PDA

View Full Version : Other Tenerife addictions : What are you addicted to about Tenerife?

Ecky Thump
27-01-2015, 18:14
What addiction does Tenerife offer you......it's simple whatever you are addicted to that's available in Tenerife that's either better than in the UK or generally only available in Tenerife.

Here's one from tfs1 that was posted on another thread.....

Stuffed Olives, the '3pack' tins from Mercadonna - not that fresh rubbish, only 2 days to go before we have another tin or three !

essexeddie
27-01-2015, 19:32
Yup! We love olives stuffed with blue cheese.

Carol55
27-01-2015, 19:41
Roasted heavily salted small green peppers .... I'm not sure what they are called, but they are mouth watering.:yum:

lynno52
27-01-2015, 19:44
Roasted heavily salted small green peppers .... I'm not sure what they are called, but they are mouth watering.:yum:

Ooooh yes, they are lovely - Peppers Padron I think they are called?

Mine is the b-b-q lamb chops at the Margarita Restaurante

martincrabb99
27-01-2015, 19:49
I like the potato crisps from the Mercadona........crisps how crisps used to taste in the UK but sadly no longer! Tenerife crisps for me[emoji3]

Carol55
27-01-2015, 19:59
The Spanish Brandy "Magno" laced with just a splash of Drambuie and then just sip slowly while watching the world go by.

warbey
27-01-2015, 20:10

That thing in the Sky............El Sol.........................

Also addicted to listening to Conversations in Spanish, wondering if I will ever understand a word or two

Wearing Shorts, (No Socks).

Cheap Beer.

macdonald5
27-01-2015, 20:23
Shortish flight,sun, holiday friends,decent wine around €3 ,varied restaurants at reasonable prices, choices of poolside or venturing different places - these are a ' few' of my favourite Tenerife addictions

Carol55
27-01-2015, 20:41
The small fried squid I think they called "Chopitos", we used to find them in some of the bars/restaurants in the north of Tenerife, mouth watering.:yum:

Also the large selection of unusual cheeses that are available in the supermarkets is quite surprising.

Susief
27-01-2015, 21:56
Love the honey rum, always bring a bottle home.
Hubby loves the fresh mussels and langoustines (not sure spelt properly) from Mercadonas fresh fish counter.
Yummy be able to have some next week.

Ecky Thump
27-01-2015, 21:56
Dare I mention the Tenerife attraction of watching the long tanned legs of the ladies walking by.:p

Carol55
27-01-2015, 22:15
Dare I mention the Tenerife attraction of watching the long tanned legs of the ladies walking by.:p

Oh yes, you were brave enough to say it, but you should remember that it's me who WAS going to cook your dinner tomorrow!:bootyshake:

Malteser Monkey
27-01-2015, 22:24
What addiction does Tenerife offer you......it's simple whatever you are addicted to that's available in Tenerife that's either better than in the UK or generally only available in Tenerife.

Here's one from tfs1 that was posted on another thread.....

Stuffed Olives, the '3pack' tins from Mercadonna - not that fresh rubbish, only 2 days to go before we have another tin or three !

is this to do with the very early post I reported:whistle:

For me Queso de cabra - you can't get it here not it all the flavours. Here it's s..........

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

That thing in the Sky............El Sol.........................

Also addicted to listening to Conversations in Spanish, wondering if I will ever understand a word or two

Wearing Shorts, (No Socks).

Cheap Beer.

Warbey what's with the ...

and proper gambas y champiñones al ajillo - Ohh I'd pay a fortune for them right now.

U try here but it just ain't the same

Tshirt
27-01-2015, 23:46
Churros,
Ruffles Jamon crisps
Honey rum
Huge measure of Jamesons for €3

primrose
27-01-2015, 23:53
Santa Cruz.

Ecky Thump
27-01-2015, 23:55
Santa Cruz.

I take it from that single word you mean....shops, or is it the architecture of the city?;)

primrose
27-01-2015, 23:57
I take it from that single word you mean....shops, or is it the architecture of the city?;)

Everything, the shops, the architecture, the atmosphere, the people, I love it all even the Rastro on Sunday morning.

Ecky Thump
28-01-2015, 00:04
Everything, the shops, the architecture, the atmosphere, the people, I love it all even the Rastro on Sunday morning.

Is the Rastro a market?
We've been to Santa Cruz a few times and once was when HMS Liverpool docked there and my son was serving on it, then the crew marched through the streets of Santa Cruz.

LennyBoy
28-01-2015, 00:07
The relaxation :-)

primrose
28-01-2015, 00:31
Is the Rastro a market?
We've been to Santa Cruz a few times and once was when HMS Liverpool docked there and my son was serving on it, then the crew marched through the streets of Santa Cruz.

It's a cross between a car boot and Los Cristianos market but lots of stalls round quite a few streets, and the Nuestra Senora de Africa is open till 2 o'clock. https://www.google.es/search?q=nuestra+senora+de+africa+tenerife&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=dR_IVPPKEYfzUtf1gpAL It's all in the same area.

Ecky Thump
28-01-2015, 12:05
The smell of the Tarmac and the warm rush of air as I take the first step out of the plane, there is nothing to beat it, as I know I'm in for four weeks of relaxation.......apart from this August, a five 5 Day extra visit to surprise my Grandson when we arrive at the apartment and wake him up.:lol:

ribuck
28-01-2015, 12:13
Cortados y Doradas.

kingbaker
28-01-2015, 12:13
Thats all he needs...flippin' gramps turning up when he's.........:p:D:D

chifleta
28-01-2015, 14:06

Easy - my hubby ;) :crazy::eyebrows::lol::yum::devil2::devil::whistle ::spin::cheeky:

Malteser Monkey
28-01-2015, 14:34
Churros,
Ruffles Jamon crisps
Honey rum

Ahhh Cheetos salsa con queso - ohhh I nearly forgot them

Tshirt
28-01-2015, 16:57
Churros,
Ruffles Jamon crisps
Honey rum

.........and how could I forget the Barraquitos :yum::yum:

duquessa
28-01-2015, 17:14
The hero range of marmalade.

Malteser Monkey
28-01-2015, 17:39
The smell of the Tarmac and the warm rush of air as I take the first step out of the plane, there is nothing to beat it, as I know I'm in for four weeks of relaxation.......apart from this August, a five 5 Day extra visit to surprise my Grandson when we arrive at the apartment and wake him up.:lol:

Ohhh yes was always my fav when I'd been back here to visit family - open the door and that smell I knew I was back ...reef home....:D

.........and how could I forget the Barraquitos :yum::yum:

Ohhh just nip down the vault we got some lovely ones down there:yum:

marbro8
28-01-2015, 19:01
The relaxation :-)me thinks that from other posts you will be more relaxed than most m8:banana::lol::wink:, got to agree with t shirt and mr crabb about the crisps, but the jamon ruffles are the first thing in the basket at the dialaprix :yum:, i am also addicted to the €1 dorada:lol:, the abundance of sea bass and canarian potatoes with those red and green sauces:yum:

.........and how could I forget the Barraquitos :yum::yum:i can't stand em, much to sweet for me but ecky has got my wife hooked on em now, and she is diabetic:doh:

Tshirt
28-01-2015, 20:16
me thinks that from other posts you will be more relaxed than most m8:banana::lol::wink:, got to agree with t shirt and mr crabb about the crisps, but the jamon ruffles are the first thing in the basket at the dialaprix :yum:, i am also addicted to the €1 dorada:lol:, the abundance of sea bass and canarian potatoes with those red and green sauces:yum:

i can't stand em, much to sweet for me but ecky has got my wife hooked on em now, and she is diabetic:doh:

I always stir mine so I don't get the neat condensed milk at the bottom,

Ecky Thump
28-01-2015, 20:24
I always stir mine so I don't get the neat condensed milk at the bottom,

After making a cup of it, I eat what's left of the tin of condensed milk!!:yum::yum:

warbey
28-01-2015, 20:48
Except fror the Prices when en-route Home, I love to get to the Booths where We show Our Pasaportes. arriving.

Always had a Pleasant Check-in too and Nice Security going to Departures.

Had a Few giggles with the People there and, to Date, NEVER a wrong word.

Manchester has it's good points, but Security can be a Pain, as can the Dark Skinned People who look at You upon arrival

as if it were Their Country Youre returning to.

kingbaker
28-01-2015, 20:53
Except fror the Prices when en-route Home, I love to get to the Booths where We show Our Pasaportes. arriving.

Manchester has it's good points, but Security can be a Pain, as can the Dark Skinned People who look at You upon arrival

as if it were Their Country Youre returning to.

And it probably is!

trevorife2
28-01-2015, 20:56
Tomatoe ketchup pom bear crisps

imablue
28-01-2015, 20:59
Both the red and green mojo sauces and garlic mayonaise on everything,
but the Sunday Dinner ....:yum::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry::hungry:: hungry::hungry::hungry:

warbey
28-01-2015, 20:59

x

x

Another One..

Looking through the Camera at Los Cristianos for Ecky's Bike.............................................. ........

Always check the Weather too............

Ecky Thump
28-01-2015, 21:01
Manchester has it's good points, but Security can be a Pain, as can the Dark Skinned People who look at you upon arrival as if it were Their Country Youre returning to.

After you have returned from the Tenerife sunshine, the Dark Skinned People probably think that you are their relatives!:p

marbro8
30-01-2015, 20:52
i am also addicted to the walk from los cris to la caleta and back, i can't think of a more picturesque walk:wink:

Mawkin
30-01-2015, 21:55
I know some people take great pleasure in meeting and contacting some of their long lost cousins and family members who have accommodation in Tenerife which they had no idea existed until they had done hours of research in bars etc.

marbro8
30-01-2015, 23:40
i know i am addicted to the tenerife bloody forum:lol:

Malteser Monkey
30-01-2015, 23:41
i know i am addicted to the tenerife bloody forum:lol:

:hello::D:bowdown:

Ecky Thump
12-04-2016, 11:52

My first cup of holiday coffee or a cool beer at the Bar Gavota opposite the Church in Los Christianos and then I know that I've a month of sunshine to come.:sunshine:

essexeddie
12-04-2016, 12:11

My first cup of holiday coffee or a cool beer at the Bar Gavota opposite the Church in Los Christianos and then I know that I've a month of sunshine to come.:sunshine:

We usually pop in there at night for a barraquito.

Ecky Thump
12-04-2016, 15:06
We usually pop in there at night for a barraqito

I can't think of any other cafe in Los Cristianos to be truly a "Spanish" one where you find mainly local people.

I'm drinking one right now, if I don't use up the condensed milk, then my youngest grandson will attack the tin and finish it.:D

melm
12-04-2016, 20:08
:party2::drinking::drinking::vodka2: and not forgetting an afternoon siesta !

lynno52
12-04-2016, 20:19
:party2::drinking::drinking::vodka2: and not forgetting an afternoon siesta !

:agree:............

Ecky Thump
13-04-2016, 15:38
NOT being woken up at 5am by b***y seagulls and crows:D

tfs1
13-04-2016, 16:49
:agree:............

agree to, just woken from my lovely siesta, pity we have just returned from Tenerife ! but its difficult to get out of the habit.

Ecky Thump
27-12-2016, 17:19
The smell of the aviation fuel at Tenerife airport. :D

martincrabb99
27-12-2016, 17:29
The smell of the aviation fuel at Tenerife airport. :D

5 o'clock club, well 5-7 really

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ecky Thump
27-12-2016, 17:31
5 o'clock club, well 5-7 really

Is that at 5 -7am at a Midlands airport before takeoff ? :laugh:

martincrabb99
27-12-2016, 17:33
Is that at 5 -7am at a Midlands airport before takeoff ? :laugh:

I always wait until I am in Tenerife, it's cheaper![emoji56]

bennoa1
04-01-2017, 14:18
Being able to get up and go walking and be outside most of the time anyway - had a few hairy days over the last 2-3 weeks with some strong gusty wind and rain. We used the bus a lot more this time (got a Bono card) and its a great service to be able to get out and about without worrying who's going to drive. Also went wine tasting but I was driving. My favourite is the fish in Tajao - went on the bus twice but its a 15 minute walk down the hill from the motorway. Mrs discovered Mencey Chasna Afrutado (they sell it at La Mar at the end of Las Vistas (the smelly drains end), and they also sell a craft beer from La Palma which was nice too) this time too which she loves - had to drive to Vilaflor to buy some but going to the Bodegas next time we're out which is in Chimiche.
We try and do at least one thing new every time we come out - there are lots of options to pick from.

martincrabb99
04-01-2017, 14:35
Being able to get up and go walking and be outside most of the time anyway - had a few hairy days over the last 2-3 weeks with some strong gusty wind and rain. We used the bus a lot more this time (got a Bono card) and its a great service to be able to get out and about without worrying who's going to drive. Also went wine tasting but I was driving. My favourite is the fish in Tajao - went on the bus twice but its a 15 minute walk down the hill from the motorway. Mrs discovered Mencey Chasna Afrutado (they sell it at La Mar at the end of Las Vistas (the smelly drains end), and they also sell a craft beer from La Palma which was nice too) this time too which she loves - had to drive to Vilaflor to buy some but going to the Bodegas next time we're out which is in Chimiche.
We try and do at least one thing new every time we come out - there are lots of options to pick from.

The Fish restaurant(s) at Tajao are superb, on Sunday's they are usually very busy and I recall that they may be shut on a Monday. Great fresh fish of all types!

bennoa1
04-01-2017, 16:02
The Fish restaurant(s) at Tajao are superb, on Sunday's they are usually very busy and I recall that they may be shut on a Monday. Great fresh fish of all types!

We go to Agua y Sal which are closed Tuesdays. Couldn't go again as they were closing over the Xmas period for 2 weeks but enjoyed my 50th birthday there. The bread and dips are worth going for alone. Mrs bennoa1 goes back out in 4 weeks on her own and she is going there straight from the airport for some huge scallops. We drove the first 2 times but it is 3.05 euros each way per person using the Bono card from the Adeje bus station so if you get a bus (111) at 11:00 you can be in Tajao village well before 12. We like to extend our meal time and enjoy the experience but others seem to go in order food and once finished disappear. I think we were there about 3.5 hours on my birthday (busy as it was a bank holiday but I'd booked a table via Facebook months in advance) and the bill was only 55 euros including drinks for 2 and we had lots of food.

We've got a gas BBQ now so its much easier to cook something quickly and just turn it off but would ideally like another gas bottle but it took me a year to get the one we have!! Some of the meats in the Mercadona at Gran Sur are lovely especially the flat garlic chicken breasts and the pork ribs which I marinate overnight in tandoori spice mix and some lemon juice. I've cooked whole Dorada (not the beer) on it stuffed with garlic butter and its delish. Has anyone tried the Dorada (the beer) Especial - I've had Roja, Trigo and Miel now and the Miel is really moorish but hard to find.

martincrabb99
04-01-2017, 17:55
We go to Agua y Sal which are closed Tuesdays. Couldn't go again as they were closing over the Xmas period for 2 weeks but enjoyed my 50th birthday there. The bread and dips are worth going for alone. Mrs bennoa1 goes back out in 4 weeks on her own and she is going there straight from the airport for some huge scallops. We drove the first 2 times but it is 3.05 euros each way per person using the Bono card from the Adeje bus station so if you get a bus (111) at 11:00 you can be in Tajao village well before 12. We like to extend our meal time and enjoy the experience but others seem to go in order food and once finished disappear. I think we were there about 3.5 hours on my birthday (busy as it was a bank holiday but I'd booked a table via Facebook months in advance) and the bill was only 55 euros including drinks for 2 and we had lots of food.

We've got a gas BBQ now so its much easier to cook something quickly and just turn it off but would ideally like another gas bottle but it took me a year to get the one we have!! Some of the meats in the Mercadona at Gran Sur are lovely especially the flat garlic chicken breasts and the pork ribs which I marinate overnight in tandoori spice mix and some lemon juice. I've cooked whole Dorada (not the beer) on it stuffed with garlic butter and its delish. Has anyone tried the Dorada (the beer) Especial - I've had Roja, Trigo and Miel now and the Miel is really moorish but hard to find.

I've had the Dorada Especial Black label and it is spot on!

bennoa1
05-01-2017, 10:06
I've had the Dorada Especial Black label and it is spot on!

The black label is the standard one (5.5%) but they do limited editions also which is the Roja (at 6.5%), Miel (5.9%) and the Trigo (5.7%), not sure if there are others. My favourite was the miel (from El Timon in Medano but not seen anywhere else and they didn't have it last time I was in) as it adds a sweetness but also has a long aftertaste so you tend to drink it slower.

Ecky Thump
22-10-2018, 09:59

With Christmas fast approaching.....my addiction to marzipan has suddenly increased, we are now having to buy 'Christmas Cake' number three from Marks & Spencer
and even more distressing is that I'm not inTenerife to enjoy the marzipan sweets that are available in the shops there! :yum: :yum:

blondie
22-10-2018, 14:57
We go straight to the wee sweetie shop in Los Cristianos for a big back of fruit sweets OH likes the liquorice caramels which he normally
gets in our favourite sweetie shop in Largs , so not much change for him there .:yum:

Ecky Thump
22-10-2018, 15:11
We go straight to the wee sweetie shop in Los Cristianos for a big back of fruit sweets OH likes the liquorice caramels which he normally
gets in our favourite sweetie shop in Largs , so not much change for him there .:yum:

The Candy Box in Largs is fantastic and my Daughter in Law worked there from the age of fourteen until she left university.
The one in Los Cristianos almost opposite the church is where I spend too much money!

tub
22-10-2018, 20:07
i always go in mercadona for their 80 per cent chocolate and also a box of their bon bons for my sister as payment for looking after my linnet mule

ddoyle
08-11-2018, 19:51
Have to say I am addicted to Scampies, cod and chips, calima cafe in el medano, just to sit and have a coffee and watch the world go by, addicted to Playa La Pinta spend nearly every Sunday there lovely breakfast in el puerto restaurant and a pint in the Irish rose around three o clock, I could go on and on and on. Heading back down soon looking forward to driving to Huelva and catching the ferry.