PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Where should I live in south Tenerife?

Rob.b
15-02-2015, 21:04
Hi we are coming out for a week in a couple of weeks and want to do a bit of research on where to live. We have long term plans to move to tenerife when I am 55 and can get to my pension in order to buy an apartment. This is my third time on the island but we have never serious looked round anywhere out of Golf del Sur, Las Americas, Santa Cruz, and Los Christianos.
What I would like is an apartment....
somewhere in the south between south airport and Adeje, doesn't have to be coastal but must have good sea views if not.
Somewhere with a mixture of expats and locals with at least one English bar so we can meet new people (we plan to be good Spanish speakers by then BTW)
doesn't have to be on a 'holiday' complex can be in a town but not in a remote location
we would like to get part time jobs so somewhere not too far from possible work locations could be good.

your thoughts would be appreciated.

thanks

Rob

Tony the Welder
16-02-2015, 09:00
morning rob a week is not along time to find your perfect place there is a lot of good bargains at this moment in time why not try a long let for 6 months or so and have a really good look around , costa del silencio is the perfect location for me , but maybe not for you take your time and be sure before you buy

Rob.b
16-02-2015, 09:20
Sorry to clarify we are coming out for a normal weeks holiday and thought we would spend a day looking at a specific area. We would not be coming out to live for at least 5 years and this is just the start of the process of looking for areas to live in. Currently we are planning to look at Adeje.

Hepa
16-02-2015, 13:55
Hello Rob, cannot help with Tenerife, I am 75 miles away on the island of El Hierro, however I would suggest that you rent at first, we did and ended up 200 miles away from our first choice, Gran Canaria.

Some years ago, in addition to our house we purchased an apartment on the coast, it was a bad idea, apartments are noisy, from above below next door, the communal areas are always dirty, community meetings end in disagreement, nothing is ever done, many do not pay their community charges on time, think long and hard about apartments, a bungalow is far better.

Good hunting!

Tom & Sharon
16-02-2015, 16:34
Hello Rob, cannot help with Tenerife, I am 75 miles away on the island of El Hierro, however I would suggest that you rent at first, we did and ended up 200 miles away from our first choice, Gran Canaria.

Some years ago, in addition to our house we purchased an apartment on the coast, it was a bad idea, apartments are noisy, from above below next door, the communal areas are always dirty, community meetings end in disagreement, nothing is ever done, many do not pay their community charges on time, think long and hard about apartments, a bungalow is far better.

Good hunting!

Agreed. Avoid communities like the plague. Buy an independent property. I wish we had!:idea::idea:

candy2411
16-02-2015, 19:51
Definitely would say rent before buying to get the feel of a place, I bought in Costa del Silencio and love it. It's quiet enough for day to day living , plenty bars, restaurants and supermarkets all within walking distance as is delightful Las Galletas typical Canarian fishing village just a stroll away. It's also close enough to busier Los Cristianos and Americas if you want a night out. On the subject of community living, I personally like it especially as I'm non resident and appreciate the neighbours I have as I know they keep an eye on the place when unoccupied. It also gives peace of mind knowing there's a community office to deal with any problems with utilities etc . Like every complex we do have characters we'd prefer not to have and who for reasons known only to themselves choose not to pay community fees, but thankfully these are in the minority and still think the advantages of living on a complex outweigh the disadvantages. Good luck in your search:)

delderek
16-02-2015, 20:39
OK, for what it's worth. Nothing wrong with the area, Golf Del Sur or Costa Del Silencio, but, and to me it's a big but, in the Winter it can be bloody cold. 3 or 4 degrees below Los Cris or the Adeje coast. So for me it's a no no, but if you don't mind having to wear a fleece at night that's fine. To me if I go to a warm country that's exactly what I want...Warm..and you only get that on the West coast. (although this year it appears it's been bloody cold even in normally Warm places)

martincrabb99
16-02-2015, 21:34
It's a personal choice but living on a community does have advantages for non residents, for example all of the exterior and community areas are managed and they even cut my lawn. It is a gated community and this gives extra security but not total security as some people unwisely do not secure gates on entry and egress. All the pool area is managed and updated on a regular basis and there is a lifeguard and pool security. Yes you can get some noise but in my view and its a purely personal view that is to be expected when people are on holiday and enjoying themselves, if it gets a bit over the top then we have security personnel to deal with it but that is a rarity in my experience. Our community pursues through legal means those who do not pay community fees and that process has reduced debtors considerably.
We have made lots of good friends within the community and at Amarilla golf there are plenty of restaurants and watering holes within easy reach. I think it may be quiet for some but I like it and always have a car to reach other parts of the Island. I have never regretted purchasing in my chosen area but as some posters always say.....research fully and if possible rent before you buy to get a good feel for the Island.......Good luck.

warbey
16-02-2015, 21:40

Good advice earlier. I like the idea of a Day getting the feel of the Place.
Most would benefit from that and get a better knowledge of the Island too.
There are quite a few living not too far from the T1 on either side.

It could be that You may be swayed more by the Property offered than it's Location,
so I would be open-minded .

Perhaps looking in an Estate Agents window beforehand would also help., but I would be inclined to Rent First and get a feel of the Locality.
You can't do that in a Week..

Best of Luck...

MagnusH
25-02-2015, 10:25
I really like the area around Los Cristianos.

I like the fact that there are people and that its near alot of accomodations.

One part of me would like to live by my self at the sea, but than you seldom have all the accomodations and the easyness to everything.

Good luck in your searching for the perfect place in the sun.

bennoa1
25-02-2015, 22:16
Our apartment is on a complex in Torviscas Alto so great views, quiet and you can park the car!!. The community is good and well organised so maybe we're in the minority. We've travelled around a lot and like Alcala but its very quiet and no beach to talk of (as yet), but its very quant and very Canarian. Not too big but big enough. The new hotel has about double the resident count but it doesn't appear to impact the town too much. We also like el Medano which is jus the other side of the airport. Nice big beach to walk along and lots of locals and ex pats (german and English seem to be the majority). Lots of places to eat and drink and a reasonable size. We walk regularly into LC (Los Cristianos) which is about a 80-90 minute walk (unless we stop for a beer on the way) and we often also walk back (well to Puerto Colon anyway and get a taxi back UP from there). I think you need to spend a bit of time in each location you are considering before making a choice.
We've owned the same place for 15 years now and hope to move out in about 6-7 years. Good luck and hope it works out.

princessmonika
26-02-2015, 08:01
augusta park on amarilla golf -- good community - no problems - good president - a mix of british ,irish , germans and spanish - very helpful lot

Rob.b
28-02-2015, 21:47
Thanks for the recommendations guys, we will try Adeje and Costa Silecnio providing a we can get off the sunbed, need a cloudy day next week! Unfortunately we will only have the budget for a apartment on a complex, would love a 2 bed villa but unless we win the lottery it will not happen.
Buenas noches

Westminster
01-03-2015, 19:49
There is only one place to live and that is Callao Salvaje, excellent housing, good restaurants, super beach, pleasant people, a mix of nationalities, a French butchers, 2 French Patisseries, 4 small Supermarkets, Internet shop called Witzend, 3 medium size hotels, and only 10 minutes drive from the hustle and bustle of the main resorts.

bonitatime
01-03-2015, 22:46
There is only one place to live and that is Callao Salvaje, excellent housing, good restaurants, super beach, pleasant people, a mix of nationalities, a French butchers, 2 French Patisseries, 4 small Supermarkets, Internet shop called Witzend, 3 medium size hotels, and only 10 minutes drive from the hustle and bustle of the main resorts.
Wouldn't live in Callao if you were gifting it
Like living in a goldfish bowl

manxie1954
01-03-2015, 23:18
Playa San Juan is ideal, quite a few apartments for sale / rent. Good amount of shops, close to Alcala etc. Beach is still okay and some good walks nearby.