PDA

View Full Version : Internet How can I get internet on my laptop when on holiday?

ILoveTenerife
03-04-2015, 14:59
Hi there!

I am coming out for 2 weeks for a holiday to Tenerife in May. I am doing a degree course and have a lot of studying to do, so hoping to keep on top of my work as much as I can when I come over, so need the internet!

I am staying in a self-catering holiday apartment within a holiday complex. I want to be able to get an internet connection in the apartment. There is wifi I believe in the holiday reception area but really want to be in the apartment.

How do I do this? What is the best way?

Hope someone can help! ???

Susief23
03-04-2015, 15:03
Hi there!

I am coming out for 2 weeks for a holiday to Tenerife in May. I am doing a degree course and have a lot of studying to do, so hoping to keep on top of my work as much as I can when I come over, so need the internet!

I am staying in a self-catering holiday apartment within a holiday complex. I want to be able to get an internet connection in the apartment. There is wifi I believe in the holiday reception area but really want to be in the apartment.

How do I do this? What is the best way?

Hope someone can help! ???

Welcome.

You need to buy a dongle. We have an orange one. Bought it off EBay for €59 with a months credit.
Here's the link: http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=321244968332

ILoveTenerife
03-04-2015, 15:45
Thanks! Thought would have to get a dongle. So that particular dongle you have given me the link to, how much is one month's credit exactly? Just general surfing for several hours each day?
I'm not a great computer whizz but this dongle would be compatible with all laptops? I would only need the dongle, not the sim though if I'm using a laptop?

Susief23
03-04-2015, 16:07
Thanks! Thought would have to get a dongle. So that particular dongle you have given me the link to, how much is one month's credit exactly? Just general surfing for several hours each day?
I'm not a great computer whizz but this dongle would be compatible with all laptops? I would only need the dongle, not the sim though if I'm using a laptop?

If you wanted to use dongle you need the SIM card which is included..
It's with Orange.
We use ours when we go out to Tenerife and I put €35 on which lasts 30 days and get unlimited surfing, my hubby usually watches a football match or two.
The dongle I've sent you the link to has a mônths credit on it.
When you get to Tenerife to activate it you just send a text to Orange.

cressrt
03-04-2015, 17:15
Try to find out the coverage for where you are staying as all networks here suffer from poor coverage in some areas.

ILoveTenerife
03-04-2015, 18:43
I'm staying at parque del sol in south tenerife, playa fanabe...know good coverage for there at all?!!

KirstyJay
03-04-2015, 20:35
If you have an iPhone or something similar, couldn't you just get a PAYG SIM with calls and data and use your phone as a hotspot? Vodafone have 4G in the main towns and resorts now.

candy2411
04-04-2015, 07:56
What about a MIFI you can then use wifi on phone, tablet and laptop. I get my top up from a computer shop in Americas, its on vodafone costs 20 euros for 2 GB for 30 days. I have heard there are even cheaper options available on other networks. Personally I'm happy with Vodafone as I've yet to find a spot on the island doesn't have coverage.:)

tub
06-04-2015, 19:57
try the computer shop in san eugineio shopping center i had my dongle from them and you can load it for as long as you want i do mine for a month but you can just do it for a week we stay in that area and have no trouble with speed

igeorge
20-04-2015, 12:26
Well, A dongle might be the best solution for anyone planning a short stay. Pay as you go dongles are available at mobile phone shops and at main branches of the Correos (Spanish Post Office) for about €20.

melank
27-04-2015, 14:54
Hi, I was on the same problem, I'm a "heavy" user as I rely on Internet for my directions, busses, catch up work and "neutralizing" my kids. I finally went for a new solution a friend spotted for me at the airport, they basically rent mifis with unlimited quota what gave me peace of mind and is quite convinient! They allow 10 devices no limits and up to now the device has performed very well! The only "but" is that they ask for a deposit that should be fully refundable, they are on the Airport so I will asume they are serious, up to now very well! 10 days cost me 60€ + 80€ deposit. Will report if I have any issue returning the device. the Company is Pocketnet.es I hope this helps people, is a nightmare to find a reliable solution for holidaymakers!!!!

melank
10-05-2015, 01:06
No issues with the device return, deposit refunded straight away!!! Average use: 2gb/day :) 100% recomended!!

Hi, I was on the same problem, I'm a "heavy" user as I rely on Internet for my directions, busses, catch up work and "neutralizing" my kids. I finally went for a new solution a friend spotted for me at the airport, they basically rent mifis with unlimited quota what gave me peace of mind and is quite convinient! They allow 10 devices no limits and up to now the device has performed very well! The only "but" is that they ask for a deposit that should be fully refundable, they are on the Airport so I will asume they are serious, up to now very well! 10 days cost me 60€ + 80€ deposit. Will report if I have any issue returning the device. the Company is Pocketnet.es I hope this helps people, is a nightmare to find a reliable solution for holidaymakers!!!!