PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Advice wanted about possible part time opportunities should we retire in Tenerife

winner
06-03-2015, 10:17
Hello all.

This is my first post on here and I'm looking for some information if anyone can help.

My wife and I will be taking early retirement soon and we are exploring options for relocating somewhere a bit warmer and with a better quality of life than in the UK. Tenerife is high up the list and we think we will be able to afford to buy a small property and still keep a property in the UK.

From what I have read in the various posts on here, we think we will have enough retirement income and savings to manage but would like to have the option to earn additional income, probably on a part time basis.

So, my enquiry is about whether we would be able to find work that we could do. My wife and myself are OFSTED registered childminders and we currently run a successful home business in the UK. Is there much work for childminders/babysitters in Tenerife?

I am also an experienced and qualified astronomer and Tenerife is a dream destination for its dark skies- is there any work for experienced stargazing tour guides or opportunities to start a business doing this or perhaps setting up a public observatory?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Andrzej
06-03-2015, 19:37
Can't help you with business opportunities in Tenerife but what I will say is please look into inheritance tax laws before buying a property! It's not like the UK! Probably better to rent but seek expert advice before you buy!

Malteser Monkey
06-03-2015, 23:54
Can't help you with business opportunities in Tenerife but what I will say is please look into inheritance tax laws before buying a property! It's not like the UK! Probably better to rent but seek expert advice before you buy!

Nice to see you back mate - don't be a stranger. :wave:

marbro8
07-03-2015, 00:07
personally i think you would be better renting out your own property and put the money to renting in tenerife, as my wife says,"let someone else worry about the bills":wink:

bonitatime
07-03-2015, 08:17
Childminding is an option but would probably not be able to register as by the time you have paid social and tax you wouldn't have much left. There is no system here where you can register and do this in your house.
Think carefully before you commit

winner
07-03-2015, 16:27
personally i think you would be better renting out your own property and put the money to renting in tenerife, as my wife says,"let someone else worry about the bills":wink: yes we will be doing that

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Can't help you with business opportunities in Tenerife but what I will say is please look into inheritance tax laws before buying a property! It's not like the UK! Probably better to rent but seek expert advice before you buy! thanks, hadn't thought of that

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Childminding is an option but would probably not be able to register as by the time you have paid social and tax you wouldn't have much left. There is no system here where you can register and do this in your house.
Think carefully before you commit thanks, we will look into that