PDA

View Full Version : Other Teide national park - Is it still free?

bennoa1
30-04-2015, 20:58
I remember reading that there was going to be a charge to enter the national park. Has this been implemented and if so where are the charging points.
Thanks.

ribuck
01-05-2015, 10:33
The park remains "free" as in free of entry charge, provided you're not making a commercial movie in which case they charge you over a million euros.

The park is not "free" as in freedom of movement. There are some parts of the park where you are not allowed to leave the paths, and other parts from which the public are totally prohibited. To go to the top of Teide is allowed but there is a quota and it requires a permit, but even this is free of cost if you don't count the bureaucratic hassles as a cost.

tfs1
01-05-2015, 11:01
The park remains "free" as in free of entry charge, provided you're not making a commercial movie in which case they charge you over a million euros.

The park is not "free" as in freedom of movement. There are some parts of the park where you are not allowed to leave the paths, and other parts from which the public are totally prohibited. To go to the top of Teide is allowed but there is a quota and it requires a permit, but even this is free of cost if you don't count the bureaucratic hassles as a cost.

you can book your permit online, I have never done it but the link is below. Click on the bookings option, on the green bar, seems to be straight forward.

https://www.reservasparquesnacionales.es/real/parquesnac/usu/html/inicio-reserva-oapn.aspx?cen=2&act=%201

ribuck
01-05-2015, 11:49
you can book your permit online, I have never done it but the link is below. Click on the bookings option, on the green bar, seems to be straight forward.
Yes, the online booking works. Remember to bring your passport to leave with the guard while you are on the summit, or you won't be allowed to proceed. And make sure you're not late for your two-hour time slot. The guard does have the authority to let you through anyway, but you can't count on it. Or stay at the AltaVista refuge and go to the summit for the sunrise; the gate is left open overnight and no formality is required beyond booking your bed in the refuge, provided you are off the summit and back out of the gate by 8:50am.

bennoa1
01-05-2015, 13:47
Thanks all. Been up there loads of times and understand the sensitivity around protecting the area. They were talking about charging and I'd like to go up at night to see the stars, which I've not done before due to alcohol consumption taking priority. Maybe spend about 600 days in total in Tenerife so maybe the time is now right to at least go up early evening to see how amazing the stars must be from up there. Do fancy going to the summit but it sounds like hard work. When I've looked before you had to go up to Santa Cruz to get a permit so at least the process seems a bit more straight forward.

ribuck
01-05-2015, 14:21
... I'd like to go up at night to see the stars, which I've not done before due to alcohol consumption taking priority...
If you book a night at the Parador, you can see the stars (which are truly marvellous) AND partake in alcohol consumption!

bennoa1
01-05-2015, 14:32
Like my own bed to much but not a bad idea. I'm sure one part night off won't be a great hardship.

essexeddie
01-05-2015, 16:06
Nipped up there in Feb, still free.