PDA

View Full Version : Employment Employment attitudes in Tenerife

Rob.b
02-03-2015, 15:46
As part of a long term plan to move to the Island in a few years I am wondering about working on the Island. We will be financially able to move once I am 55 and my wife is 48. I am a IT service technician (printers pc's, networks ) and my wife is a administrator/PA. We will have good Spanish by then and will have a income from renting out our UK home and be mortgage free in Tenerife. Although we would like to be able to work part time and take home 400-500 euros a month to have a better standard of living.
My main question what is the Spanish attitudes to part time work? Do they have such things as zero hours contracts? Also what are their attitudes to employing British people in general? Is there work for older people? To be honest we would do the likes of shelf stacking etc in shops, bar work (wife has experience) and anything but sales. Am I being realistic or will I have to wait longer to move, until I can afford to properly retire? I would have gone down the self employed route and done a few different things but the tax system does not encourage that.

thanks
Rob

norte
04-03-2015, 18:22
you can always fix computers and printers black. many many people working black in spain because of tax system you mentioned before..

Ecky Thump
04-03-2015, 18:37
you can always fix computers and printers black. many many people working black in spain because of tax system you mentioned before..

When you say "Black", is that as in "the black economy,"which in turn basically means tax evasion...yes????

karen1234
04-03-2015, 18:38

It's alright working black as long as the taxman does not catch you. They are clamping down big style and if caught the fine would be horrendous. Plus no medical insurance. They have implemented a system whereby if you don't have medical insurance you can pay 60 euros to be covered medically. One thought, by doing this and working black you could open a can of worms.

Ecky Thump
04-03-2015, 18:40
It's alright working black as long as the taxman does not catch you. They are clamping down big style and if caught the fine would be horrendous.

I would also think if that's the case, then it's not the ideal way to start a new life in Tenerife....constantly dodging the law and living in fear of possible imprisonment.:cop:

norte
04-03-2015, 21:11
i know its not ideal.. but its possibility , its more i suppose if you are forced to go black rather than choose it as a acceptable way of doing things. there i come from half of economy is black.. peopple get paid in envelopes.. its sad state of affairs..