PDA

View Full Version : Internet Does anyone have information about the Navagatel company for internet?

Callaoanne
11-04-2015, 18:11
Does anyone have any info about a company providing broadband via a small satellite dish called Navagatel who promise at least 5 MB(or is it GB)!!!!Non technic here! I am with Moviestar but just get about two and a half if I am lucky and whilst using Direct telecom for catch up and live TV, sometimes the server keeps freezing and at times is unusable.Does the number of people using the internet affect its speed-- told you I was a dummy!Sometimes the speed is good and sometimes a pain and the computer runs so slowly at times. I live in Callao Salvaje which is a notorious spot for poor connection, at least I get some whilst friends 500 yards away can't get any.
I think there are more companies now offering internet connection so I am exploring all avenues to improve my lot.Thanks for any advice or observations.

timmylish
12-04-2015, 01:24
TELEFONICA are upgrading everyone in spain to 20mb VDSL this year ,so best to hang on

elpais.com/elpais/2015/03/23/inenglish/1427131404_012971

Telecom operator Telefónica has announced that it will triple the connection speed for all its internet customers before the summer.
The communications provider will also switch all its ADSL clients to its new fiber-optic network as soon as the service is available in their location at no extra charge, sources familiar with the situation told EL PAÍS.
The firm will also switch all its ADSL clients to its fiber-optic network as soon as it is available to them
The unprecedented move rests on the fact that Telefónica knows its customers require a quality broadband connection in order to subscribe to its new services, such as streaming video or pay TV.

Aye but are the Canaries part of Spain as far as Telefonica is concerned and worse still, although the Fibre line is only 1 km from my home, since we live in the south of this Island there is insufficient client base for Telefonica to spend the required money (according to previous advices given by Telfonica).

Ricman
12-04-2015, 10:16
Hhmmm. Whenever I give my address as Tenerife or enter 922 as my phone code for anything to do with internet, it suddenly appears as though I live on an island many, many kilometres away from civilisation.

Look forward to seeing the new Telefonica then.

KirstyJay
12-04-2015, 13:41
TELEFONICA are upgrading everyone in spain to 20mb VDSL this year ,so best to hang on

elpais.com/elpais/2015/03/23/inenglish/1427131404_012971

Telecom operator Telefónica has announced that it will triple the connection speed for all its internet customers before the summer.
The communications provider will also switch all its ADSL clients to its new fiber-optic network as soon as the service is available in their location at no extra charge, sources familiar with the situation told EL PAÍS.
The firm will also switch all its ADSL clients to its fiber-optic network as soon as it is available to them
The unprecedented move rests on the fact that Telefónica knows its customers require a quality broadband connection in order to subscribe to its new services, such as streaming video or pay TV.

I think this story will probably refer to the mainland rather than the autonomous regions

Megaloo
12-04-2015, 14:48
I live Urb El Durazno which is just up from Puerto de la Cruz and our building has ben told we will be getting fibre optics very soon, My friend who lives in Villa just round the corner from me has had to sign for the box to be changed as it is on her outside wall, so it does seem as things are moving in the right direction for the North anyway./

karinagal
12-04-2015, 18:27
i have customers in south tenerife who have already been converted from ADSL to VDSL and now get 30mb ...
i order lines everyday in the islands ,so i again have no idea why people think that it applies only to the peninsula .
offering a fast service ,sometimes having install in 24 hours .

Fingers crossed but not holding my breath...! Having said that, I'm very lucky to regularly get in the region of 8.5mb..

KirstyJay
12-04-2015, 19:54
Fingers crossed but not holding my breath...!

That's how I feel! We've barely got 2.5 meg where I live so I'll believe it when I see it!

JaBBa
13-04-2015, 15:13
Airfibre comes with a small dish installed,on there 10meg package you can get speeds of 7-8meg...

http://www.airfibre.es/en

Ricman
15-04-2015, 10:06
Perhaps Mr. TVs could advise us what he charges for 30 megs VDSL ?

tfs1
15-04-2015, 14:46
Fingers crossed but not holding my breath...! Having said that, I'm very lucky to regularly get in the region of 8.5mb..

Things are moving. There were a few telecoms guys putting new cable underground outside Tenerife Sur in Los Cristianos a week or so ago. We are promised fibre in/around our complex by mid year.

timmylish
15-04-2015, 16:30
Not to put a damper on things, as promised by our very own Telefonica expert, I had Telefonica check my connection recently and when the engineer came out, he lives locally, I asked him as to future work to supply all of the Canaries but more importantly, the San Isidro area, with fibre optic or any other high speed connection in the next year or so, he choked on his coffee we have him. Once he dried his shirt he laughed, 'don,t believe anything coming out of Telefonica or any other institution' until the Canaries is treated as part of Spain!
TVs clearly sees fit to suggest that I have no background information on the legal status of the Canaries I should remind him, as he well knows, 25 years of living here gives me a head,s start over most Brits living here. As with most long term residents I shall believe all this wondrous info on Telefonica when I see evidence of progress. Since I live 500mtrs. from the Autopista, slightly less to our Medical Centre and TWO schools I would expect to one of the first customers likely to experience advancements on internet access. OH and btw my doctor was amazed when I told him he had Fibre Optic in his office, on the basis of the info provided by TVs recently!

Greg
15-04-2015, 20:19
Airfibre comes with a small dish installed,on there 10meg package you can get speeds of 7-8meg...

http://www.airfibre.es/en

I get 18Mbs with Airfibre. I'm a very happy bunny! :)

Cas
02-05-2015, 22:28
Hi Greg

Is your Airfibre working all the time? I have read a few posts on here and some says it's ok others not so happy with it. I am looking to get broadband installed but not sure which company to use.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Greg
02-05-2015, 23:11
Hi Cas, I have had no problems at all. I have friends who also have it and had no problems. We are all with line of sight to Guaza Mountain so you should ask where their nearest transmitter to you is although their engineer does check the connection before he installs.

Cas
03-05-2015, 00:09
Thank you Greg, that's helpful as I have to sort out an Internet connection and not really bothered about a telephone line. I am in Los Cris so not sure what the connection will be like here but will contact them to find out.