PDA

View Full Version : Other Is it normal procedure for the President of a community to be paid?

polremy
12-02-2015, 18:13
Someone has proposed that the president of our community should no longer have to pay community fees on her apartment or her garage. This is now an item on the agenda for our upcoming AGM.
Is this normal?
Is this legal?
The president has done an excellent job for many years but has received a generous gift each year at the AGM as well as enjoying the free use of a mobile phone and probably other perks too.
Our community fees are high and many owners I know find them onerous and struggle to pay.
The community is firmly in the black but making the president's job a paid one (probably about 2000€ a year) doesn't seem right somehow.
Any thoughts or sharing experience of similar situations would be really appreciated.

marbro8
12-02-2015, 19:10
Someone has proposed that the president of our community should no longer have to pay community fees on her apartment or her garage. This is now an item on the agenda for our upcoming AGM.
Is this normal?
Is this legal?
The president has done an excellent job for many years but has received a generous gift each year at the AGM as well as enjoying the free use of a mobile phone and probably other perks too.
Our community fees are high and many owners I know find them onerous and struggle to pay.
The community is firmly in the black but making the president's job a paid one (probably about 2000€ a year) doesn't seem right somehow.
Any thoughts or sharing experience of similar situations would be really appreciated.what is the name of your complex? or don't you want to disclose that;), i don't own on any complex but if i did i don't think that i would object to such a small payment, as you have said they have done a sterling job of looking after the complex, and i can imagine it is a thankless task sometimes, you get nothing if everything is going to plan but get vilified if something goes wrong:dontknow:, depending on how many apartments are on your complex it would probably only amount to a few euros each for keeping the wheels oiled and everything running smoothly in the background;) as for the legality i wouldn't know? but i would have thought that if it is voted on and accepted at an agm then it should be ok

Westminster
12-02-2015, 20:41
Such a procedure could cause difficulties if this person wanted to sell their property in a few years, when selling it is important that community fees, rates, etc. are all up to date.
The correct procedure if the owners wanted to reward the President would be to pay him/her a honorarium which could mirror the community fees.

Tom & Sharon
12-02-2015, 22:42
Such a procedure could cause difficulties if this person wanted to sell their property in a few years, when selling it is important that community fees, rates, etc. are all up to date.
The correct procedure if the owners wanted to reward the President would be to pay him/👰her a honorarium which could mirror the community fees.

Surely, under the terms of the escritura, quotas etc., it's not legal anyway? Look at the Horizontal Property Law.

tfs1
13-02-2015, 07:47
I'm not sure if its illegal if passed by the community as I have read this has been done elsewhere in Spain but its very rare. I would look at who is suggesting this and their relationship with the President. It may be waved through if few attend the AGM.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

The correct procedure if the owners wanted to reward the President would be to pay him/her a honorarium which could mirror the community fees.

If passed, I presume the payment would be made on behalf of the President from community fees so everything would be up-to-date.

As Westminster has mentioned maybe the current annual gift should mirror the community fees cost rather than provide even further financial gain.

Each owner has to pay community fees for their property. If the president were to have them paid on their behalf as part of being the President this benefit MAY have tax implications for the President as he/she is gaining a 'benefit in kind'.

golf birdie
13-02-2015, 11:18
I also believe it is not legal for any payment to be made.

Sundowner
13-02-2015, 17:14
Is this normal?
Is this legal?
Any thoughts or sharing experience of similar situations would be really appreciated.

If you don't want the president to be paid, you can vote against it at the AGM. The people in your community have the power and if enough people vote against it, and that will be that no dosh for el presidente. If however the majority think the president is worth it then that will mean the president can be paid.

My concern would be that this would set a precedent for future presidents. I would be inclined to go the informal gift route.

tfs1
13-02-2015, 19:18
If you don't want the president to be paid, you can vote against it at the AGM. The people in your community have the power and if enough people vote against it, and that will be that no dosh for el presidente. If however the majority think the president is worth it then that will mean the president can be paid.

My concern would be that this would set a precedent for future presidents. I would be inclined to go the informal gift route.

exactly - what next, a company car ?

marbro8
13-02-2015, 21:40
why would someone volunteer to become president if there is no reward in it???

Sundowner
13-02-2015, 21:47
why would someone volunteer to become president if there is no reward in it???

For some it can be very lucrative. The president can give a contract to building, cleaning and a host of other companies, some of whom maybe show their appreciation in the form of a fat brown enevelope:wink:

marbro8
13-02-2015, 21:52
For some it can be very lucrative. The president can give a contract to building, cleaning and a host of other companies, some of whom maybe show their appreciation in the form of a fat brown enevelope:wink:ooooh right, never thought of that;)

tfs1
14-02-2015, 09:15
some just like the power and status the position brings.

Sundowner
14-02-2015, 10:01
And to be fair some do it for the good of the community.

martincrabb99
14-02-2015, 10:52
exactly - what next, a company car ?

Free air flights?

tfs1
14-02-2015, 13:00
Free air flights?

I guess some Presidents would get one way tickets !

primrose
14-02-2015, 15:13
I guess some Presidents would get one way tickets !

I know some on here that would willingly buy their President a one way ticket.:wave:

BrianT
14-02-2015, 21:56
I know some on here that would willingly buy their President a one way ticket.:wave:

You and me both, the one I am thinking about should be gone next AGM which is in March. ��