PDA

View Full Version : To eat or not to eat panga fish in Tenerife

primrose
04-02-2015, 21:46
Looked at the photo's of the food and the fish and chips looked lovely but no way would I ever eat Panga, I can't believe they actually serve it and charge that price,it's only fit for the bin you are certainly paying a lot for presentation.

blondie
04-02-2015, 21:54
Now you have worried me Primrose , I had Panga for the first time last week and really enjoyed the mild flakey texture of the fish, why should I never have it again?

primrose
04-02-2015, 21:59
Now you have worried me Primrose , I had Panga for the first time last week and really enjoyed the mild flakey texture of the fish, why should I never have it again?

http://www.spainbuddy.com/to-eat-or-not-to-eat-panga/

tfs1
04-02-2015, 22:18
Looked at the photo's of the food and the fish and chips looked lovely but no way would I ever eat Panga, I can't believe they actually serve it and charge that price,it's only fit for the bin you are certainly paying a lot for presentation.

I agree, previously when I have had it in a number of locations both here and mainland Spain it's always been watery and mushy - yuk ! but if others like it's not a problem but its not for me.

primrose
04-02-2015, 22:39
i think i would be worried after reading that:whistle: if was only the once you will be fine, my worry is how often are we eating it without knowing???, there was something in the papers a while ago telling us that british chippys were selling it as cod to make more proffit:(

Lots of restaurants try to pass it off as Cod. Never been served it in a British Chippy but have been served it in a few bars were they were serving it as cod.

blondie
04-02-2015, 22:43
i think i would be worried after reading that:whistle: if was only the once you will be fine, my worry is how often are we eating it without knowing???, there was something in the papers a while ago telling us that british chippys were selling it as cod to make more proffit:(

Well you live and learn , personally I will never eat Panga again. Its ironic that I stopped eating another fish , the name of which escapes me at the moment, because it was farmed in the disgusting rivers of Vietnam as well.

Ecky Thump
04-02-2015, 22:51

With the amount of Gregg's Famous Gristle Pies that you have eaten, I wouldn't worry about a bit of Panga and chips!:crylaughing:

I personally wouldn't eat Panga Fish, not so much for health reasons, but it has a horrible mushy taste, especially if you compare it to whiting, cod, plaice etc.......all decent cold water sea fish.

Ecky Thump
04-02-2015, 22:53
Well you live and learn , personally I will never eat Panga again. Its ironic that I stopped eating another fish , the name of which escapes me at the moment, because it was farmed in the disgusting rivers of Vietnam as well.

That will probably be "Basa" another name for Panga and other catfish.

marbro8
04-02-2015, 22:56
in the UK its also known as river cobbler - makes it sound better than panga ! - cod it isnt.

Loads of places sell it - I'm told Taylors Lounge have fantastic fish and chips, will give them a go - at least we can get in there without having to wait months for a table !river cobbler:confused:, i bought some from asda a couple of weeks ago because it looked lovely, and with a choice of sauces, but i left it in the fridge for to long and had to throw it away, glad i did now:laugh:

Ecky Thump
04-02-2015, 22:58
river cobbler:confused:, i bought some from asda a couple of weeks ago because it looked lovely, and with a choice of sauces, but i left it in the fridge for to long and had to throw it away, glad i did now:laugh:

"Cobblers" you never throw food out!:D

marbro8
04-02-2015, 23:05
With the amount of Gregg's Famous Gristle Pies that you have eaten, I wouldn't worry about a bit of Panga and chips!:crylaughing:

I personally wouldn't eat Panga Fish, not so much for health reasons, but it has a horrible mushy taste, especially if you compare it to whiting, cod, plaice etc.......all decent cold water sea fish.well at the moment they seem a lot more appertising than that fish:laugh: and just to stay on topic as far as i know olivers don't pass off panga as cod:laugh: