PDA

View Full Version : Bad versus good service when buying a MiFi card

Jeff
22-01-2015, 10:21
Went to A1 to buy a SIM card for our MIFI. They sold me one but never gave me the PIN number and said only they could too it up... for a fee... They also botched the repair of my laptop after keeping it 36 hours after quoting a 1 hour service..

Bought a Hits MIFI from the apple phone shop opposite of Los Cristianos bus station. Cheaper and service was 10/10. They also sorted the laptop for free. Spanish run versus Indian run.

Just saying,

Stay Safe...

candy2411
22-01-2015, 13:28
I bought a Vodafone mobile wifi from A1 couple of weeks ago, think I paid a bit more than similar thing would have cost in UK but hey, when in Tenerife. Cost me 20 euros for 2 GB for 30 days and had no idea how long would last. Well pleased with product, works like a dream and after 14 days had only used half of allowance but still worth paying for as I was getting fed up using WIfi in bars which was invariably slow .
A1 said I would have to top up with them on my return, but as its unlocked can't see why I can't top up elsewhere or get new sim card. Not sure what Vodafone charge for 2 GB , anyone know?

tfs1
22-01-2015, 14:09
I bought a Vodafone mobile wifi from A1 couple of weeks ago, think I paid a bit more than similar thing would have cost in UK but hey, when in Tenerife. Cost me 20 euros for 2 GB for 30 days and had no idea how long would last. Well pleased with product, works like a dream and after 14 days had only used half of allowance but still worth paying for as I was getting fed up using WIfi in bars which was invariably slow .
A1 said I would have to top up with them on my return, but as its unlocked can't see why I can't top up elsewhere or get new sim card. Not sure what Vodafone charge for 2 GB , anyone know?

When we are at our place in Spain, which is in middle of nowhere, I use my Vodafone dongle which has a removable PAYG Internet activated Vodafone SIM and 2Gb costs €38.72 and lasts max of 30 days.

When used up or 30 days gone you then need to send txt to get another chuck of Gb, options from 100mb to 2Gb, 7days to 30 days, €9.68 to €38.72.

candy2411
22-01-2015, 14:34
thanks for that tfs1, looks like I'll be going back to A1 when I need a top up then !

tfs1
22-01-2015, 14:46
thanks for that tfs1, looks like I'll be going back to A1 when I need a top up then !

sounds cheaper than mine ! - how does it work ? - when does the 30 days start from, is it from when you first use it or from the day you buy it/top it up, how do you find out how much data you have left, what do you actually get..

candy2411
22-01-2015, 15:05
I paid a total of 75 euros ( 55 for the mifi and 20 euros top up for 2 GB) I used it rightaway so cant be sure if the 30 days starts from top up or date of first use. I downloaded the Vodafone mobile wifi app monitor onto to phone and tablet and I can check anytime the mifi is switched on what the usage is . They told me if I used Skype or downloaded videos etc the allowance would get used up quickly but as I used only for e mail ,facebook, free calls via facebook messenger and internet the allowance lasted well . I probably used it for couple hours a day and only used less than 1GB in 14 days. Apparently it will support up to 5 devices at a time but haven't yet used it to connect more than 3 or a laptop. Well pleased so far.

tfs1
22-01-2015, 15:16
candy2411,

thanks for the info. I would be interested to see how much you have to pay for a further 2GB unless anyone else can confirm what the cost is to topup after the initial purchase.

Jeff
22-01-2015, 15:27

If you have the SIM card pin number, you can top it up. A1 does not give it to you as they should when you buy a sim card. Otherwise you would be able to top it up on line or at any dealer. If you buy a new card as we had to, you have to make sure you get the pin number of the SIM Card too.

A1 must know what they are doing and that it is just wrong. The guys at APPTECHNOLOGY near the Los Cris bus station sorted us a Hits mobile MIFI sim with 3GB for 24E. and gave us the PIN NUMBER so we can top it up on line.

For knocking off tourists on a one-off purchase, I can see why A1 try it on but they must know that residents or long term snow birds will suss them out.

My first bit of business with them and they jammed me. Not the way to win me over. I would not buy anything from them.

Just saying. Others may find them differently.

tfs1
22-01-2015, 15:51
I use Lycamobile for my calls to the UK where I am unable to use Hangouts for those 'internet free' calls.

I will be looking at using the Data option with Lyca (to replace the expensive Vodafone) as Lyca data prices are on par with those mentioned with HITS and the A1 options. This will be used for interent access in Spain as we haven't yet got WIFI in the orange groves just yet.

Regarding HITS what provider do they use ie Movistar/Vodafone etc ?

Jeff
22-01-2015, 16:04
I believe Hits piggyback on Movistar but I could be wrong. We have reloaded the Hits sim card via the Hits website recently and it was painless.

I have heard good things about Lyca as well but with any of these, you are on a loser if the vendor doesn't give you the sim card pin number.

Caveat and all.

BTW my device is a Huawei something or other. About £20 from Argos in the UK and will allow 9 devices including tablets phones and laptops but we have never used more than three at once.

Any of these sims will burn data quickly with skype or video applications or big updates or download processes.

tfs1
22-01-2015, 16:59
I believe Hits piggyback on Movistar but I could be wrong. We have reloaded the Hits sim card via the Hits website recently and it was painless.

I have heard good things about Lyca as well but with any of these, you are on a loser if the vendor doesn't give you the sim card pin number.

Caveat and all.

BTW my device is a Huawei something or other. About £20 from Argos in the UK and will allow 9 devices including tablets phones and laptops but we have never used more than three at once.

Any of these sims will burn data quickly with skype or video applications or big updates or download processes.

Good point re data burn, not to be used for anything more than emails,searches, standard website use etc. Moved to Lyca a few years ago having dumped Movistar when they started charging 65c+/min for calls to the UK.

candy2411
22-01-2015, 18:36
seems I may have paid over the odds for the Vodafone mifi but I'm happy with Vodafone signal in my apartment so wanted stay with their product. A1 led me to believe a top up through them would be only 20 euros for a further 2GB 30 days but it will now be next month before I am back in Tenerife. Topping up my sim card will be my first job so will let you know the outcome. Incidentally, my brother is now in my apartment and more than happy use up the IGB allowance I had left !!

tfs1
22-01-2015, 19:26
candy2411,

look forward to hearing from you when you return. We have free WIFI at our complex so dont need it in Tenerife, interested in other options for when we are in Spain.

candy2411
24-02-2015, 20:24
Pleased to report back just topped up another 30 days at A1 computers 20euros for 2GB so still a happy customer.

almendros
20-04-2015, 13:34
Anyone topped up recently at A1 computers if so how much for 2GB coming back out May

candy2411
21-04-2015, 17:02
Anyone topped up recently at A1 computers if so how much for 2GB coming back out May

topped up a month ago, still 20 euros lasting 30 days:)