PDA

View Full Version : Which kindle have you got and how do you get on with it?

cainaries
10-02-2015, 19:35
I bought my basic kindle from amazon.com a few years ago and had it shipped to the Canaries. It is dying on me and I do rely on it a lot so I suspect I will have to get a new one. So, which kindle have you got (if you've got one) and how do you like it? Also interested to hear from anyone who has bought one from amazon.es and succeeded in using their amazon.co.uk account to buy books for it. Thanks for any advice.

warbey
10-02-2015, 21:12
I bought my basic kindle from amazon.com a few years ago and had it shipped to the Canaries. It is dying on me and I do rely on it a lot so I suspect I will have to get a new one. So, which kindle have you got (if you've got one) and how do you like it? Also interested to hear from anyone who has bought one from amazon.es and succeeded in using their amazon.co.uk account to buy books for it. Thanks for any advice.

I have a Nexus 7 and it has been a Eye opener to Me.
It can be a bit difficult reading some Pages when Surfing, but for Travel and versatility I wouldn't be without it..
As it is a Google Project it also has the latest Android Program automatically updated...

P.S. Do You keep it clean of rubbish Files...?

cainaries
10-02-2015, 21:16
I have a Nexus 7 and it has been a Eye opener to Me.
It can be a bit difficult reading some Pages when Surfing, but for Travel and versatility I wouldn't be without it..
As it is a Google Project it also has the latest Android Program automatically updated...

P.S. Do You keep it clean of rubbish Files...? Aha! It´s only got books on it but it could be getting full. I could certainly delete some and see if that helps. Do you download ebooks from amazon onto your Nexus 7 Warbs? And how much does it cost (roughly, just to have an idea)

warbey
10-02-2015, 21:22
It certainly will be getting Full, which could be the trouble...
You should be able to access the Memory and how much used/left etc. You will probably be surprised
It may also be possible to add a micro SD card to load some more, but I don't know for certain..

I have no books on Mine, sorry, but You can obtain them from Google if not Amazon. Again don't know for sure..

Also TESCO's new Hudl has good write-ups so that option is worth a look..

Good Luck.

cainaries
10-02-2015, 21:30
Thanks for the info, Warbs. OH has all the books on his ipad and, in any case, I assume they are in our 'cloud' so have started deleting some and will see if that helps. You'd think it would come up with a message to say 'full', wouldn't you! I just bought volume 2 of Alastair Campbell's Diaries - perhaps UKIP is managing my device.

marbro8
10-02-2015, 21:54
i think i must have the same kindle as you cainaries? my wife got it for me from amazon when they first came out, it has been brill, but i only use it when in tenerife while sunbathing around the pool, so it doesn't get used that much, i also have an ipad air which i think i could download books on, but at the moment i love just using my kindle for reading:wink:

Ecky Thump
10-02-2015, 22:27
i think i must have the same kindle as you cainaries? my wife got it for me from amazon when they first came out, it has been brill, but i only use it when in tenerife while sunbathing around the pool, so it doesn't get used that much, i also have an ipad air which i think i could download books on, but at the moment i love just using my kindle for reading:wink:

I've gone from the older original Kindle to the Kindle Fire HD, still brilliant for reading on with the advantage of being able to go on the web, plus hundreds of useful free apps that are available.....I'm looking forward to booking more flights when I'm having a drink in the Linaris2 restaurant....Carol is at her weakest when she is in Tenerife and I take advantage of it and spend her money on Ryanair.

As a reader it's good, but has its limitations in the bright sunshine....but hey, you can always go under a :beach: to read!

No company yet has the same great selection of books as Amazon, plus the offers of discounted books is good.

delderek
11-02-2015, 10:26
I replaced my original Kindle with the Paperwhite a couple of months ago. In my opinion it is a great improvement, especially the built in backlight, it is also lighter then the original, one small minus, it has to be charged every couple of weeks rather than the three weeks on my old one, due I would think to the backlight.
I agree with others saying they can use tablets for reading, but outside they are not good, and are also a lot heavier than the Kindle, they also probably need charging every few hours.

cainaries
11-02-2015, 12:48
How wonderful this Forum is. Thank you all. Stewartk I hadn't thought of Worten. It's not far from us so that would be brilliant. I had been going to try Mayorarte but Worten is a better bet.

Thanks for the info on the paperwhite, delderek. It would be good to be able to go on reading when OH is asleep.

I deleted some books yesterday, and it is a bit better but it is still very difficult to get it to turn on.

Ecky Thump
11-02-2015, 13:12
How wonderful this Forum is. Thank you all. Stewartk I hadn't thought of Worten. It's not far from us so that would be brilliant. I had been going to try Mayorarte but Worten is a better bet.

Thanks for the info on the paperwhite, delderek. It would be good to be able to go on reading when OH is asleep.

I deleted some books yesterday, and it is a bit better but it is still very difficult to get it to turn on.

Have a look at this link, it may help with the problem of turning on your Kindle........

http://techchannel.radioshack.com/kindle-not-power-1189.html

Kindle Will Not Power On | Tech Channel - RadioShack
techchannel.radioshack.com › Power & Accessories › Batteries
The Kindle's "hard reset" feature has the same effect as pulling out the battery for ... When you plug your charger into the Kindle, the LED should turn yellow if the ...

cainaries
11-02-2015, 21:15
Thanks, Ecky. That was the advice I got from the kindle support team. It works every now and then. I would try the hard reset but am terrified I will lose all the books I've got on there if it reboots itself.

warbey
11-02-2015, 21:50
Glad You got these replies cainaries.

I would always go for one that could go on the NET, but We are all Different..

Also exceptional to see this many Posts without the usual "Off Topics"..

How did You manage that..?? .:tiphat::tiphat::D

Ecky Thump
11-02-2015, 22:00
Also exceptional to see this many Posts without the usual "Off Topics".. .:tiphat::tiphat::D

My budgerigar keeps looking in the mirror...is this normal behaviour for a blue one?:bootyshake:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Thanks, Ecky. That was the advice I got from the kindle support team. It works every now and then. I would try the hard reset but am terrified I will lose all the books I've got on there if it reboots itself.

If your books have been purchased from Amazon, they would remain in your account., so don't worry.

cainaries
12-02-2015, 19:07
A Kindle connected to a computer, assuming you have one, will appear as an external drive. To safeguard your books, even though they are probably stored on Amazon's servers, you can just drag and drop them onto your computers hard drive or an external drive connected to your computer. They will probably be in a Folder or Directory called "Books" surprisingly and you just need to copy that whole folder to your computer. When you get a new Kindle copy them back to it. If you are using a Mac, and everyone shouldnbe using a Mac, then you might need to download a small app to let you do this. I can't remember what it's called but if you need it I can look it up for you. Thanks, no please don't go to any more trouble, you have already set my mind at rest by mentioning Worten. I could rush straight over there but I've got to go that way in about ten days time, so 'll go then. According to my amazon account all my books are in my cloud. So presumably I will just be able to add the new kindle to my list of devices and download the library from the cloud.

Ecky Thump
12-02-2015, 19:28
Thanks, no please don't go to any more trouble, you have already set my mind at rest by mentioning Worten. I could rush straight over there but I've got to go that way in about ten days time, so 'll go then. According to my amazon account all my books are in my cloud. So presumably I will just be able to add the new kindle to my list of devices and download the library from the cloud.

You certainly can add any new (or secondhand) to your Kindle Account.

Your next purchase will then be a nice new pink shiny cover for your Kindle Fire HD.:cheeky:

melm
12-02-2015, 19:42
You certainly can add any new (or secondhand) to your Kindle Account.

Your next purchase will then be a nice new pink shiny cover for your Kindle Fire HD.:cheeky:

I'm still pondering on which one to buy. Am a bit concerned about the lack of an anti glare screen on the kindle fire and also the additional weight.

Ecky Thump
12-02-2015, 19:59
I'm still pondering on which one to buy. Am a bit concerned about the lack of an anti glare screen on the kindle fire and also the additional weight.

I have just checked the weight difference between Carol's Kindle and my KindleFire and to be honest it's negligible when you are holding it.
Also I have just played with the settings as I hadn't realised that you could alter the brightness of the screen, plus you can alter the "paper" colour, so unless you are going to let the sun shine directly on the screen, then I think you will be happy with one.

melm
12-02-2015, 20:04
thanks again for info.

Will probably buy the kindle fire and see how I get on with it. Can always keep my old kindle for reading if I don't find the fire hd
as good. Having problems with my eyes at the moment and of course that doesn't help.

melm
13-02-2015, 15:01
Hi Melm, just be aware that the Kindle Fire is a Tablet Computer, not a dedicated e-reader. Whilst it has a decent screen its not good for reading books in the sunlight. My friend bought one to use as an e-reader and was very disappointed when she couldn't read whilst lying in the sun. Its not a bad budget tablet but if you only want to read books then buy a Kindle which uses e-ink.

That is my biggest concern. I have a hudl and while I dont have ebooks on it I find it difficult to see in the sunlight.
I am left handed and the left hand side control on my kindle has more or less given up on me, turning about 6 pages at a time.
It has been suggested I factory reset it and see what happens. Oh the joys of technology:lol: Thanks for info

cainaries
13-02-2015, 15:11
That is my biggest concern. I have a hudl and while I dont have ebooks on it I find it difficult to see in the sunlight.
I am left handed and the left hand side control on my kindle has more or less given up on me, turning about 6 pages at a time.
It has been suggested I factory reset it and see what happens. Oh the joys of technology:lol: Thanks for info Sounds like we are having the same kind of problems! My page turner keeps freezing and leaving me back where I was in the book. A friend with a kindle paperwhite is bringing his for me to look at tomorrow. Unless I happen to find one in a shop today in which case I will probably get it as I'm finding the page freezing and going back to where I was absolutely infuriating. I definitely want to be able to read outside and it will be great to read at night.

melm
13-02-2015, 19:14
Sounds like we are having the same kind of problems! My page turner keeps freezing and leaving me back where I was in the book. A friend with a kindle paperwhite is bringing his for me to look at tomorrow. Unless I happen to find one in a shop today in which case I will probably get it as I'm finding the page freezing and going back to where I was absolutely infuriating. I definitely want to be able to read outside and it will be great to read at night.

I suppose the kindles have a certain "shelf life" and ours have reached the end of the road. Let me know how you find the paperwhite as this is the one I am starting to favour.

Miffed-owner
13-02-2015, 20:45
I just got a Kindle Voyage to replace a pretty old Kindle Keyboard (that had generally been OK but was sometimes playing up in various ways). I am very pleased with the Voyage so far. I applied a screen film (crystal clear but some dust under of course!) and got a slim design (be careful as many are quite bulky) cover/case that has automatic switch on/off on opening/closing. That played up one day but I got it to reset by pressing the actual on/off button and holding it in until it restarted. The Voyage has a touch screen and also areas next to the screen that you can press for page turns and has a slight vibrate function to confim the press. The screen is very clear and has adaptive lighting. I only got W-Fi as I didn't want to use it for anything but books. Without any case it is about 90g lighter than the Keyboard but also much smaller and slimmer so easy to keep in a handbag when going out. I haven't used it in bright sunlight yet (I'm in England.....) so can't comment on how well it will work in Tenerife. You can have both the old and the new kindle on your Amazon account, in fact it did all that automatically to my surprise. The books are also then automatically on a personal Cloud and also on my desktop PC through the Kindle software download and I can still pull them onto either device but the Voyage is much easier. Hope that helps.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Sorry, forgot to say that the front surface is completely flat so the screen film covers all of it except for cut-outs where the light sensor and page turners are, and the page turn press areas are identical both sides (a bar for forwards and a dot for back). There are lots of different protective films available, some of them say they are anti-glare but I don't know whether they are needed or how good they are.

Greg
13-02-2015, 21:56
I have a Kindle Paperwhite which I love. I couldn't go back to paper books again. On a slightly off topic note I can supply ebooks for almost any reader in any format for only 2 each. https://www.facebook.com/ebooksfromgreg or PM me for info.

Blondeshrimp
14-02-2015, 14:24
I'm now on my 3rd kindle, I do read a lot! I've just bought the Paperwhite and I love it.

cainaries
14-02-2015, 15:20
More helpful posts, thank you all. Hadn't heard of a kindle voyage so am about to look that up. Went to our nearest electronics shop yesterday and they didn't have kindles but something called an ApproQX (or something similar) for €85. Had no idea if it would have the wonderful kindle whisperjet system so didn't get it. anyone know anything about them?

cainaries
23-02-2015, 23:02
Just want to say special thanks to Stewartk who sent me to Worten in La Palma. Finally got there today and got myself a kindle paperwhite. Looks as though it is exactly what I needed. Thanks to everyone for their advice.:jumping::jumping:

melm
24-02-2015, 19:28
Just want to say special thanks to Stewartk who sent me to Worten in La Palma. Finally got there today and got myself a kindle paperwhite. Looks as though it is exactly what I needed. Thanks to everyone for their advice.:jumping::jumping:

You got there before, me still haven't ordered my new one. I am in the UK and we have a large selection of stores selling this and of course Amazon. Happy reading

cainaries
25-02-2015, 21:21
You got there before, me still haven't ordered my new one. I am in the UK and we have a large selection of stores selling this and of course Amazon. Happy reading

Thanks melm. Am still trying to understand how to navigate my way through my daily paper but reading a book is simples. Good luck with whatever you get in the end. And it was extremely simple to transfer everything over and much easier than the last time.