PDA

View Full Version : Shopping Ripped off in Puerto Colón when buying a tablet

Leam_Lin
14-02-2015, 22:37
Friends of mine returned this week from Tenerife, they had bought a Samsung Tablet 'top of the range' costing 800euro.
The shop is in Puerto Colon, they were looking at something priced at 49euros & got talked into buying a tablet, we have one you can use until we have a delivery to our Santa Cruz store in the next few days & you can have one of these.

They returned to the store to collect the 800euro tablet & were asked if they were taking the tablet out of Tenerife, yes we are, 'well you need to pay export tax in case you are stopped at the airport' Like idiots they paid 400 EURO 'god knows why' shop owner would not take a card only cash, no receipt issued he asked for their passport & supposedly typed something onto his records so everything was correct at the airport. They could claim the money back when then got home.

These shop owners are very clever but I have not heard this export payment before, has anyone else.

imablue
14-02-2015, 23:00
They are not clever they are rip off merchants ..What is it with people that go on holiday and think they are getting a bargain ...I always relate to the how many weeks..! guarantee...Once you leave the island the guarantee is finished ..are you going to come back and complain ...
Sorry but lets get real on this.. how gullible are people..they all seem to leave their brains at the airport ..maybe some of them leave all they have got as common sense under their pillow in their bed ..Astonished by some peoples actions ...

marbro8
14-02-2015, 23:08
Friends of mine returned this week from Tenerife, they had bought a Samsung Tablet 'top of the range' costing 800euro.
The shop is in Puerto Colon, they were looking at something priced at 49euros & got talked into buying a tablet, we have one you can use until we have a delivery to our Santa Cruz store in the next few days & you can have one of these.

They returned to the store to collect the 800euro tablet & were asked if they were taking the tablet out of Tenerife, yes we are, 'well you need to pay export tax in case you are stopped at the airport' Like idiots they paid 400 EURO 'god knows why' shop owner would not take a card only cash, no receipt issued he asked for their passport & supposedly typed something onto his records so everything was correct at the airport. They could claim the money back when then got home.

These shop owners are very clever but I have not heard this export payment before, has anyone else.i know it's not what you want to hear but your friends have been done:sorry:

Tshirt
14-02-2015, 23:17
i know it's not what you want to hear but your friends have been done:sorry:

.........Twice.

Leam_Lin
14-02-2015, 23:40
.........Twice.

I know, the ironic thing is I have told them about 'our very friendly shopkeepers & what rip off merchants they all are, & couldn't believe what they were telling me.
Talk about one born every minute!

marbro8
15-02-2015, 00:31
I know, the ironic thing is I have told them about 'our very friendly shopkeepers & what rip off merchants they all are, & couldn't believe what they were telling me.
Talk about one born every minute!the only thing to come out of this lin is other posters/readers on the forum will learn from it:wink:

Ecky Thump
15-02-2015, 00:45
the only thing to come out of this lin is other posters/readers on the forum will learn from it:wink:

Especially when we know the name of the shop.:nono:

marbro8
15-02-2015, 00:52
Especially when we know the name of the shop.:nono:to be honest i would never buy anything from any of the electrical shops in tenerife because i know that 99% of them are there to rip of holidaymakers, so it doesn't bother me if i know the name of the shop or not, because i avoid them all;)

Ecky Thump
15-02-2015, 00:59
to be honest i would never buy anything from any of the electrical shops in tenerife because i know that 99% of them are there to rip of holidaymakers, so it doesn't bother me if i know the name of the shop or not, because i avoid them all;)

I used to use one in Puerto de la Cruz called "Happy's" it was a elderly Indian man that owned it and he used to say ...
"I Make You Happy - Then You Make Me Happy" and he always did! Unfortunately he retired and his nephew now has a small shop by the bus garage.

marbro8
15-02-2015, 01:03
I used to use one in Puerto de la Cruz called "Happy's" it was a elderly Indian man that owned it and he used to say ...
"I Make You Happy - Then You Make Me Happy" and he always did! Unfortunately he retired and his nephew now has a small shop by the bus garage.can you really get good deals on electrical gear? even with a reputable electrical shop in tenerife?

kingbaker
15-02-2015, 01:07
As a PS to this, there is a Consumer Affairs Office in each EU Member State.

They deal with inter boundry problems such as Warranties etc, but you have to have proof of payment, preferably by Card. They have the ability to deal through their Spanish counterparts. Might be worth talking to the Brit one.....can't hurt.
Incidently warranties ARE valid across Member States.

Ecky Thump
15-02-2015, 01:10
can you really get good deals on electrical gear? even with a reputable electrical shop in tenerife?

"Happy's" sold everything from a TV to a Bottle of Vodka and if he didn't have it in his little shop, he would get it in the following five minutes....this is no joke, we went in there for a PP3 Battery and I needed a shave as I hadn't had one that morning and he sold me a Phillips Razor....Carol was "Happy":D

kingbaker
15-02-2015, 01:12
I buy in Santa Cruz in El Corte Sasanach for example or other reputable stores. ONLY.

Leam_Lin
15-02-2015, 09:43
They bought the tablet on their card & are happy with it (don't think they have looked to see what the price would have been in England)

What they are annoyed with themselves for is paying 400 EUROS CASH to be legal in bringing the tablet from Tenerife to the UK, the indian male shop owner conned them into thinking this was correct thing to do, they have claimed the tax back previously when returning from Canada & USA.

I will find the name of the shop & post.

tfs1
15-02-2015, 10:44
I have never heard of an export tax either. For €800 it must be a very 'top of the range' Samsung tablet, the most expensive ones I can find in the UK are £349 (previously £399). Maybe someone else can find others at a higher price.

kingbaker
15-02-2015, 11:25
Duty should be imposed in UK when returning, on all goods over the travel allowance. The Canaries are in the EU as part of Spain but have a duty free arrangment...hence the allowances for wine, spirits, fags etc. probs electrical goods as well.
These dutys are not refundable for travel withn the EU..me thinks.;)

golf birdie
15-02-2015, 12:53
can you really get good deals on electrical gear? even with a reputable electrical shop in tenerife?

in short, NO.

tfs1
15-02-2015, 13:07
in short, NO.

Similar to aftershave, mine is cheaper to buy in the UK

blondie
15-02-2015, 15:36
in short, NO.

I would not go into any of these crooks shops. I thought people were getting wise to them , obviously not. It must be some tablet at that price. When one of them tried to tried to shake my hand I declined and asked why would I want to shake the hand of someone who wanted to rob me, his reply was I only need one person a day to make my money how many hours do you have to work . I could have punched the b@@@@@@. Hate them with a passion , give Tenerife a bad name.

tfs1
15-02-2015, 15:48
I would not go into any of these crooks shops. I thought people were getting wise to them , obviously not. It must be some tablet at that price. When one of them tried to tried to shake my hand I declined and asked why would I want to shake the hand of someone who wanted to rob me, his reply was I only need one person a day to make my money how many hours do you have to work . I could have punched the b@@@@@@. Hate them with a passion , give Tenerife a bad name.

We passed one shop recently and the guy said 'come into my shop, spend some money and make me even richer' - we walked on.

kingbaker
15-02-2015, 16:46
in short, NO.

Thata not quite correct. Some good bargains usually at sales time in Santa Cruz, but only if you do your homework first and use reputable stores......same as everywhere else in the world.;)
In 2005 I bought a digital camera for €139 including extras like leather case and a bigger memory card (not included at home). The price at home was €275. I still use it and it's still perfect.;)

delderek
15-02-2015, 19:18
Thata not quite correct. Some good bargains usually at sales time in Santa Cruz, but only if you do your homework first and use reputable stores......same as everywhere else in the world.;)
In 2005 I bought a digital camera for €139 including extras like leather case and a bigger memory card (not included at home). The price at home was €275. I still use it and it's still perfect.;)

10 years ago yes I agree, you could find cheaper electrical goods in Tenerife, but sadly no more. Most are at least 30% above UK prices in the genuine shops. ( but even in these they tend to be one or two models older) In the Asian shops, don't even think about it.

Ecky Thump
15-02-2015, 19:59
10 years ago yes I agree, you could find cheaper electrical goods in Tenerife, but sadly no more. Most are at least 30% above UK prices in the genuine shops. ( but even in these they tend to be one or two models older) In the Asian shops, don't even think about it.

There's always the odd one to be found, I bought a Cannon camera and two lens last year at a saving of over £120 over the cheapest UK price (Including the Internet prices). It was at the large electrical/camera shop by the Park Santiago.

You have to know exactly what you want and the UK price before entering into any negotiation and refuse all extra add on's, however appealing they may appear...stand firm!!

Leam_Lin
16-02-2015, 11:58
The shop is called 'PORT CORNER' at Puerto Colon underneath the Irish Rose.

The tablet is- Yashica Europe ultra hd 3d 4k android version 6.0 0 5 model 0896.

I have googled it & come up with an Amazon site, everyone should read it, the indian rip off scumbags operate all over Tenerife.!

He accepts the price 800 euros was too much, but its the fact they conned him out of 400 euro for the 'export tax'

Bhamannette
16-02-2015, 13:37
always get my electrical items from Electrocris CC Aborra never had any problems

Ecky Thump
16-02-2015, 13:41
The shop is called 'PORT CORNER' at Puerto Colon underneath the Irish Rose.

The tablet is- Yashica Europe ultra hd 3d 4k android version 6.0 0 5 model 0896.

I have googled it & come up with an Amazon site, everyone should read it, the indian rip off scumbags operate all over Tenerife.!

He accepts the price 800 euros was too much, but its the fact they conned him out of 400 euro for the 'export tax'

I wonder if this could be the same shop, I found this one etenerife.com it's just one of the many complaints to be found.....

arthur on September 27, 2013 at 8:36 am said:
ripped by indians in puerto colon cash @ carry shop by little B****** with wonky eye bought yacashi no good cam corder under pressure
really feel bad about how i was treated.
after 14 days of a really good holiday.
was scammed by these robbers on south beach puerto colon in the shop on corner facing the sushie restaurant.
ALL HOLIDAY MAKERS BE AWARE OF THIS TRIBE THEY ARE EVIL

Leam_Lin
16-02-2015, 14:41
Yes Ecky, same shop they said next to sushi bar.

We also use Cris aborra at El Camizon.

Crazy Golfer
18-02-2015, 17:51
I've bought a few things in these shops - but have NEVER paid the ticket price in the window. Like at home, you have to know how much something is worth before going to the shop. Depending on the cost of the item, I usually start by offering HALF the ticket price. I'm prepared to work up the way but never more than I want to pay obviously. I got a nice Digi camera a couple of years ago at San Eugenio and saved around £50. I've found a lot of these shops are greedy for business and will barter. They'll try to throw in extras like bigger memory cards or cases or whatever at the end of the deal to make their money back - but if you don't know the price of them at home DON'T be tempted.
Keep a cool head and you can win.

marbro8
18-02-2015, 18:11
Yes Ecky, same shop they said next to sushi bar.

We also use Cris aborra at El Camizon.is it the one just at the bottom of the metal steps? just up from where auntie's fish and chip shop used to be?

Leam_Lin
18-02-2015, 19:00
[QUOTE=marbro8;447269]is it the one just at the bottom of the metal steps? just up from where auntie's fish and chip shop used to be?[/QUOT

If you remember some time ago 'Young Golfer' went to a lot of trouble to get an elderly couple their money back from that rip off indian shop.

The rip off indian shop this time is just along from the other shop underneath the 'Irish Rose'

I think the majority of shops run by this type of person are all rip offs.

I f you are taking the product back to the UK, purchase in the UK, you have a comeback if anything goes wrong.

caz12
18-02-2015, 21:29
when will people stop using these shops?

imablue
18-02-2015, 22:23
When they stop leaving their brains at the airport ....

princessmonika
19-02-2015, 09:56
unless you live here, do not buy any electrical goods :mad::cloud9:

Leam_Lin
20-02-2015, 09:51
On facebook on the 'Tenerife Residents & Visitors page more details of RIP OFF INDIAN SHOPS & the intimidation & the hassle they give people, this time in Los Cris.
Stay clear of them all.

Tshirt
20-02-2015, 12:28
On facebook on the 'Tenerife Residents & Visitors page more details of RIP OFF INDIAN SHOPS & the intimidation & the hassle they give people, this time in Los Cris.
Stay clear of them all.

Just read it, seems the shop is called "Amazing" in Los Cris.

Jabba43
20-02-2015, 21:53
Anything electrical I always look online in the UK or on amazon, then go to Worten. If the price is near enough I buy it. The UK is incredibly competitive when it comes to electrical goods so yes buy it there if possible.

People need to learn how to use the internet, ironically this guy was buying a tablet too so he could use the internet.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Another terrible con are the Indian "Pharmacies". They put a green cross outside pretending to be a chemist, there is some Indian dude inside with a white coat on, you ask for something for diarrhea or a headache and he tries to sell you some placebos for 10 euro. Went in with my wife once, he tried to make nice small talk then said 10 euros, I laughed out loud and said come on lets go. We found a proper pharmacy across the road and got some pain killers for 3 euro.

It is really borderline fraud impersonating a proper chemist.

imablue
20-02-2015, 22:26
Indian restaurants ... Bad tummy..Pharmacia,s rip off cure.....
Electrical goods... shocking....

Leam_Lin
20-02-2015, 22:46
There 's another indian shop selling tablets at rip off prices just before the Moonlight Bar.

This shop at Puerto Colon was not just selling electricals at rip off prices but telling guilible customers you have to pay this export tax & then reclaim it.
Cash only no receipt for this so called tax.