PDA

View Full Version : Who are your all time favourite football club managers?

marbro8
15-02-2015, 01:18
after being a footy fan all of my life, i was just sitting here thinking who my all time favorite managers were, not just my own club but clubs and teams that have lit up the football world, i will start off by nominating brian clough, not just a good manager but a great character as well, i would have loved to have seen him in charge of england;), i can also say that bobby robson was probably my all time favorite england manager, a great manager and true gentleman ;)

trevorife2
15-02-2015, 08:50
Barry fry was a personal fave of mine .... Also paul lambert was a great villa manager imho !!! .. Bobby robson was a bloke everyone liked i think ..

martincrabb99
15-02-2015, 11:17
Although I'm not a Manchester United supporter, my two brothers are and growing up with that I think Sir Matt Busby was an inspiration and helped to make United the club they are today.

martincrabb99
15-02-2015, 11:20
Barry fry was a personal fave of mine .... Also paul lambert was a great villa manager imho !!! .. Bobby robson was a bloke everyone liked i think ..

I agree with your post about Paul Lambert and Barry Fry was certainly a character which is sadly lacking in the game. today.

Tshirt
15-02-2015, 11:21
Ian Holloway, never afraid to say it like it is and call a spade a spade.

imablue
15-02-2015, 11:42
Sir Bobby Robson (it is Bobby..Marbro)...
A very humble man and a great manager too.
Brian Clough what a bloke ,i had the pleasure of meeting him in Garden City back in the 90,s.. if anyone should have managed England it would have been Brian Clough for me.
Also got to mention Howard Kendall of course.:tiphat:

primrose
15-02-2015, 12:04
Bill Shankley, Brian Clough, Ian Holloway, Johnny Carey.

marbro8
15-02-2015, 12:13
Sir Bobby Robson (it is Bobby..Marbro)...
A very humble man and a great manager too.
Brian Clough what a bloke ,i had the pleasure of meeting him in Garden City back in the 90,s.. if anyone should have managed England it would have been Brian Clough for me.
Also got to mention Howard Kendall of course.:tiphat:sorry ye bobby, just amended it thanks:o, i never met brian clough, but i was on a coach going down to watch walsall play in london somewhere, and we passed the forest team bus on the motorway, and i remember being on the back seat and he was lying across the front 2 seats, and we all mooned him:lol:, the look of horror on his face was classic as you could see him shaking his finger and probably telling the other players "that's what's wrong with football today":lol:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Barry fry was a personal fave of mine .... Also paul lambert was a great villa manager imho !!! .. Bobby robson was a bloke everyone liked i think ..barry fry, what a nutter:lol:, never understood how he had a bad heart with the amount of running up and down the line he did:lol:

Tshirt
15-02-2015, 13:56
Interesting that nobody has mentioned Sir Alex or the Special one. :whistle:

martincrabb99
15-02-2015, 14:23

I don't mind them.... Track record of good management?

primrose
15-02-2015, 14:28

Thought ¨Sir Alex¨ was the name of a watch that ran until ran till Man Ure scored then suddenly stopped, or know by another name Fergie Time.

Terrynsue
16-02-2015, 13:43
Top 10. Cloughie,Cloughie, Shanks,Cloughie, Cloughie, Busby,Cloughie, Cloughie, Robson, Cloughie! !!! biased?:cheeky::cheers:

primrose
16-02-2015, 14:06
Forgot to mention Tony Parkes the best Caretaker Manager ever.:bowdown:

timmylish
17-02-2015, 14:12
Have met these managers personally and remembering their exploits I have no hesitation in naming the following and in the order placed,

Sir Jock Stein - you will note that I have honoured him when this was never done officially by the State! I often sat in his manager,s office at Celtic Park and could have listened to him extoll the virtues of playing attacking football. I cannot find the quote from the day where he first made the statement that whatever number of goals the opposition might score against his team (us, Celtic) we would score at least one more!

Shanks - just a wonderful, honest character. Had the pleasure of meeting up with him a couple of times.

Cloughie - again a different type of man who I bought into but like Jock maybe not the strongest standing up to his demons but again, charasmatic and I could listen to him for gaes at one go!

So, there you go! 3 brilliant managers who brought real enjoyment to millions of people. I accept that Jock & Brian were unable to reproduce their best later but, hey how could you pass these three. Yes I love Jose who is brilliant for the game but he would be the first to admit that the above three, in their day, would come up trumps.
Why no AF? Simple. In his earlier and mid days in management he was a foul mouthed ignorant horrible man. And yes, I had met him on numerous occassions so I do speak as I saw (heard) it.

martincrabb99
17-02-2015, 17:36
Have met these managers personally and remembering their exploits I have no hesitation in naming the following and in the order placed,

Sir Jock Stein - you will note that I have honoured him when this was never done officially by the State! I often sat in his manager,s office at Celtic Park and could have listened to him extoll the virtues of playing attacking football. I cannot find the quote from the day where he first made the statement that whatever number of goals the opposition might score against his team (us, Celtic) we would score at least one more!

Shanks - just a wonderful, honest character. Had the pleasure of meeting up with him a couple of times.

Cloughie - again a different type of man who I bought into but like Jock maybe not the strongest standing up to his demons but again, charasmatic and I could listen to him for gaes at one go!

So, there you go! 3 brilliant managers who brought real enjoyment to millions of people. I accept that Jock & Brian were unable to reproduce their best later but, hey how could you pass these three. Yes I love Jose who is brilliant for the game but he would be the first to admit that the above three, in their day, would come up trumps.
Why no AF? Simple. In his earlier and mid days in management he was a foul mouthed ignorant horrible man. And yes, I had met him on numerous occassions so I do speak as I saw (heard) it.

Attacking football., fantastic!

marbro8
17-02-2015, 19:16
Interesting that nobody has mentioned Sir Alex or the Special one. :whistle:i think sir alex was only liked by man utd fans tbh, i must admit, i used to think that he did more to try and ruin the england team than any other manager, withdrawing his players with excuses of what i thought was fake injuries:dontknow:, but i read a book written by a former walsall player, and in it he couldn't praise him enough, we played them in an FA cup match in the 80's, and he took time out to greet all our players, showing them around the stadium and telling them that if they wanted anything, they only had to ask, you wouldn't get that today with all the gamesmanship going on in the modern game:redcard:, and again i think the special one is only loved by chelsea fans

warbey
17-02-2015, 19:41
I think Most are already named and I agree with most.

Bob Paisley isn't mentioned though and His Teams won lots

so what qualifies a good Manager. Results Trophies or Style.?

Tony Pulis takes some beating, but does He need a Big Fashionable Club to be recognised..?

Tshirt
17-02-2015, 21:09
I like Jose Mourinho. he makes me laugh. :lol:

martincrabb99
17-02-2015, 21:15
I like Jose Mourinho. he makes me laugh. :lol:

Same here......I loved the way he walked out on a recent post match interview[emoji3]

Leam_Lin
17-02-2015, 21:28
Joe Mercer, spoke to him few times when he was at Coventry.

martincrabb99
17-02-2015, 21:30
Joe Mercer, spoke to him few times when he was at Coventry.

You must be psychic I was thinking about him a few minutes ago[emoji6]

Leam_Lin
17-02-2015, 21:35
You must be psychic I was thinking about him a few minutes ago[emoji6]

I wish I was, I'd have the lotto numbers sussed.

+ a certain someone on here I believe has been here before but my crystal ball won't tell me!!!!!

martincrabb99
17-02-2015, 21:46
I wish I was, I'd have the lotto numbers sussed.

+ a certain someone on here I believe has been here before but my crystal ball won't tell me!!!!!

Mystic Mart will win the lottery tonight......sorry[emoji6]

Leam_Lin
17-02-2015, 21:49
Mystic Mart will win the lottery tonight......sorry[emoji6]

Shall I send my request now?

Ooops, I thought lotto was Wednesday night.

martincrabb99
17-02-2015, 21:52
Shall I send my request now?

Ooops, I thought lotto was Wednesday night.

Two lines on Euro millions[emoji2]

Leam_Lin
17-02-2015, 21:57
What does that pay out? never played euro millions - is it still worth sending my letter?

martincrabb99
17-02-2015, 22:18
What does that pay out? never played euro millions - is it still worth sending my letter?

29 million tonight.....no letter required I will send you something[emoji5]️