PDA

View Full Version : Carol’s cancer coach is on the road at last

Canarian Weekly
23-01-2015, 12:40
TWO years after Carol Chappell began raising funds for a mini-bus to transport cancer victims to Canderlaria Hospital, she has realised her ambition.
After some magnificent fund-raising feats, including a monthly market and generous donations from supporters, proud Carol was handed the keys by Pedro Cabrera Montelongo, boss of Ford’s Archiautos showroom in Las Chafiras, last Thursday.
She promptly handed it over to Spanish cancer charity Contra de Cancer (AECC), as promised, to the delight of everyone gathered there.
When official funding for free transport to Candelaria from the South was chopped in 2013, Carol promptly set up a daily voluntary rota system service for a mother and daughter, both hit by the deadly disease.
The scheme lasted nearly six months until Carol realised it was putting an awful strain on everyone involved. And that’s when the coach idea came to her.
“These volunteers probably wouldn’t want their names mentioned, but their kindness has not been forgotten,” she said.
Once her story had been published in Canarian Weekly, a local company became involved and promptly made available a suitable mini-bus until hers materialised.
Now, she is celebrating her magnificent achievement, after many anxious days and nights of worry.
Carol told those gathered at Archiautos that although she founded the entire project, superb backing came from Brits and companies on the Island who would probably never benefit from it.
So far, a total of around 75,000 euros has been raised, which has paid for the bus and two years of running, maintenance, insurance and petrol costs.
She mentioned the Swallows, who donated 4,000 euros to purchase two permanent seats, and other members of the Los Cristianos group who had donated privately.
Carole Hart, who runs the Swallows, said: “It’s a great achievement by Carol and everyone involved, and it will make such a difference to people’s lives at a time they most need it.”
Carol Chappell told Canarian Weekly: “It is good to have the opportunity to say ‘Thank You’ to so many people who have helped me with this campaign.
“Carole Page has been with me from the start, and has introduced me to a lot of generous golfing friends.
Ann Plummer, with her boundless energy, has produced hundreds of prizes for her tombolas or raffles on my Market Days.
“And thank you again to all the people who’ve helped me in one way or another on those days, not just in raising money but creating a good fun atmosphere while doing so.
“Dacil Martin offered to raise money by organising events for the Spanish people, and her professional approach proved extremely successful.”
Various people and businesses and individuals made substantial contributions, including the Swallows Golf Society at Golf del Sur; John Eddie, from Glasgow; John Harris, for Stuart; Paloma Beach Golf; Margaret & Chris Green of Wingate School; Masons Logia Ave 73; Robin, Lynn, Gavin & Bar 180, at San Blas; Keith & Jane & Tenerife Sur Golf Saturday Members’ Club; Frank Moss & Scallywaggs Golf Society; Greta Dermott-Clarke & La Caixa Los Gigantes.
La Caixa Bank at Los Gigantes gave me 1,000 euros and La Caixa, Las Americas, also donated.
Others who also donated were Christine & Phil Elliott; Terry Hibbert; Doris & Alan Hodgkinson; Kate Wilson; Philip Bernard Hoban; David Rahm; Joyce; Martin Bond; Michael Underwood family.
Carol, still in a daze after completing her marathon mission, added: “I don’t know the names of people at the presentation ceremony, but leading Cancer Administration officials were there, including the top man in the whole of Spain, and a lovely lady called Carlota Cobo Hernandez, from the Santa Cruz office of AECC, who I’ve been dealing with, and who organised everything.
“The Mayors of Arona and San Miguel were also there, and Carmen, representing Adeje Town Hall.”
There will be an instant reminder of her sheer determination to help cancer victims when another Market Day is held on Friday, 6th February, at La Peppa Food Hall (above Dial Prix & Santander), CC Pasarella, (nr Paradise Park Hotel), Los Cristianos.
It features nearly-new clothes and household ítems, and proceeds will boost mini-bus funds for the future.

More... (http://www.canarianweekly.com/carols-cancer-coach-is-road/)

Tony the Welder
24-01-2015, 09:03
well done carol, and to all the people that have helped you what a wonderful achievement

willowlily
24-01-2015, 11:49
what a wonderful story just what we need amid dreadful stories. you should be very proud of yourself carol.

caz12
24-01-2015, 14:58
well done carol and all who help you on your way

macdonald5
24-01-2015, 18:02
well done carol and all who help you on your way

Superb achievement Carol Very good news which will be a great comfort to many facing difficult times

Tony the Welder
25-01-2015, 00:41
just pushing carol to the top where she belongs

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

what is your personal achievement

Tony the Welder
25-01-2015, 14:21
just pushing carol to the top where she belongs

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

what is your personal achievement
and again well done

bonitatime