PDA

View Full Version : What should I consider planning a move to Tenerife?

Jackpotscott
15-03-2015, 21:57
Hi

i was browsing the internet and came across the website and thought i would sign up, I am thinking about moving over to tenerife from the UK.

Does anybody have any Do's and dont's?

How hard is it to set everything up once there council tax etc?

Is it better to buy your apartment or rent?

Thank you in advance for any help.

Scott.

philbarke
15-03-2015, 22:33
Hi Scott

I moved to the island recently and was asking questions similar to yours prior to making the move. Some people were negative and said there's a high rate of unemployment etc. Others were encouraging. It all depends what line of work you want to do out here. But the one bit of advice I would give is just make sure you have enough money to see you over a month or two until you start earning. I booked an apartment online through a travel agent for a 4 week stay prior to coming out. In that time I managed to get everything done , including getting a job and NIE, rental etc. Book the flight and just go for it. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work out and you go home. Enjoy!

Jackpotscott
15-03-2015, 23:08
Hi Scott

I moved to the island recently and was asking questions similar to yours prior to making the move. Some people were negative and said there's a high rate of unemployment etc. Others were encouraging. It all depends what line of work you want to do out here. But the one bit of advice I would give is just make sure you have enough money to see you over a month or two until you start earning. I booked an apartment online through a travel agent for a 4 week stay prior to coming out. In that time I managed to get everything done , including getting a job and NIE, rental etc. Book the flight and just go for it. Worst case scenario, it doesn't work out and you go home. Enjoy!

Thank you for the fast reply phil.

Firstly i have a few self sustaining businesses over here that will still be active in which will provide myself income moving over.

How did you find the transition? How long have you been there for at the moment?

Which area are you staying in?

I was thinking about coming over an starting a fresh business as well i have a car so i would probably drive over to there have you any experience in getting over on a car where do you need to get the ferry from?

ArtyWendy
16-03-2015, 00:31
Hi Jackpotscott

We moved here almost two years ago and love it. On Tenerife forum we found our first/starter apartment renting. Also on here found an H1 Tenerife registered Van that a returning Brit wanted to swap. Swapped my car for it...10 days before we set off ! (still lot easier than RHD driving and matriculation etc here that has a cost attached too). Went from the East Midlands to Portsmouth - ferry to Santander - drove through Spain - lovely few days seeing parts you never get to see as a tourist - to Huelva and caught the Armas Spanish ferry to Tenerife, which was like being on holiday.
If you're an entrepreneurial type you'll survive. Be prepared for some hefty Spanish bureaucracy at times.. everyone else has been through it! Decide where you want to live and how... amongst the Brits or the Spanish. We live on the West Coast, 'cos that's where I like best, have fabulous views over Playa San Juan, Alcalá etc in an old Spanish town. Living amongst the Spanish improves your language learning no end.
Good Luck with it all. PM me if you want any more help. Best wishes Wendy

Jackpotscott
16-03-2015, 14:12
Hi wendy, really interested read, another big thing is speed of internet i need to be getting a good internet connection and this in turn would choose where i was based. Where are the best areas?

I am certainly really interested in the prospect of moving to tenerife.

What things did you put in process before you went?

is there anywhere i should avoid?

kathml
16-03-2015, 14:29
Internet a is a total hit or miss although it is gradually improving
Think you should visit tenerife and have a look and decide where you want to stay you will then hear the pros and cons of each area a lot depends on what type of life you want to lead

Jackpotscott
16-03-2015, 17:19
Hi Kathml, what do you mean by what type of life i want to lead?

Does anyone on here have the pros and cons of each area?

how far is it to travel from La Jaca to las americas.

primrose
16-03-2015, 17:49
Hi Kathml, what do you mean by what type of life i want to lead?

Does anyone on here have the pros and cons of each area?

how far is it to travel from La Jaca to las americas.

26 Minutes by car with no traffic. 34KM

kathml
16-03-2015, 18:12
Do you want to live rural or on the beach in a quiet residential area in a busy tourist area you can get it all but you've got to say what you want before anyone can advise

Ecky Thump
16-03-2015, 18:42
As to areas, after a few weeks you will want to avoid the average tourist area, they tend to be full of fat, and poorly dressed people, especially the Brits.!

So after reading one of your previous posts, then you are "Fat and dress poorly":lol:.......

Quote Westminster

Re: What do retirees do in Tenerife?
"We always hire a car for the duration of our visit, and that enables us to tour around ."

Westminster
16-03-2015, 19:48
An asinine comment by Ecky Thump, a person who obviously has little else to do but write quotes on the Tenerife Forum.

Ecky Thump
16-03-2015, 19:54
An asinine comment by Ecky Thump, a person who obviously has little else to do but write quotes on the Tenerife Forum.

But, apart from my post being foolish (asinine), I was trying to being very courteous by saying that the author of the original silly and offensive post that I quoted was indeed by your illustrious self !:wink:

Jackpotscott
17-03-2015, 00:31
The only preference i have is that i need a really good business line for data and i will need a 3-5 bedroom house/villa to rent.

Where are the best places to look for places for rent?

What is the process of sorting a tenancy agreement?

Ecky Thump
17-03-2015, 01:08
The only preference i have is that i need a really good business line for data and i will need a 3-5 bedroom house/villa to rent.

Where are the best places to look for places for rent?

What is the process of sorting a tenancy agreement?

You should maybe try sending forum member YOUNG GOLFER a PM as he is in the property market and maybe he will be able to offer you some help, or he may see this thread.:pray:

Angusjim
17-03-2015, 10:58

Thats you TELT:c2::lol:

Ecky Thump
17-03-2015, 11:06
Thats you TELT:c2::lol:

As my school reports used to say...This boy refuses to listen":lol:

But the forum is coming up in the world with words like "asinine" being used.:D

Pompous Pillock!!:devil2:

Angusjim
17-03-2015, 11:07
As my school reports used to say...This boy refuses to listen":lol:

But the forum is coming up in the world with words like "asinine" being used.:D

Pompous Pillock!!:devil2:

Or even the F word;)

philbarke
17-03-2015, 21:28
Sorry for late reply scott! I've been here not even 3 weeks as a resident and have managed to secure a job with a well known and secure business. Are you looking to set up your own business here perhaps? We reside in Los Cristianos and love it. But the island as a whole is lovely, although I haven't been everywhere so can't advise on where to or not to live. And I'm afraid I don't know too much about the ferries here either. Although Id assume Google has all the answers on that. If you're financially stable then Id say just get out here and explore the Island and your options, why wait!