PDA

View Full Version : Employment Advice please

lancslass
30-01-2015, 03:30
Would like a bit of advice please regarding a friends predicament.
Someone who has a temporary contract for 12 hours and has worked in the place for 2years,
Turns up for work only to be told by 3 members of staff "what are you doing here you've been sacked last week", so my friend phones up the boss who tells them to finish their shift and then don't come back as that was your last shift. Later on the boss came in and asked them to write a letter saying that they were leaving employment and they were asked to backdate the letter, which I think is illegal, they brought the letter home and refused to hand it in.Now the boss is asking my friend to go back to work to work their notice???? Can anyone advise my friend as I think this sounds a bit suspect to me, and the boss insists they weren't sacked.

norte
30-01-2015, 11:03
does he get paid?

doreen
30-01-2015, 13:14
Your friend should not sign any letter saying he is leaving of his own volition - he loses rights this way.

For a contract to be ended, generally the employer should give 2 weeks notice in advance, which is probably what is being requested here.

I suggest your friend take some advice as to his or her rights, holiday pay etc.

The contract was for 12 hours, but were they working longer hours than this ... I do not think they will have any entitlement to "paro" as you need the equivalent of 40 hours for the period of one year (so 20 hours over 2 years etc)

chifleta
30-01-2015, 17:18
Your friend should not sign any letter saying he is leaving of his own volition - he loses rights this way.

For a contract to be ended, generally the employer should give 2 weeks notice in advance, which is probably what is being requested here.

I suggest your friend take some advice as to his or her rights, holiday pay etc.

The contract was for 12 hours, but were they working longer hours than this ... I do not think they will have any entitlement to "paro" as you need the equivalent of 40 hours for the period of one year (so 20 hours over 2 years etc)

I agree, they should seek advice... and DON'T sign anything - tell them you will get your advisor to look over any paperwork first ;)

Not sure about a 12 hour contract, but I had 20 hour contract and got paro after 12 months working (although the percentages are different to a full time contract).