PDA

View Full Version : Frases en Español

Malteser Monkey
18-02-2015, 16:23
Didn't know where to put this admin as it will be multilingual, so feel free to move

I learnt some strange phrases whilst there that occasionally make me smile when I blurt them out to myself

I just said " Ponte las pilas chica" which translates to put in the batteries - but used to say "hurry up, get a move on"

Where's my straight jacket:doh:

Everyday's a learning day:lol:

I always refer to my glasses as gafas - and a pen is always a boli

So who's next ?

tracy hampshire
18-02-2015, 18:40
my favorite local saying is aranka , probably not spelt correctly , but according to my hubby it means go away & don t come back , so take that as you will, don t know if that is the correct meaning , but that's what he says ???

Malteser Monkey
19-02-2015, 12:28
my favorite local saying is aranka , probably not spelt correctly , but according to my hubby it means go away & don t come back , so take that as you will, don t know if that is the correct meaning , but that's what he says ???

Ahh it just came to me "arrancar" can mean several things depending on the context used

I know it from arranca el coche - start the car

Yes any more

admin
26-02-2015, 10:04

http://www.wordreference.com/definicion/arrancar

arrancar

To remove from the roots.
To remove violently from a dangerous place or situation.
To remove a tooth.
To remove violently.
To get something from someone under duress.
To separate someone from a situation, custom etc violently.
In a race, after it has started, to carry on running.
To start machinery or a vehicle.
To do something desperately.

cainaries
26-02-2015, 14:40
Mala Leche ...used by our neighbours about people who have treated them badly or let them down.

Malteser Monkey
26-02-2015, 18:40
Mala Leche ...used by our neighbours about people who have treated them badly or let them down.

Yup like that one

And although I can't type it correctly as it prob won't let me - when something is the best ever it's the pooota madre

cainaries
26-02-2015, 19:48
Yup like that one

And although I can't type it correctly as it prob won't let me - when something is the best ever it's the pooota madre

Yes, the neighbours use that one as well. Sometimes to the neighbours on the other side of our house to the point that police have been called on occasion. (It's not always we forrigers who cause the problems!)

Malteser Monkey
27-02-2015, 11:19
Tomando el pelo

are you taking the p

translates literally as taking the hair !

so more like pulling my leg as we would say

ribuck
27-02-2015, 12:43
I always refer to my glasses as gafas
I was at a restaurant a couple of weeks ago, and accidentally left my glasses behind. The waitress rushed after me, and said in impeccable English, "Excuse me Sir, you' ve left your gafas on the table."

I was once waiting for the bus at Oceana (just off the main road at Punta de Hidalgo). Every second bus is supposed to call there, but we saw the bus whiz straight past at the top of the road. A German tourist turned to me and said, in English, "Oh no! The guagua forgot to come down here."

SueB
27-02-2015, 14:12
My Venezuelan friend uses lots of funny sayings my favourites are the ones involving animals such as..

andar como burro sin mecate - lit. walk like a donkey without a lead (to be out of control)

arrimar el ascua a su sardina - lit. to bring the coals to your sardine (always put yourself first, look after No.1)

dar un gallo para recibir un caballo - lit. to give a hen to receive a horse (baiting the hook)

My other favourite which she uses a lot is... Si mi tia tuviera ruedas, sería una bicicleta - lit. if my aunt had wheels she would be a bicycle (basically its useless to wish..)

Malteser Monkey
28-02-2015, 11:31
My Venezuelan friend uses lots of funny sayings my favourites are the ones involving animals such as..

andar como burro sin mecate - lit. walk like a donkey without a lead (to be out of control)

arrimar el ascua a su sardina - lit. to bring the coals to your sardine (always put yourself first, look after No.1)

dar un gallo para recibir un caballo - lit. to give a hen to receive a horse (baiting the hook)

My other favourite which she uses a lot is... Si mi tia tuviera ruedas, sería una bicicleta - lit. if my aunt had wheels she would be a bicycle (basically its useless to wish..)

Love em ! thanks !!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Some words come first in my mind before the English prob cause I used them more there than here.

Ferreteria - I never neede a hardware shop when I lived at home !!!
Farmacia
Bomberos
Grua
Gafas and boli (boligrafo) !