths on scooters. Do you not think people like Blondie and Woollie are not aware of the problem, and I am certain they didn't have their brains in the bottom of a beer glass.
I really cannot see the point of comparing the UK to Tenerife every time a thread like this comes up, and as for comparing Tenerife Police to the UK Police? well really if you cannot see the difference between the two what is there to say?
Has anybody bothered to find out how many Scandinavians have been the victims of crime, the Brits aren't the only Nationality here, but as this is an English Speaking Forum we will never know as very few if any post on here.

Ecky Thump
21-01-2015, 14:25
Sorry but there are just as many Residents being robbed as Tourists and not all residents have their brains in the bottom of a beer glass,how many visitors have been mugged and hurt near Victoria Court, does that mean they shouldn't go out,and along the road from Harveys to Parque Tropical how many people have had their bag snatched off their shoulders by youths on scooters. Do you not think people like Blondie and Woollie are not aware of the problem, and I am certain they didn't have their brains in the bottom of a beer glass.
I really cannot see the point of comparing the UK to Tenerife every time a thread like this comes up, and as for comparing Tenerife Police to the UK Police? well really if you cannot see the difference between the two what is there to say?
Has anybody bothered to find out how many Scandinavians have been the victims of crime, the Brits aren't the only Nationality here, but as this is an English Speaking Forum we will never know as very few if any post on here.

I'm not arguing with you and have agreed with what you have said and have certainly not said differently.

As for comparing the Tenerife police with the UK police, I'm sure that you know that it was used as a example of saying why we continually compare the the same problems of the two countries, as Tenerife is not unique in having thieves living amongst us....just as I used the British pensioners and the Euro as a example.

As I now am happily spending a quarter of my life in Tenerife, I have right from the start of this thread empathised with the people who live in Tenerife and take holidays there, as I did when I replied to seanocelt in post #8 :-)

chifleta
21-01-2015, 14:34

Good question - my mum was talking to someone (she talks to anyone) at airport (a Scandi) who had been waiting at bus stop the other morning (early) to go to catch his flight home, and a car pulled up and a couple of blokes jumped out stole all his stuff (except money which luckily he had hidden in another place), so obviously missed flight and spent day or two trying to get emergency passport. This goes on a lot more than we all think.

I know of neighbour who had their gold necklace ripped from her neck, a gym buddy who had her apartment broken into whilst her brother was having a siesta, had her car broken into on another occasion (mind you, I did in this case tell her she was mad because she'd had her laptop inside car), and I have a go at her often about leaving her purse on the table in the bar when we're having a well earned cuppa after a heavy gym session.

martincrabb99
21-01-2015, 15:02

Crime occurs everywhere not just tourist locations or areas of deprivation and the only way to get a balanced view is for every victim of crime to seriously consider reporting the crime committed to allow the crime analysts to inform the operational officers and then target hotspots. Whether the Police on the island do this I'm not sure? As for getting a balanced view this would mean a full crime survey and I can assure you that is impossible with the transient population which you correctly point out is quite large on Tenerife. I would think that full time residents would give a better picture and this combined with actual reports would be useful. As for crime watch I stand by what I say......information is always useful to visitors and residents alike. I have found this debate interesting and indeed useful.

Hepa
21-01-2015, 16:23
Crime, almost unknown here, El Hierro, however a few years ago a gang of ram raiders came across and emptied an electrical store, the Guardia swooped on the ferry port just before the ferry was due to sail, all those involved arrested, all property recovered and a big white van confiscated. The criminals haven`t bothered since.

When I first arrived many years ago, I asked the local bank manager what the crime situation was, he replied with a smile, we had a very serious incident some years ago, someone vandalised a telephone box,

warbey
21-01-2015, 22:06

This Thread WAS about crime in Puerto Cruz.

What I think it Highlights is that these Scum are invading unsuspecting People, most of whom, (so far as We know) Residents of that Area..

We all know the Island's main source of Income could well be Tourism.

This is not that big an Island, and I think that the Authorities should be more concerned about the EFFECT of Crime on Tourists

and accept it is now affecting Residents.

Because of the circumstances of People being there temporarily there seems to be a Reluctance to REPORT Crime

and when I was robbed some Years back, Hotel Reception asked Me to forget about it.

As for a limit of 3 or 4 Hundred Euros minimum to be classed as a Crime, I think Someone has

watched too much Walt Disney in Their Ivory Towers......................................Wake Up!!

chifleta
21-01-2015, 22:58

As for a limit of 3 or 4 Hundred Euros minimum to be classed as a Crime, I think Someone has

watched too much Walt Disney in Their Ivory Towers......................................Wake Up!!

sin comentarios JAJAJAJAJAJA

http://www.teinteresa.es/espana/Robar-bienes-violencia-disimulo-delincuente_0_869913928.html
:whistle:

Quote "Los detalles que marcan la diferencia están contenidos en el Título XIII del Código Penal, referente a los delitos contra el patrimonio y el orden socioeconómico. Aquel que se lleva bienes de otras personas, sin utilizar la fuerza ni la intimidación y por valor inferior a los 400 euros ni siquiera concurre en delito, sino en una falta, por lo que saldrá libremente de comisaría en caso de ser detenido.

La ley especifica cada capítulo del delito, y su correspondiente rango de penas. Así, superar en un hurto el valor de los 400 euros supone exponerse a pena de prisión de hasta 18 meses, por lo que los cacos saben bien poner el límite. "

Google is your friend if you don't understand Spanish ;)

martincrabb99
22-01-2015, 02:59
sin comentarios JAJAJAJAJAJA

http://www.teinteresa.es/espana/Robar-bienes-violencia-disimulo-delincuente_0_869913928.html
:whistle:

Quote "Los detalles que marcan la diferencia están contenidos en el Título XIII del Código Penal, referente a los delitos contra el patrimonio y el orden socioeconómico. Aquel que se lleva bienes de otras personas, sin utilizar la fuerza ni la intimidación y por valor inferior a los 400 euros ni siquiera concurre en delito, sino en una falta, por lo que saldrá libremente de comisaría en caso de ser detenido.

La ley especifica cada capítulo del delito, y su correspondiente rango de penas. Así, superar en un hurto el valor de los 400 euros supone exponerse a pena de prisión de hasta 18 meses, por lo que los cacos saben bien poner el límite. "

Google is your friend if you don't understand Spanish ;)

I'm not sure about this and have raised the question...the answer I got was that this applies to a misdemeanour as opposed to a crime.

seanocelt
22-01-2015, 03:24
I dropped an elderly couple off in the vicinity of Hotel Columbus tonight. They said 3 young possibly Romanian people accosted them the second they left the taxi dropping them at Barranco Bungalows from the airport last week. . Thankfully they sussed it and made a commotion so the perps fled. Tonight, from Oro Blanco to Columbus and down from there to Banco Santander i saw several young black "prostitues" hanging around, following people, and looking for targets. So blatant. Area being ruined. Anyone who is in disbelief how quickly it has deteriorated please take a trip down from midnight on, park, walk, see how many approaches you get. As for the other road, from Veronicas to Starco, and on up past Torres de Yomely, you may need help counting. Horrid.

Leam_Lin
22-01-2015, 10:00
What with the dodgy'electrical' shops, prossies & pickpockets people will think 'what a place'

Medman
22-01-2015, 10:14
What with the dodgy'electrical' shops, prossies & pickpockets people will think 'what a place'

I must admit, the posts here do concern me a bit. I don't know if it's concentrated in certain areas that the police choose to ignore. We have mostly stayed either at or next to the Mare Nostrum Resort, and at night we don't usually venture any further than the Patch. Odd nights we will take a taxi up to San Eugenio area to visit Harleys (by-passing Veronicas etc) or head the other way to El Mirador strip. Maybe, we've just been lucky, but we have never experienced the intimidating atmosphere or people that unfortunately other people have.

There always seems to be a constant police presence around the Mare Nostrum and Safari Centre, day and night, and we have always felt safe around this area as it's always busy.

Sadly, I suppose it's like any other town, there are certain areas you would not venture into after dark, but nevertheless it is worrying . Please don't let the lunatics take over the asylum !!

chifleta
22-01-2015, 12:03
I'm not sure about this and have raised the question...the answer I got was that this applies to a misdemeanour as opposed to a crime.

it applies to theft, probably non-violent, but it applies.

I must admit, the posts here do concern me a bit. I don't know if it's concentrated in certain areas that the police choose to ignore. We have mostly stayed either at or next to the Mare Nostrum Resort, and at night we don't usually venture any further than the Patch. Odd nights we will take a taxi up to San Eugenio area to visit Harleys (by-passing Veronicas etc) or head the other way to El Mirador strip. Maybe, we've just been lucky, but we have never experienced the intimidating atmosphere or people that unfortunately other people have.

There always seems to be a constant police presence around the Mare Nostrum and Safari Centre, day and night, and we have always felt safe around this area as it's always busy.

Sadly, I suppose it's like any other town, there are certain areas you would not venture into after dark, but nevertheless it is worrying . Please don't let the lunatics take over the asylum !!

Adeje exclusive area, Adeje police .... makes you think right! .... problem is, you hear of all these happenings, but like someone said before, it's not always reported, people don't complain in the correct places (we can all complain here, but if it's not done officially, nothing will change)... but it's happening, and that's not rumour mongering - even I am extra vigilant - I'm someone that usually has a small rucksack or rucksack type handbag, and more often than not nowadays I swing it round under my arm, I just know that I need to be extra careful in crowded areas, even in the supermarkets i'm extra careful - i don't carry cash around with me, only a fiver normally, but it'd be a real pain in the posterior if someone nicked my purse with my cards in.

I live in Fraile (yes yes i've heard it all before, crims don't pee in their own gardens .. i've lived here a long while). Fraile residents used to complain often about improving things, it worked to an extent, but it's no-where near perfect. Costa del Silencio residents at one time also complained enough to get more policing - but I do know there are still a lot of problems there also.

Mind you, even with more policing, it still comes down to stupid laws whereby if the theft is below 400 euros, the criminals know they will probably get away with it. Sad, but actually true.

Medman
22-01-2015, 12:29
it applies to theft, probably non-violent, but it applies.

Adeje exclusive area, Adeje police .... makes you think right! .... problem is, you hear of all these happenings, but like someone said before, it's not always reported, people don't complain in the correct places (we can all complain here, but if it's not done officially, nothing will change)... but it's happening, and that's not rumour mongering - even I am extra vigilant - I'm someone that usually has a small rucksack or rucksack type handbag, and more often than not nowadays I swing it round under my arm, I just know that I need to be extra careful in crowded areas, even in the supermarkets i'm extra careful - i don't carry cash around with me, only a fiver normally, but it'd be a real pain in the posterior if someone nicked my purse with my cards in.

I live in Fraile (yes yes i've heard it all before, crims don't pee in their own gardens .. i've lived here a long while). Fraile residents used to complain often about improving things, it worked to an extent, but it's no-where near perfect. Costa del Silencio residents at one time also complained enough to get more policing - but I do know there are still a lot of problems there also.

Mind you, even with more policing, it still comes down to stupid laws whereby if the theft is below 400 euros, the criminals know they will probably get away with it. Sad, but actually true.

The 400 euro threshold is quite honestly (and forgive the pun) a cop-out !! Anytime I'm out and about in Tenerife, I never have more than 400 euros on me. In fact it's normally between 100-150 if we are going out for dinner. Losing up to 400 euros would certainly spoil anyone's holiday, so to refer to it as a "misdemeanor" is so wrong.

primrose
22-01-2015, 12:40
http://www.islandconnections.eu/1000003/1000043/0/44552/daily-news-article.html

Make sure the Cruise Ship passengers are looked after, the ones that come ashore for a couple of hours and return to the ship as soon as the shops close for siesta, and sod the rest.Typical thinking by the Powers that be in Tenerife.

warbey
22-01-2015, 21:30

I understand that the Authorities may not listen to Us on here.

I am also aware that nowadays this Forum is connected with other Social Forums.

We just may be able to shout loud enough to get Their Attention if this has become alarming to Us, who do have some experience..??

shaun kelly
22-01-2015, 23:33
The 400 euro threshold is quite honestly (and forgive the pun) a cop-out !! Anytime I'm out and about in Tenerife, I never have more than 400 euros on me. In fact it's normally between 100-150 if we are going out for dinner. Losing up to 400 euros would certainly spoil anyone's holiday, so to refer to it as a "misdemeanor" is so wrong.

Just an idea , why not advise anyone and everyone , to say they did lose more than €400 . Play them at there own game and crime figures will soar and them maybe something will be done .

kingbaker
23-01-2015, 03:46
Yep and you could find yourself on custody.

shaun kelly
23-01-2015, 10:27
How on earth do you think the police can prove you did not have €400 on you when robbed . Also lets face facts the Tenerife police could not find their own **** , with both hands !!! ???

kingbaker
23-01-2015, 10:43
That would be fraud. Why don't you look up the penalties for that.

Prisons are full of idiots who thought that they couldn't be caught.;)

Ecky Thump
23-01-2015, 10:48

I can understand Shaun's reasoning, but your right, it would lead to fraudulent insurance claims, also if it's holidays makers who make the claims, then the cost of holiday insurance will rise for everyone.

primrose
23-01-2015, 10:49

Well they aren't full of pickpockets and bag snatchers that's for sure.Think about what you have just said, you can go to Prison for lying about what has been stolen off you, but the person stealing it won't. What a crazy world.

Ecky Thump
23-01-2015, 10:54
Well they aren't full of pickpockets and bag snatchers that's for sure.Think about what you have just said, you can go to Prison for lying about what has been stolen off you, but the person stealing it won't. What a crazy world.

It is indeed a crazy world where the innocent get punished and the thieves appear to be rewarded.

kingbaker
23-01-2015, 10:55
I didn't say it wasn't crazy;)

chifleta
23-01-2015, 11:46

I've heard many a story of people with ALL their holiday money on them being stolen... and i've SEEN many a person when paying, removing from their handbag/manbag a huge wadge of notes, not even with the minimum of discretion... some even took out a clear plastic bag full of Euro notes for the whole world to see...

How on earth do you think the police can prove you did not have €400 on you when robbed . Also lets face facts the Tenerife police could not find their own **** , with both hands !!! ???

I think the question is that "when/if" they catch a thief, said thief knows the laws and would probably be 1. stupid for getting caught or 2. stupider for getting caught with valuables with a value of over 400 Euros ....

I've even had people panic stricken come in the shop I used to work at, as they've been on beach and all their bags have been stolen, and they were just wandering around with a towel round them :( luckily the police station wasn't so far.

ps. in that particular instance it was a big Russian bloke with his girlfriend that had their belonging pinched ....

and yes, I agree the police are useless... check out the beggars too (especially Romanians ... sorry but true), some of them even have someone keeping an eye to pick out possible victims... but then that's a whole nother thread..

warbey
24-01-2015, 21:32

Boost...........

martincrabb99
24-01-2015, 23:35
No comment.......!

martincrabb99
24-01-2015, 23:53
Just an idea , why not advise anyone and everyone , to say they did lose more than €400 . Play them at there own game and crime figures will soar and them maybe something will be done .

The problem is Shaun that it would appear that a lot of people are simply not bothering to report the crime therefore the crime figures are not accurate. I did not know about this €400 rule but it seems totally preposterous to me. For example you have a good quality camera stolen worth €350 are we saying the Tenerife Police will not record this as a crime but will record it if the value is say €410. I do not understand this and it will actually encourage people to state the value of their property is higher. It is totally unproductive and may lead to victims of crime actually committing crimes such as insurance fraud. This need looking at and I am seriously thinking of writing to their Chief Officer to complain about this ludicrous rule. It's just Bonkers and makes my blood boil!

seanocelt
25-01-2015, 04:37
Well, taxi home from Hell´s Kitchen, as a few of us call it now, was a hoot. Taxi driver slammed hands on horn passing along hookers row from Oro Blanco towards BP station road that takes you to TF1. "Problemo con otro coche?" i enquired. "No, transexuals are now here in my face" he said in English. Guess he copped an eyeful as we passed. Not goo huh?

macdonald5
25-01-2015, 10:05
Friends of our stayed in Oro Blanco as part of their Cruise/ stay holiday
The 'ladies' and others who hang around this area made going out in evenings impossible ,when refused they turned quite nasty and threatening to couples

kingbaker
25-01-2015, 10:48
Friends of our stayed in Oro Blanco as part of their Cruise/ stay holiday
The 'ladies' and others who hang around this area made going out in evenings impossible ,when refused they turned quite nasty and threatening to couples

When staying here, you need a car and park it ONLY in their carpark ...inside the barrier and NOT the carpark across the road or down the road.;)

Malteser Monkey
25-01-2015, 10:52
When staying here, you need a car and park it ONLY in their carpark ...inside the barrier and NOT the carpark across the road or down the road.;)

Shame - it was an ....alright kinda place before. My first ever stay was the Altamar apts mid 80's. Mind you not much else around then !:lol:

I lived in Tajinatses for the main part of my years there, never had a problem.

macdonald5
25-01-2015, 10:59
Shame - it was an ....alright kinda place before. My first ever stay was the Altamar apts mid 80's. Mind you not much else around then !:lol:

Funny MaltyM our first stay in Las Americas ,many years ago' was Altamar apts, we were due to stay in a Playa Honda but tour operator changed us to Altamar, as we arrived late at night we thought it was a Playa Honda !!
Took my sister and us days to meet up due to mix up No mobile phones then !!
Was decent area then

Malteser Monkey
25-01-2015, 11:02
Funny MaltyM our first stay in Las Americas ,many years ago' was Altamar apts, we were due to stay in a Playa Honda but tour operator changed us to Altamar, as we arrived late at night we thought it was a Playa Honda !!
Took my sister and us days to meet up due to mix up No mobile phones then !!
Was decent area then

We coulda been there at the same time - think the first bar you encountered was the Martini Bar:lol:

macdonald5
25-01-2015, 11:10
We coulda been there at the same time - think the first bar you encountered was the Martini Bar:lol:

Yes a few good bars on stretch ,was Fenecia and Bahamas 1 on that patch too ? Louis one of the waiters was a 'wee luv' !!
Chinese we visited for years also there Ohhhh memories !! Safer times then !!

Malteser Monkey
25-01-2015, 11:31
Yes a few good bars on stretch ,was Fenecia and Bahamas 1 on that patch too ? Louis one of the waiters was a 'wee luv' !!
Chinese we visited for years also there Ohhhh memories !! Safer times then !!

First Chinky I went to was in Veronicas - they had 2 lovely shoe shops in there then. I came home with 2 very nice pairs.

There was a Restaurant just on the left hand side of Torres de Yomely little Canarian place - did lovely food and bread rolls that I can remember even today - just something about them and they served them with unsalted butter

Ohhh the things you remember........................when not p@@d:bootyshake:

kingbaker
25-01-2015, 11:44
Ah Malteser Monkey....the Tajinasty years!!!!:D:p

Ladies and macdonald5 when will ye stop crying into yer Ovaltine, this is the bagsnatchers channel!!:D

Malteser Monkey
25-01-2015, 11:50
Ah Malteser Monkey....the Tajinasty years!!!!:D:p

Ladies and macdonald5 when ye stop crying into yer Ovaltine, this is the bagsnatchers channel!!:D

You're a fine one to type ..........:whistle::D

seanocelt
25-01-2015, 14:52

Sad to see the creatures lurking there nowadays. On a similar note, someone on facebook reporting a friend got their wallet nicked at Los Cris market this morning. Only mentioning it because, as folks keep saying here, had all cards, money etc all in one wallet, again.

Leam_Lin
25-01-2015, 15:06
Sad to see the creatures lurking there nowadays. On a similar note, someone on facebook reporting a friend got their wallet nicked at Los Cris market this morning. Only mentioning it because, as folks keep saying here, had all cards, money etc all in one wallet, again.

Why do people never learn, just enough money spread about.

The gypsy women who shop on our market usually have their money tucked in their bra, usually rolls of 20's.!

marbro8
25-01-2015, 15:11
as i don't carry much around with me in either the day or on a night out in tenerife, because of a previous experience of having my pockets picked, i wonder if there is some sort of gadget on the market like an exploding wallet? not just a joke one, but one that would blow some fingers off when opened, i would gladly carry it around all day in the hope of catching out some thieving scumbag:angry:

Carol55
25-01-2015, 15:15
as i don't carry much around with me in either the day or on a night out in tenerife, because of a previous experience of having my pockets picked, i wonder if there is some sort of gadget on the market like an exploding wallet? not just a joke one, but one that would blow some fingers off when opened, i would gladly carry it around all day in the hope of catching out some thieving scumbag:angry:

Be careful what pocket you carry it in....a misfire could be painful.:wink:

Malteser Monkey
25-01-2015, 15:15

Sounds like a plan

TOTO 99
25-01-2015, 15:24

Yeah, I'm sure once you've explained what it's for customs will wave you right on through..:lol:.....:lol:

Tshirt
25-01-2015, 20:11
The gypsy women who shop on our market usually have their money tucked in their bra, usually rolls of 20's.!

I thought I heard a titter run through the crowd [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

warbey
25-01-2015, 20:22
Yeah, I'm sure once you've explained what it's for customs will wave you right on through..:lol:.....:lol:

Why's that. Have THEY been robbed too.!:D:D

Could well have been...............................

marbro8
25-01-2015, 20:57
Sounds like a plan i was searching the internet for one, but they only make joke ones:(, but someone did it in paris after getting fed up of being pickpocketed, it injured 2 of the pickpockets quite badly, the guy rang the police station to own up after hearing that they had to go to hospital, he said he was going to hand himself in, but after putting the phone down he never turned up:lol:

Ecky Thump
25-01-2015, 21:20
i was searching the internet for one, but they only make joke ones:(, but someone did it in paris after getting fed up of being pickpocketed, it injured 2 of the pickpockets quite badly, the guy rang the police station to own up after hearing that they had to go to hospital, he said he was going to hand himself in, but after putting the phone down he never turned up:lol:

When you say, "he was going to hand himself in, did you mean, that he was going to "hand his hand in" .?:crylaughing:

warbey
27-01-2015, 20:04
When you say, "he was going to hand himself in, did you mean, that he was going to "hand his hand in" .?:crylaughing:

marbro8 is a Handyman if looking for One..

essexeddie
27-01-2015, 21:01
Friends of mine were mugged Saturday night outside El Rincon LC. had her bag snatched. There was four of my friends all walking home when a guy seemed to come from nowhere. So quick, he was away before they realised what had happened.

primrose
27-01-2015, 21:05
Friends of mine were mugged Saturday night outside El Rincon LC. had her bag snatched. There was four of my friends all walking home when a guy seemed to come from nowhere. So quick, he was away before they realised what had happened.

Which part of El Rincon?

essexeddie
27-01-2015, 21:09
Which part of El Rincon?

The side alley from the front where the rusty digger is parked

martincrabb99
27-01-2015, 21:43

Drug Driven? Possibly!

Carol55
27-01-2015, 21:47
Drug Driven? Possibly!

Or even probably, as I would think that more small thefts are made to feed a drug habit than to feed a hungry family.:dontknow:

Bazz
28-01-2015, 20:48

Whereabouts is this exactly?

primrose
28-01-2015, 22:04
Whereabouts is this exactly?

The very last Apartments next to Guaza Mountain, in front of Parque Tropical.

marbro8
28-01-2015, 22:16
is that just round the corner from the penny farthing?

primrose
28-01-2015, 22:24
is that just round the corner from the penny farthing?

No. further along the road past the spare land facing the beach.

tracy hampshire
29-01-2015, 16:46
never hear of anything like that up where I live , but then 98% of the people are canarian & we are all skint , called in at Iceland in chafiras just before Christmas , kept my rucksack safely tucked under my arm , noticed people giving me a wide birth , then saw my reflection in the window outside , I d been delivering some stuff to the south , from up here in the north , grubby sweat shirt , leggings , fluffy socks & boots , bloody hell everyone thought I was a pickpocket, one thing for sure looking like that I wasn t a target ;)

warbey
29-01-2015, 21:09

x

x

Nice to see You Tracey. Been a while......

never hear of anything like that up where I live , but then 98% of the people are canarian & we are all skint , called in at Iceland in chafiras just before Christmas , kept my rucksack safely tucked under my arm , noticed people giving me a wide birth , then saw my reflection in the window outside , I d been delivering some stuff to the south , from up here in the north , grubby sweat shirt , leggings , fluffy socks & boots , bloody hell everyone thought I was a pickpocket, one thing for sure looking like that I wasn t a target ;)

Ha Ha...........................

tfs1
31-01-2015, 18:33
Someone I know had their wallet pinched near the Los Cristianos bus station yesterday by a well dressed couple whose distraction was asking targets for directions, Be aware.

ellie.wheeler
05-01-2016, 13:07
Bizzarrely our friend was pick pocketed quite blatantly over Christmas and there was approx 400 euros in his pocket. He approached him to ask for a light for his ciggy. He wasn't Spanish but looked Eastern European at a glance and very quick on his feet. Unfortunately friend did not report it as he said he has learnt a valuable lesson to not carry so much around. Right or wrong ??? Language barriers make you reluctant to report I think

FredWisley
17-05-2016, 14:01
Be careful what pocket you carry it in....a misfire could be painful.