PDA

View Full Version : Ex-Oasis FM DJ is handed an MBE

Canarian Weekly
22-05-2015, 11:50
BRINSLEY Forde, lead singer with popular reggae group ASWAD and a former Oasis Fm DJ, was presented with an MBE by Prince William at Windsor Castle on Tuesday.
His group pioneered home-grown British reggae, earning British chart success and the respect of their Jamaican peers.
Their Don’t Turn Around single topped the charts in 1988 and cemented their position as a leading reggae act in the UK.
Prior to his musical success, Brinsley appeared in the Seventies’ TV series Here Come the Double Deckers, British sitcom Please Sir! and the James Bond film, Diamonds Are Forever.
He is also played the lead role in the Eighties’ cult film Babylon, about the life of young black man in a troubled London.
Brinsley, who started out as a child actor, received the award for his services to music and charity.
He spoke with the Prince about his new daughter – and told him he was about to become a grandfather.
“I congratulated him on the birth of Charlotte, and said my son was waiting for the birth of his child,” he said.
Prince William, who is on paternity leave, revealed that he could play bass guitar, and a delighted Brinsley joked afterwards: “I’ve just got a new bass player – you might know him as the Duke of Cambridge.
“He said, ‘I’m a bit good on the bass guitar’, so I’m thinking of signing him up. But he’s got such a lot of other duties that I don’t know whether he’ll have time to do it!”

More... (http://www.canarianweekly.com/ex-oasis-fm-dj-is-handed-mbe/)