PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Relocating to Tenerife.

COR76
11-05-2015, 17:47
Hi,
I'm hoping/wanting to relocate to Tenerife in the not too distant future, along with my gf. Ideally to start a new business(personal trainer), or maybe buy an existing business. Just looking for a heads up on the current financial and economic state of Tenerife as its my no.1 choice to relocate to after visiting there a few yrs ago. I put a similar thread on another forum for mainland spain as my options are fairly open at this moment, but all I got back from those guys was all doom and gloom and very negative. I'm in no rush, though the next 12 months or so I will be ready to move away from the UK. Not yet 40, no ties or baggage holding me back, just wanting to get away from the doldrum that is the miserable uk. All info and honest opinions will be appreciated!
Thanks.

lynno52
11-05-2015, 17:55
Hi and welcome to the Forum. I cannot answer you questions however there are numerous recent threads /posts in the 'Relocating to or from Tenerife' section which may help somewhat? :welcome:

clivey
11-05-2015, 21:19
Hi,
I'm hoping/wanting to relocate to Tenerife in the not too distant future, along with my gf. Ideally to start a new business(personal trainer), or maybe buy an existing business. Just looking for a heads up on the current financial and economic state of Tenerife as its my no.1 choice to relocate to after visiting there a few yrs ago. I put a similar thread on another forum for mainland spain as my options are fairly open at this moment, but all I got back from those guys was all doom and gloom and very negative. I'm in no rush, though the next 12 months or so I will be ready to move away from the UK. Not yet 40, no ties or baggage holding me back, just wanting to get away from the doldrum that is the miserable uk. All info and honest opinions will be appreciated!
Thanks.

Join the club. My plans to relocate have been hampered for the last few years by the ordeal of releasing capital from my current home to reinvest in other properties which I intend to let out in the UK to provide me with a guaranteed income stream. This process is now thankfully underway.

Many on this Forum will advise of a few things. Heres what I`ve gleaned. Hopefully others will advise soon

( a ) don`t arrive in Tenerife with no income .
( b ) don`t expect employment to be forthcoming.
( c ) don`t cash in your chips in the UK and come out with a wad of cash. it won`t be enough.
( d ) don`t cut off ties or sell property/assets in UK to fund a purchase on the island. ( Hell in paradise syndrome).

To get boring.You need to treat the whole thing as you would a legit business plan. It`s probably the only way barring winning the lotto. To give some heart heres a link to the best set of webcams I`ve found. You can make it your home Page LOL

http://www.canarylive24.com/es/webcam-live-playa-los-cristianos

information
12-05-2015, 12:45
Hi,
I put a similar thread on another forum for mainland spain as my options are fairly open at this moment, but all I got back from those guys was all doom and gloom and very negative. .

well you asked for an honest answer, what did you expect? Spain is in a complete mess at the moment and work is hard to come by. Tenerife is no better, in fact it may be a lot worse. Why do you think so many Spanish are moving to the UK ? I doubt if it is for the sunshine.

doreen
13-05-2015, 08:40
Hello COR76 - I'm guessing you don't speak Spanish, so your target market will be the English speaking ex-pats living in Tenerife: some comments -

1 - there are many other personal trainers here already - take somewhere as small as Palm Mar in Arona. One small gym and of late two additional trainers offering their services, bootcamps etc.

2 - unless the ex-pats are employed in TimeShare/Holiday Clubs, their wages are very very low so personal training is quite a luxury.

3 - local gyms offer very low monthly fees (from about 30 euros on), so if the ex pats are training, that's where they are going.

4 - Even the amazing T3 sports centre, which used charge 120 euros or more a month, has a current offer for 49 euros, so business can't be that good, can it ?
http://www.tenerifetoptraining.com/en/home

ginandmilk
21-06-2015, 11:36
I'm so envious of you all! We want to relocate to Puerto de la Cruz but there's no point in making any plans until we know the outcome of the referendum which won't be next May as we'd hoped!

Greg
21-06-2015, 20:34
This is a beautiful island to visti but a damn hard place to make a living. Think how much you spent on your holidays and have a good think if you can earn enough to sustain that dream. Every day on the beach or by the pool will not happen and neither will eating in your favourite restaurants every night. It is far from impossible but bring enough money to last you atleast six months and don't burn your bridges in the UK. More people have to return than manage to stay. This isn't meant to be doom and gloom but you have to be realistic about your expectations. Most personal trainers I know have a big social life where they meet people and encourage them to join in. Business here with us expats is very word of mouth, if you don't know anyone it isn't going to happen for you very quickly. I hope it works out for you.