PDA

View Full Version : Cars & Transport Doctors letter of fitness to drive

1247sandra
03-03-2015, 18:44
My friend aged 51 has been pulled over by the police asking her for a letter from her doctor to say she if it to drive and that there is a 400 euro on the spot fine for not having one.They let her go without the fine but told her to get a letter.Anyone heard about this?

Greg
03-03-2015, 20:33
Sounds like a con to me. Knock one up on photoshop!

karen1234
04-03-2015, 00:52
You get this letter when you renew your Spanish driving licence and this is sent to Trafico, so I don't know why the police were asking for this

timmylish
04-03-2015, 01:53
Not so quick guys. If the person had a UK Driving Licence the Police are now withing their rights to emphasise the necessity to have a full Spanish Licence so there may be more to this story, as is often the case.

cainaries
04-03-2015, 11:29
Slightly off topic. A German friend of ours who over-winters here has had to get a letter from his local Ayuntamiento to confirm that he is not permanently resident here. With that letter he is able to drive here on his German driving licence. He had to take the letter and his licence to Trafico to get the whole situation resolved.

karen1234
04-03-2015, 14:54
Not so quick guys. If the person had a UK Driving Licence the Police are now withing their rights to emphasise the necessity to have a full Spanish Licence so there may be more to this story, as is often the case.

As from the 20th January this year anyone who has been resident in Spain for over 2 years and their licence has more than a 15 year expiry date (I think, maybe 14 years) must change their driving licence to a Spanish one. Like you timmylish I thought the same thing as you.

norte
04-03-2015, 18:14
how much cost to change license to spanish one? thanks.

karen1234
04-03-2015, 19:22
About 30 euros plus the medical letter which could be up to 50 euros depending on which centre you go to.

Greg
04-03-2015, 22:02
1247 sandra hasn't said whether her friend is a resident or not! Or which type of licence she holds or for how long she has held it. A bit more information would be in order before everyone gets on the band wagon. (Which would then probably require a difference licence altogether!!!!!) :whistle:

timmylish
07-03-2015, 22:45
Just a general point on this. If you do not speak reasonable Spanish and, by law, you are required to change your licence to a Spanish one it might be simpler to engage the services of an Agent to take the process from a to b. You would still be required to attend for a 'medical' but at least that process is so simple that speaking Spanish is not really needed. Obviously this would cost the Agents fee on top of the statutory fees involved. Its a real little earner for the Govt. I have to go thru' the process every 2 years now due to my age. I started the process in early January and still don,t have my new licence so its not speedy but for future years at least DVLC will not be involved in delaying matters!

1247sandra
08-03-2015, 17:29
My friend has a holiday home here and comes from November to end of March and has 19 years left on her licence.I know legally you should register with the police if you stay longer than three months but how many of the swallows actually do that?

timmylish
09-03-2015, 04:17
My friend has a holiday home here and comes from November to end of March and has 19 years left on her licence.I know legally you should register with the police if you stay longer than three months but how many of the swallows actually do that?

But the point is your friend is in contravention of the current legal position on Driving Licences and any opportunity the Police have they will issue fines to generate further incomes, as instructed!

Greg
09-03-2015, 21:13
Less than 6 months = non resident. Don't bother. If you are not considered a resident you don't need a Spanish licence. In 27 years here I have never had a problem. Don't panic, it ain't going to happen.