PDA

View Full Version : Restaurants Regulo Restaurant Puerto del la Cruz

Ecky Thump
01-02-2015, 17:04
in April/May, we hope to visit another of our many favourite Puerto restaurants, The Regulo, as I remember it from years past its situated in a old building just off the Plaza Del Charco and it was made up of small linked dining rooms, as it was for mainly special occasions that we visited I splashed out on the lobster with scallops and the wife had duck in I think a sweet fruity sauce.
Has anyone visited recently?

melm
01-02-2015, 17:28
Still one of the favourites in Puerto. Its now painted in a bright green colour you cant miss it. Didn't visit this time but I met many people who did.

Ecky Thump
01-02-2015, 17:44
Still one of the favourites in Puerto. Its now painted in a bright green colour you cant miss it. Didn't visit this time but I met many people who did.

I shall have to invite marbro8 to have a meal there when we visit as they do a lovely Chateaubriand....his favourite meal.

Maybe he might want to pay for our meal!;)

melm
01-02-2015, 17:46
I shall have to invite marbro8 to have a meal there when we visit as they do a lovely Chateaubriand....his favourite meal.

Maybe he might want to pay for our meal!;)

Oh I'm sure he willrolleyes2:

marbro8
01-02-2015, 19:22
Oh I'm sure he willrolleyes2:i'm glad he said maybe:laugh:

Ecky Thump
02-02-2015, 00:30
i'm glad he said maybe:laugh:

So you are leaving your options open, as a incentive to pay for the meal, I will pay your bus fare to get there......and of course Sandra's!!:p

garlicbread
02-02-2015, 12:04
I first visited this restaurant as a holiday maker in 1974 and continued to use it when I took holidays in the south west in the 80s and 90s and have used it at least twice a year since I moved to Tenerife in 2003. My last visit was on December 18 last year and I have to say I was a little disappointed. The Christmas decorations in the patio area were not nearly as good as those in previous years and the food was by no means exceptional. It wasn't as busy as it has been in the past either. I will be going back again to hopefully check the decline isn't terminal.

Seeing that you seem to like the Puerto de la Cruz area, you should try Tito's Bodeguita a restaurant just off the TF-5 at exit 35 (near La Villa shopping centre). It is a taxi ride out of PdlC, but well worth the trip, food, staff, ambiance are all excellent, we go there once a month for lunch. They have a Facebook page and a website here http://www.titosbodeguita.com/ if you need more details.

canarybird
02-02-2015, 15:54

I can heartily second that choice of Tito's Bodeguita as my favourite restaurant here in Puerto de la Cruz and I am a permanent resident.

I would give everything full marks: the garden and hermitage location, the friendly, fast service and most of all...the food! Never had a bad experience there.

I remember the owners, brother and sister Tito and Ari, when they were much younger, helping out in their parents' garden center "Jardines Atlantis", now closed.

They would help me load up my car with sacks of soil and trays of bedding plants. You can see their mother has had a hand in designing the beautiful garden at the restaurant.

Here's a small 2-page album of photos (http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Garden-Party/Titos-Luncheon/18600955_f55f89) I've made of the location and the food, taken on more than one occasion and with a couple of my girlfriends in there as well.

If you go....do try their Almogrote....that cheesy orange paste in the bread tray in one of the photos. Sometimes we could just have a meal of that with the crusty bread!

Their garlic prawns are a generous helping, and do try the goat cheese rounds salad.

The restaurant is in the area of Puerto called San Nicolas. There's a photo of the exterior in my gallery.

This is the place where I take visitors to Tenerife when they want to sample tapas and other good food.

Best to reserve a table ahead.

Ecky Thump
02-02-2015, 16:24
I
I first visited this restaurant as a holiday maker in 1974 and continued to use it when I took holidays in the south west in the 80s and 90s and have used it at least twice a year since I moved to Tenerife in 2003. My last visit was on December 18 last year and I have to say I was a little disappointed. The Christmas decorations in the patio area were not nearly as good as those in previous years and the food was by no means exceptional. It wasn't as busy as it has been in the past either. I will be going back again to hopefully check the decline isn't terminal.

Seeing that you seem to like the Puerto de la Cruz area, you should try Tito's Bodeguita a restaurant just off the TF-5 at exit 35 (near La Villa shopping centre). It is a taxi ride out of PdlC, but well worth the trip, food, staff, ambiance are all excellent, we go there once a month for lunch. They have a Facebook page and a website here http://www.titosbodeguita.com/ if you need more details.

Thanks for the information and the link to Tito's Bodeguita, we shall certainly pay it a visit for a meal while we are in the area.:yum:

melm
02-02-2015, 16:39
I

Thanks for the information and the link to Tito's Bodeguita, we shall certainly pay it a visit for a meal while we are in the area.:yum:

It is well worth a visit:yum: It is all very nice and the surroundings are amazing. The flowers are some of the most unusual ones I have ever seen, just gorgeous.

Malteser Monkey
02-02-2015, 16:44
Ohh lovely Croquetas de platano - ooo never heard of those before sound lovely - is that an Empanada of leeks and some kind of sauce ?? canarybird

I can just taste those gambas !!

Almogrote (spelling) love it need to put that on my cheese thread

garlicbread
02-02-2015, 20:23

I can heartily second that choice of Tito's Bodeguita as my favourite restaurant here in Puerto de la Cruz and I am a permanent resident.

I would give everything full marks: the garden and hermitage location, the friendly, fast service and most of all...the food! Never had a bad experience there.

I remember the owners, brother and sister Tito and Ari, when they were much younger, helping out in their parents' garden center "Jardines Atlantis", now closed.

They would help me load up my car with sacks of soil and trays of bedding plants. You can see their mother has had a hand in designing the beautiful garden at the restaurant.

Here's a small 2-page album of photos (http://canarybird.smugmug.com/Garden-Party/Titos-Luncheon/18600955_f55f89) I've made of the location and the food, taken on more than one occasion and with a couple of my girlfriends in there as well.

If you go....do try their Almogrote....that cheesy orange paste in the bread tray in one of the photos. Sometimes we could just have a meal of that with the crusty bread!

Their garlic prawns are a generous helping, and do try the goat cheese rounds salad.

The restaurant is in the area of Puerto called San Nicolas. There's a photo of the exterior in my gallery.

This is the place where I take visitors to Tenerife when they want to sample tapas and other good food.

Thanks for the pictures......oh and next time you see Angelika, say hello from Sue & Mike ....she'll know who you mean!

canarybird
02-02-2015, 20:48
MM......yes that's leek in a cream sauce in puff pastry, one of my favourite dishes.

Garlicbread......i'll say hello to Angelika.....didn't I introduce you to her long ago ? ��
She's a clever lady, and is one of my longtime friends and luncheon partners here on the island.

Ecky Thump
02-02-2015, 21:12
I've just been looking at the reviews for the Regulo on Trip Advisor and am pleased to see lots of good reviews like the one below..

Best restaurants come better when they grow older as good wines. Regolo is excellent Italien Sartoris ripasso redwine from Verona with medium price. Regulo is same kind of restaurant, gets better and better and allways with medium price. Our january 2014 two visits to Regulo were maybe our twenties time in that restaurant. All allways we have been very pleased with all. Waiters are so polite and professional. Decoration in every room is so stylish. Especially room where there is painting from La Palma island is very fashionable. This time me and wife ate chateaubriand and it was so huge and tasteful portion that we had problems to have anything from desserts list. But we did it anyway and didnt get disappointed. Redwine list is also excellent with reasonable price, forexample Riojas Ardanza reserva 2004. Our little hope is that some day there is at least one italian redwine, maybe amarone in winelist. After eating so many calorieswe had to go to fine Cafe de Paris to dance with duo Archi and its majectetic trumpet player, but thats another story.

marbro8
03-02-2015, 00:01
So you are leaving your options open, as a incentive to pay for the meal, I will pay your bus fare to get there......and of course Sandra's!!:pthat will be more than the meal:lol:

Ecky Thump
03-02-2015, 00:08
that will be more than the meal:lol:

OAP's rates!:cheeky:

Megaloo
03-02-2015, 01:11
I can definitely say Tito's is wonderful I also love the place go there on a regular basis. so do not miss out you must go

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Going off topic a little but I always also loved La Boheime just off the Square but I need to warn people it has changed hands and is not as good unfortunately

garlicbread
03-02-2015, 11:18
MM......yes that's leek in a cream sauce in puff pastry, one of my favourite dishes.

Garlicbread......i'll say hello to Angelika.....didn't I introduce you to her long ago ? ��
She's a clever lady, and is one of my longtime friends and luncheon partners here on the island.

You did indeed introduce us to Angelika! She has helped us a great deal and we'd like to think she is our friend too. Maybe one day we could make a foursome at Tito's for lunch, you could give me some photography tips and I'll pick up the tab!!!

canarybird
03-02-2015, 11:33

Lovely idea garlicbread! I'd be delighted to meet you both.

And I'm always happy to give any photography tips if I can.

But no need for you to pick up the tab. Lunches out here with friends are always on a pay-your-own basis.

Looking forward to a future get together. :)

Ecky Thump
03-02-2015, 12:13
Although the Regulo is proud to offer a traditional Canarian menu of local meat, fish, cheeses and wine, they will go one step further, as when we took our youngest Grandson there when he was five years old his idea of a good meal out was a burger with chips...the chef obliged and made him a burger (not on the menu) complete with a coca cola and I have to say it was delicious as I devoured half of it!:lol:

Malteser Monkey
03-02-2015, 16:55

Here we are lynno52

Ecky Thump
23-09-2016, 13:51
It's nearly that time while we are holidaying in Los Cristianos to start planning a visit to Puerto del la Cruz and its sure to include a meal at the Regulo Restaurant, that will have to mean staying a night at the Monopol Hotel, which is the wifes favourite central place to stay.

garlicbread
23-09-2016, 17:25
Have lived in Tenerife since 2003 but have been visiting PDLC for much longer and back in the 80s, & 90s, the Regulo was a REALLY good restaurant but last time we were there in December 2015 it was definitely not so good. Prices have steadily risen of course but neither service nor food was not up to their old standard. As for the Monopol, stayed there in July this year and have to say it is looking VERY "tired" and the atmosphere in the bar was less exciting than some Quaker meetings I've been to, will not be going back. Check with them that the noisy building work outside has stopped before you book if you're determined to go back.

Carol55
23-09-2016, 17:46
It's nearly that time while we are holidaying in Los Cristianos to start planning a visit to Puerto del la Cruz and its sure to include a meal at the Regulo Restaurant, that will have to mean staying a night at the Monopol Hotel, which is the wifes favourite central place to stay.

Have lived in Tenerife since 2003 but have been visiting PDLC for much longer and back in the 80s, & 90s, the Regulo was a REALLY good restaurant but last time we were there in December 2015 it was definitely not so good. Prices have steadily risen of course but neither service nor food was not up to their old standard. As for the Monopol, stayed there in July this year and have to say it is looking VERY "tired" and the atmosphere in the bar was less exciting than some Quaker meetings I've been to, will not be going back. Check with them that the noisy building work outside has stopped before you book if you're determined to go back.

We (Ecky and I ) have also been going to Puerto since the 1980's and used to stay at the Molino Blanco apartments, hence my new venue for a meal.

Maybe we will change the restaurant to the Magnolia and think about another hotel.

For a lunchtime meal it will probably be the La Casona in the Plaza del Charco....my favourite meal there is the halibut served in a champagne sauce with some some clavier.

Ecky Thump
24-09-2016, 15:12
We (Ecky and I ) have also been going to Puerto since the 1980's and used to stay at the Molino Blanco apartments, hence my new venue for a meal.

Maybe we will change the restaurant to the Magnolia and think about another hotel.

For a lunchtime meal it will probably be the La Casona in the Plaza del Charco....my favourite meal there is the halibut served in a champagne sauce with some some clavier.

I was going to suggest that we stay at the Hotel Botanico for two nights for my birthday, and then found out it would cost in excess of €750 plus evening meals....maybe a quick trip up north and a snack at the Behive bar will suffice!

Anyone got any Greenshield stamps or luncheon vouchers? :D

cressrt
24-09-2016, 15:59
Have a look at the smaller hotels, we usually go up to Puerto a few times a year and stay at Hotel Marquesa, it's nice, central and clean. Trying Hotel Tropical in November for the castaños (chestnuts) as Marquesa was fully booked.

garlicbread
24-09-2016, 18:13
I was going to suggest that we stay at the Hotel Botanico for two nights for my birthday, and then found out it would cost in excess of €750 plus evening meals....maybe a quick trip up north and a snack at the Behive bar will suffice!

Anyone got any Greenshield stamps or luncheon vouchers? :D

The last time we stayed in The Botanico, in 2015, it was €185 per night for a room overlooking the Spa including breakfast but it may be a little more now. Yea its expensive and a room is a room but there's no comparison with any other hotel in PDLC and you'll not find a better breakfast buffet anywhere, you could eat enough quality food in there to last you a week!.
As for lunch you should take a taxi to Tito's Bodeguita, mentioned by canarybird much earlier in this thread and then you could have dinner in the sister restaurant in La Paz (walking distance from The Botanico) called La Cia Terraza (open evenings only) or The Toucan restaurant in calle Sebastian Padron Acosta All three places are cheaper than equivalent quality restaurants in the centre of PDLC and well worth the taxi fare.....all in my opinion of course.......

Liftman
24-09-2016, 18:40

Here is one for you Ecky

Ecky Thump
24-09-2016, 19:38
The last time we stayed in The Botanico, in 2015, it was €185 per night for a room overlooking the Spa including breakfast but it may be a little more now. Yea its expensive and a room is a room but there's no comparison with any other hotel in PDLC and you'll not find a better breakfast buffet anywhere, you could eat enough quality food in there to last you a week!.
As for lunch you should take a taxi to Tito's Bodeguita, mentioned by canarybird much earlier in this thread and then you could have dinner in the sister restaurant in La Paz (walking distance from The Botanico) called La Cia Terraza (open evenings only) or The Toucan restaurant in calle Sebastian Padron Acosta All three places are cheaper than equivalent quality restaurants in the centre of PDLC and well worth the taxi fare.....all in my opinion of course.......

We have been to the Toucan several times and only once for lunch at the Botanico which I think was in 2008 and King Juan Carlos was staying at the hotel at that time, needless to say we were searched and the hotel was surrounded by guards.
There used to be (maybe still there) a bar along from the Botanico Hotel with the pretentious name of the 'International', if there was six people in there, then it was crowded. :wink:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Here is one for you Ecky

We got loads of bits and bobs when they gave them out, including a convector heater that still heats my garage.