PDA

View Full Version : Beheaded woman was left ‘powerless’ to halt assault

Canarian Weekly
20-02-2015, 12:40
THE 60-year-old woman beheaded in a Spanish supermarket nearly two years ago was powerless to stop the “absolutely abhorrent” attack, an inquest heard this week.
Jennifer Mills-Westley, a retired road-safety worker, was shopping in a Los Cristianos supermarket in the Valdes shopping centre when she was brutally attacked on 13th May, 2011 by Deyan Deyanov.
Her daughter, Sarah Mills-Westley, who sat with other family members at Norfolk Coroner’s Court, Norwich, wept as gruesome details of the horrific incident were read out during the hearing.
Deyan Deyanov, 29, a homeless, drug-addict from Bulgaria, was suffering from paranoid schizophrenia when he attacked Mrs Mills-Westley, who lived on the Port Royale complex in Los Cristianos.
Coroner Jacqueline Lake read out excerpts of the jury’s verdict, saying Ms Mills-Westley, originally from Norwich, had been rendered defenceless by the brutality of the attack.
She added: “Mr Deyanov picked up a ham-slicing knife from a shelf. He attacked her from behind, stabbing her repeatedly in the neck until her head was completely severed.
“He then picked up her severed head and walked outside. Her capacity to react and defend herself, or even run away, was completely impaired by the defendant. He ensured he could kill his victim without any risk to himself.”
Ms Lake said post-mortem reports showed Ms Mill-Westley bled to death. She added that the court found Deyanov had been in an “acute” phase of his schizophrenia at the time, meaning he could not discern reality.
He was later sentenced to 20 years in a secure psychiatric unit in Seville following the attack.
The coroner returned a narrative conclusion that Ms Mills-Westley died after an attack by a person she did not know, from which she could not defend herself. “This was an absolutely abhorrent event,” she said.
The family would not comment as they left the inquest.
Deyanov had previously been admitted to the Ablett psychiatric unit at Glan Clwyd Hospital, Bodelwyddan, near Rhyl, in June 2010, while he stayed at a relative’s home in Flint, Wales.
An independent report, published by Healthcare Inspectorate Wales, concluded that there were “clear shortcomings” relating to the care provided in North Wales.
The report noted: “It is difficult to determine how these deficiencies may have directly influenced and led to the events of May 2011.
“However, we do believe that had the issues we identify within the report been addressed, the likelihood of such an incident occurring might have been significantly reduced.”
Sarah and her sister Samantha, said after the report that had staff not missed his serious medical problems, their mother might still be alive today.
They added: “The Health Inspectorate of Wales report has highlighted a number of significant, basic, medical, best-practice failures. These failings are far worse than we had imagined.
“We are shocked to learn that the clearly-prejudicial views of the medical staff severely compromised the diagnosis and, therefore, subsequent treatment of Deyan Deyanov.”
Immediately after the tragedy, Sarah said: “Mum retired a number of years ago and was fully enjoying her retirement, travelling between Tenerife and France, where she spent time visiting her daughter and grandchildren, and her other daughter in Norfolk.
“She was full of life, generous of heart, would do anything for anyone.”

More... (http://www.canarianweekly.com/beheaded-woman-left-powerless-halt-assault/)

Malteser Monkey
20-02-2015, 12:46
Shocking just abs shocking and only 20 years !

macdonald5
20-02-2015, 13:38

An absolute disgrace ,should be life sentence at least I would impose death penalty when no doubt about killings (a life for a life )

Malteser Monkey
20-02-2015, 14:26
An absolute disgrace ,should be life sentence at least I would impose death penalty when no doubt about killings (a life for a life )

:agree: deffo !

Ecky Thump
20-02-2015, 15:28

Hopefully he will spend the rest of his miserable life locked in a institution....which is still to good for him!

macdonald5
20-02-2015, 15:39
Hopefully he will spend the rest of his miserable life locked in a institution....which is still to good for him!

Defo !! And waste of good money !!

tfs1
20-02-2015, 17:54
It was a shocking and terrible thing to happen but we must also remember that the medical authorities had opportunities to provide greater help to this man who had a terrible illness and they didn't.

marbro8
20-02-2015, 21:27
i would put him in a cell 3ftx3ft with no light and just enough food to keep him alive, and torture him slowly every day, but there again i suppose that would infringe on his human rightsrolleyes2:

macdonald5
20-02-2015, 22:50
i would put him in a cell 3ftx3ft with no light and just enough food to keep him alive, and torture him slowly every day, but there again i suppose that would infringe on his human rightsrolleyes2:

Yes , and if that lady had been my mother, sister ,niece or friend I'd gladly torture him every day !!!

martincrabb99
21-02-2015, 09:14
I note that the perpetrator of this abhorrent crime as described by the Coroner was sentenced to twenty years in a secure psychiatric detention centre. I truly hope that that a full evaluation of his schizophrenia is completed and risk assessments completed prior to even considering his release and that full monitoring will be maintained. Managing mental health disorders of offenders released into the community is really difficult and the risks posed are extremely high.

melm
21-02-2015, 12:21
I note that the perpetrator of this abhorrent crime as described by the Coroner was sentenced to twenty years in a secure psychiatric detention centre. I truly hope that that a full evaluation of his schizophrenia is completed and risk assessments completed prior to even considering his release and that full monitoring will be maintained. Managing mental health disorders of offenders released into the community is really difficult and the risks posed are extremely high.

Should we take that risk? The powers that be have got it so wrong so often I shudder to think of this person ever being released. If in doubt,..............DONT

Ecky Thump
21-02-2015, 12:33

I know nothing of the secure Spanish mental health facilities, but if I were to compare them with what we are told about Spanish Prisons, I would think that he will be having very little treatment and that in twenty years time he will be so withdrawn into himself that he might have to remain in a institution for the rest of his life.

martincrabb99
21-02-2015, 14:02
Should we take that risk? The powers that be have got it so wrong so often I shudder to think of this person ever being released. If in doubt,..............DONT

A good point and I did say.....prior to even considering his release. If he is not deemed to be fit then keep him in custody for the protection of the public. You are right to ask because as you are probably aware these individuals often talk the talk but don't walk the walk.....One of my favourite sayings when it comes to psychiatric assessments of individuals in custody for violent crimes.

melm
21-02-2015, 16:07
A good point and I did say.....prior to even considering his release. If he is not deemed to be fit then keep him in custody for the protection of the public. You are right to ask because as you are probably aware these individuals often talk the talk but don't walk the walk.....One of my favourite sayings when it comes to psychiatric assessments of individuals in custody for violent crimes.

What has gone wrong with our society when we have so many really mentally sick people? Is it the way they were brought up? the environment we live in? Drugs, alcohol and weapons so easily obtained ? Wish I knew.

martincrabb99
21-02-2015, 16:19
What has gone wrong with our society when we have so many really mentally sick people? Is it the way they were brought up? the environment we live in? Drugs, alcohol and weapons so easily obtained ? Wish I knew.

I'm not an expert on mental health but I think there are a lot of contributory factors such as use of heavy duty cannabis, alcohol abuse and yes the modern environment but also I feel that our current methodology of providing consistent care to these individuals who live in the community may need looking at very closely.

SarahandMe
21-02-2015, 17:47
This news is not from Canarian Weekly. It is copied from another paper and it is wrong for Canarian Weekly to pass it off as its own without giving the source. Same goes for the pilot and daughter story it has published.

martincrabb99
21-02-2015, 20:41
This news is not from Canarian Weekly. It is copied from another paper and it is wrong for Canarian Weekly to pass it off as its own without giving the source. Same goes for the pilot and daughter story it has published.

All I can say is that on the link it clearly shows that it is from the Canarian
Weekly. Other than that I cannot comment as I do not have access to a hard copy.

lynno52
21-02-2015, 20:53
All I can say is that on the link it clearly shows that it is from the Canarian
Weekly. Other than that I cannot comment as I do not have access to a hard copy.

I read this article yesterday in the paper itself. Can't remember whether it said info was from another source.

warbey
21-02-2015, 21:21
This could well be. The attack was in May 2011 which suggests that the TWO YEARS stated was plaigiarism of another Report..

Not the first time the Copy of this Paper illustrates a good Proofreader is needed................

Does Anyone still believe what They read.....I think not.........................

SarahandMe
21-02-2015, 21:42
Sorry, I did not mean to say it did not come to here from the Canarian Weekly. It did but they seem simply to lift their copy and photos from UK papers and BBC website without crediting. It would be more honest to say where it was really from. Otherwise it gives a false impression. I recognise many stories from this week's edition as being literal copies from another publication.