PDA

View Full Version : Animal Chat My cat has become violent after an abscess

Faraway
24-02-2015, 22:08
Our cat is about 2 years old and kept coming to our house for food, quite obviously a stray and eventually we took her in, had the necessary injections etc. Recently she came in with a abscess on the side of her face which had burst - the vet said it was a rodent bite. She had to have an e-collar on for nearly 3 weeks which was traumatic all round, to say the least. Thank God its off now. However, the first week or so she was very nervy, jumping at the slightest sound, then she seemed ok for a while, now she is clamouring for attention and miaows a lot till we stroke her but yesterday she started to get quite nasty with claws out and biting us. This afternoon for example I was on hands and knees weeding, she came back from a jaunt and brushed around me so I petted her and then carried on weeding. The next minute she clawed me right across the cheek! I was so shocked but decided not to give her a tap because of all she had been through, so said soothing words, a quick stroke and carried on weeding. She then leaped on my back and started really having a go and snarling, can't believe it, although I guess all cats are semi ferile here. Again I didn't do anything apart from tell her off soundly and went back in the house - which is just what she wanted me to do as she likes to round us up and get us in the house in the evenings.

However, after relating what happened to my partner, as we were sitting having a drink in front of the fire, I was stroking her as usual, and she went for me again resulting in a very bad scratch as it was difficult to get my hand out of her mouth. This time I told her off and gave her a tap, not hard but sternly and have decided the best thing to do is not to get too near her for a few days.

Does anyone have any advice please on the best way forward. We are sympathetic to her nerves about the collar and are doing our best but I'm now getting quite nervous as this cat is not playing when she has a go - she means it. She always used to sleep on my bed but its getting to the state where I daren't take her in my bedroom.

kingbaker
25-02-2015, 00:33
One of you needs to be put down......not sure which one. Did you go to a doctor?

Ecky Thump
25-02-2015, 00:43
One of you needs to be put down......not sure which one. Did you go to a doctor?

KB, i think you have gone overboard with that reply and you should expect a bit of flak. :blast: :fireworks:

kingbaker
25-02-2015, 01:02
I'm getting my flak jacket on as we speak!!!:p
Not like me to be in trouble, unlike those gonna vote for nigel who're really dillusional.;)

Fivepence
25-02-2015, 01:05
It's because she is suffering and distressed Faraway. If her wound doesn't heal take her back to the vet.
She should calm down as she recovers. See here http://www.best-cat-art.com/cat-aggression.html

kingbaker
25-02-2015, 09:52
Hey Fivepence come esta? :p;)

Faraway
25-02-2015, 12:21
Thanks for your reply. The wound is fully healed and has been for over two weeks or else the vet would not let us take the collar off. She was initially very nervous, then seemed to settle back to normal, but now these aggressive attacks - I guess it will just take time, but it just shows what psychological harm can be done with a collar!

kingbaker
25-02-2015, 14:44
My question was ....Did YOU go to a doctor?

Fivepence
25-02-2015, 17:32
I'm ok KB and off to Tenerife next Tuesday for 10 nights, staying at the Cleopatra Palace.
First time on the island for 7 years. :tiphat:
I was in Tipperary at the end of last month, had a great time. :cheeky:

Malteser Monkey
25-02-2015, 18:22
I'm ok KB and off to Tenerife next Tuesday for 10 nights, staying at the Cleopatra Palace.
First time on the island for 7 years. :tiphat:
I was in Tipperary at the end of last month, had a great time. :cheeky:

Nice to see you back mate

Faraway
25-02-2015, 20:07
My question was ....Did YOU go to a doctor?

I think you are missing the point somewhat - its the cat I'm worried about.....

kingbaker
25-02-2015, 20:37
Sorry NO I haven't missed the point. You need to be checked by a DOCTOR and maybe a jab. Preferably in the a¤se!! hopefully to remind you not to take such risks with your health.:D:D:p:D;)

Blondeshrimp
28-02-2015, 10:22
Sorry to hear about your cat, is it possible that the abscess has spread to the ear or brain? Severe pain can cause aggression in cats, just a thought, it could be why it happens after petting.

warbey
28-02-2015, 21:27
I had a much-loved Cat that would gently Bite Me when being fussed over

I am sorry that I think the Cat should be put down if the Vet finds nothing wrong to merit the behaviour..

Clawing Your Face is too near Your Eyes for comfort whatever the excuse. I don't accept any "Tame" Cat would do that...