PDA

View Full Version : Other A Big Thank You for your help in the Mountains

JillADavidson
02-05-2015, 17:15
Hello again, it has been ages, but now that I am happily retired, there is time to pick up with you all.

I wanted to start this thread in the hope that my thanks might just reach some people who helped me, high in the mountains, in March of this year.

Hubby and I finally achieved a long held ambition to climb Guahara (spelled something like that!).
On reaching the top, and after enjoying the sensationsl views from up there, we decided to descend to the Parador by the steeper, more "interesting" route. We are experienced mountain walkers and were properly equipped. A bit of bouldering, we were up for that!
The boulders were fine, the indistinct and very rough scree path less so. Hubby sat down a couple of times with no harm done. Then I felt myself going and sat down, only to find myself doing a full 360 degree roll down the extremely steep, rock strewn slope. Luckily I then came to a stop. No serious damage, but my forehead was covered in blood, must have been when I felt my head bounce off that rock.
It was at that moment we learnt how inadequate a typical first aid kit really is. We were fiddling around with antiseptic wipes and plasters to no good effect when a young couple arrived and asked if were OK. The woman turned out to be a doctor. She dressed the deep cut in my forehead and applied a pressure bandage, making sure that I was OK before heading off down the mountain.
It probably took us another 3 very careful hours to finally get back to the car just before sunset. I would not like to have done that with blood pouring down my face! And only later, when we really thought about it, did we really appreciate how fortunate we were that they helped us.
The dressing was so good that I healed without the need for stitches.

I would so like to be able to thank that lady doctor. I think she was probably from the Netherlands. Maybe, just maybe, she will see this post.

Thank you.

Jill

ribuck
03-05-2015, 09:21
I'm glad you were well-treated, and I'm sure the doctor will have realised how grateful you were anyway.

I do enjoy the "interesting" Guajara route, although I've only done it in the uphill direction.

JillADavidson
03-05-2015, 16:15
I'm glad you were well-treated, and I'm sure the doctor will have realised how grateful you were anyway.

I do enjoy the "interesting" Guajara route, although I've only done it in the uphill direction.

Thank you ribuck, i knew I had spelt it wrong!!

I think uphill is the only sensible way to use the Interesting route, it is so much easier to climb upwards on difficult terrain, and the route would be more obvious. I would not recommend anyone else to try using it for their descent. :tiphat: