PDA

View Full Version : Christmas/New Year flights

Lofty
05-06-2015, 16:43
Can anyone recommend any cheap flights for the Xmas /New Year period?
(Pref from Mids / M'Cr)

Ryanair prices seem expensive, currently coming out at circa £1600 for 4 x people, whereas we paid 50% of that 2 years ago!

tfs1
05-06-2015, 16:48
Can anyone recommend any cheap flights for the Xmas /New Year period?
(Pref from Mids / M'Cr)

Ryanair prices seem expensive, currently coming out at circa £1600 for 4 x people, whereas we paid 50% of that 2 years ago!

I have just booked a flight from the mainland to Tenerife for January 2016 and the price is twice what I paid for this years flight.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

However, I used a method to get the price down and pay in GBPs at the point of booking rather than Euros for mainland to Tenerife flights.

The GBP is also lower than the GBP if booking as a return. Looked at 29 January Tenerife to EMA and it was 75€ for a single oneway booking, £64 if booked as part of a return booking starting in the UK or £56 if using my method for a single one way booking.

There maybe other ways of getting the price down, however, £1600 is a lot of money !

Our family + grandkids etc came out to see us in Tenerife last October and it would have been significantly cheaper to fly them from Tenerife to Valencia, wait in the airport for 2 hours and then get the Valencia to East Midlands flight.

Sadly they didnt agree so we (yes, you know who 'we' is) had to pay for the direct TFS- EMA, hey its only money !

glassman
05-06-2015, 17:07
Try Norwegian Air from Birmingham
I've found them to be ok

LindaD
05-06-2015, 17:11
I usually try Skyscanners to get the best prices from each of the airlines so you know at a glance the costs etc from them all.

essexeddie
05-06-2015, 18:08
Booked our winter flights ages ago. Same price as last year.

macdonald5
05-06-2015, 18:31
Booked our winter flights ages ago. Same price as last year.

We never seem to get 'cheap' flights ,paid just over £800 ( two of us) Glasgow - Tenerife Dec- Jan 2016 Jet2
Norwegian Air now available Edinburgh - Tenerife and Thursday flights look particularly reasonable
We find if little flexibility re dates, apartment etc if price is acceptable we take it , never find prices go down even when Jet2 offer 10% off - the original price was usually less !!

essexeddie
05-06-2015, 19:00
We normally pay around £40+ for flights from London. That is one way of course.

Lofty
06-06-2015, 18:18

You pay £40 for Xmas / new year flights?
Who with?

TOTO 99
06-06-2015, 18:20
Who with?

Dan Air.....:laugh:

Malteser Monkey
06-06-2015, 19:00

How much is the + ?:wink:

Blimey I thought marbro8 had gawn all eastenders on us :cheeky:

essexeddie
06-06-2015, 19:04
Don't forget we ate going the opposite way.

tfs1
06-06-2015, 19:16
Who with?

Perhaps we need some clarification regarding what we mean by Xmas/New Year dates.

I will be going back to the UK just before Christmas and returning to Tenerife in early January. These prices are different from going to Tenerife for Christmas and the New Year.

TOTO 99
06-06-2015, 19:17
Perhaps some clarification regarding Xmas/New Year dates is needed.

Well, Christmas is 25th December and New Year is...........:laugh:

Malteser Monkey
06-06-2015, 19:18

and when in China ?

tfs1
06-06-2015, 19:23
Don't forget we ate going the opposite way.

thanks eddie, only just seen the point you made which is the same as mine but you got there first .

but are the people looking for flights flying out on the 24 December and returning on 2 January or going on 12 December and returning 15 January to enjoy Christmas and the New Year in Tenerife - both met the criteria but will have very different prices.

glad to know someone is reading my posts !

TOTO 99
06-06-2015, 19:28
Perhaps we need some clarification regarding what we mean by Xmas/New Year dates.

I will be going back to the UK just before Christmas and returning to Tenerife in early January. These prices are different from going to Tenerife for Christmas and the New Year.

Seeing as you're the forum plane dude, can you tell me why the return (to uk) journey is always more expensive?......It's always bugged me...???

tfs1
06-06-2015, 19:32
Seeing as you're the forum plane dude, can you tell me why the return (to uk) journey is always more expensive?......It's always bugged me...???

thats simple..... its because they use more fuel for the return. Going from the UK to Tenerife you are going down hill but when returning you are going up hill and therefore need more fuel.

TOTO 99
06-06-2015, 19:34
thats simple..... its because they use more fuel for the return. Going from the UK to Tenerife you are going down hill but when returning you are going up hill and therefore need more fuel.

What are you like with satellite TV?....:laugh:

tfs1
06-06-2015, 19:40
What are you like with satellite TV?....:laugh:

There are some places even I dont go !:eyebrows:

and when in China ?

......... do as the chinese do :spin:

If you are happy to book outbound and return as 2 separate bookings and have the inconvience of putting in API twice etc please try this to get cheaper RETURN flights. It has worked for me and I would be interested if it works for others. However, any issues regarding doing this are nothing to do with me ! Book outbound to Tenerife as normal and pay in GBP.

For the return (close browser and start IE/Firefox/chrome etc again)

On the Ryanair website select 'One way', input return date, Tenerife Sur to your UK airport, number of people and find flights. When the flights/prices are displayed leave it and don't press or select anything.

Open another tab and get another Ryanair website displayed on this new tab. Select a return flight , select any UK airport and Tenerife, any dates, any number of passengers and then Find flights. This will display the flights and prices in GBP - leave it alone !

Go back to your original still open Ryanair tab where the TFS to UK flight shows in Euros. Press to Continue and the Euro price will change to show in GBP. The GBP price should be lower than the GBP price if booked as part of a return booking.

Hope it makes sense, I seem to think this has been mentioned before so I am not taking any credit just mentioning it again.

Savings depend on the original price of the flights and some may prefer to make one booking rather than 2 if the savings arent that great.

Lofty
07-06-2015, 00:21
For clarity, the £1600 price for 4 adults I was referring to was; outbound 28th dec, inbound 3rd jan. would love to see a site showing these at circa £40 per flight.....

tfs1
07-06-2015, 08:27
For clarity, the £1600 price for 4 adults I was referring to was; outbound 28th dec, inbound 3rd jan. would love to see a site showing these at circa £40 per flight.....

Sadly you wont unless like Eddie, ourselves and others you are going back to the UK for Christmas and the New Year where flights are generally cheaper as the planes are typically less busy as most are going in the other direction, like your group.

We paid €47 each for our Tenerife to Leeds Bradford flight in December.

essexeddie
07-06-2015, 15:26
Correct. Planes are going back empty so we get very cheap flights. We go out in Oct and return for Xmas then go back in Jan until March. All for £40 flights
Great being a young pensioner sometimes.

tfs1
07-06-2015, 22:05
Correct. Planes are going back empty so we get very cheap flights. We go out in Oct and return for Xmas then go back in Jan until March. All for £40 flights
Great being a young pensioner sometimes.

not forgetting us poor, even younger (just), pensioners from Yorkshire !!!!!!!!:crazy::eyebrows: