PDA

View Full Version : How long does it take to become a native?

EricN
11-06-2015, 19:52
A couple of nights ago someone thought I was Scottish because I was located in Coupar Angus. As anybody who knows Coupar Angus in June and July will know the resident population of CA is either Polish or Latvian. This set me thinking, a lot of members list there location as PDLA or GDS but I doubt they would consider themselves Canarian (I may be wrong).
So my question is when do you consider yourself a native of a country and when do the natives consider you a native?
Do you have to be born in the country, Does at least one parent have to have been born in the country, If you did your schooling and college does that make you a native.

Any takers?

warbey
11-06-2015, 20:20
A couple of nights ago someone thought I was Scottish because I was located in Coupar Angus. As anybody who knows Coupar Angus in June and July will know the resident population of CA is either Polish or Latvian. This set me thinking, a lot of members list there location as PDLA or GDS but I doubt they would consider themselves Canarian (I may be wrong).
So my question is when do you consider yourself a native of a country and when do the natives consider you a native?
Do you have to be born in the country, Does at least one parent have to have been born in the country, If you did your schooling and college does that make you a native.

Any takers?

About as long as a piece of string.

C.A. has very few Natives as You say, so if there are no Natives You cannot be other than an Honorary Native..

or do You wish to be assumed at a Pole or a Latvian.? ....:neener::neener::wave::wave:

melm
11-06-2015, 20:23

Any takers?

OOoooops that was me :laugh: Sorry.
can't answer your questions , but can you tell me what goes on in Couper Angus in June and July, is it seasonal berry picking?

From a personal point of view I can tell you I have lived in this town for ................well lets just say a lot of years. do I consider myself a native. No. I still feel like a native of the village I was brought up in where i will always be known by my maiden name just as I refer to fellow villagers by theirs. Might be a Scottish thing:spin:

EricN
11-06-2015, 21:03
I have only lived in CA for 17 years so still not a local native. I am scottish but have a different accent to the locals and keep getting asked in the pub where I am from, saying CA just prompts them to ask where originally. Yes berry picking in the summer and a chicken processing factory the rest of the year.
maybe a scottish thing or a small town thing.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Just noticed Ive managed to post this in the photo section.

OOPS, I will pay more attention next time.

Ecky Thump
11-06-2015, 21:14
When marbro8 returns home after being in Tenerife for two weeks, all the residents in His home town of Walsall think that he's a Native!:laugh:

marbro8
11-06-2015, 22:35
When marbro8 returns home after being in Tenerife for two weeks, all the residents in His home town of Walsall think that he's a Native!:laugh:and yet i am still seen as a racist:laugh:

LindaD
11-06-2015, 22:38
OOoooops that was me :laugh: Sorry.
can't answer your questions , but can you tell me what goes on in Couper Angus in June and July, is it seasonal berry picking?

From a personal point of view I can tell you I have lived in this town for ................well lets just say a lot of years. do I consider myself a native. No. I still feel like a native of the village I was brought up in where i will always be known by my maiden name just as I refer to fellow villagers by theirs. Might be a Scottish thing:spin:

Defo a Scottish thing melm, as I was brought in small coastal village where people also called neighbours by their maiden name and I too am know by my maiden name still. When my mum married my dad and came to stay in the village (she only stayed in the next village) but always felt she was never a "native" and she stayed there for over 50 years!

Medman
12-06-2015, 08:14
Defo a Scottish thing melm, as I was brought in small coastal village where people also called neighbours by their maiden name and I too am know by my maiden name still. When my mum married my dad and came to stay in the village (she only stayed in the next village) but always felt she was never a "native" and she stayed there for over 50 years!

My friend has been married for 41 years and lived in his wife's small town for that time. He is still known as Caroline Stewart's man. (her maiden name)

macdonald5
12-06-2015, 08:42
My friend has been married for 41 years and lived in his wife's small town for that time. He is still known as Caroline Stewart's man. (her maiden name)

Yes defo a Scottish thing, I'm still often known by my mother's maiden name !!?
You're 'an incomer ' to wee Scottish towns for about 100 years !!

TOTO 99
12-06-2015, 08:48
In Warrington we're just known by a number.....usually found underneath our mugshot....:lol:

Medman
12-06-2015, 08:51
In Warrington we're just known by a number.....usually found underneath our mugshot....:lol:

99 in your case .. :D

warbey
12-06-2015, 19:28
Interesting this.

I suggest it's up to the Person arriving to make an effort to become part of Village life.
You will not bve accepted as a Canarian if You choose to live with only U.K. People.

Years ago I was in a Supermercado, a small one, and I overheard this Spanish Woman say something about Me which was probably derogatory.
The Shopkeeper corrected Her and said something like He is a Nice Person and is Resident here.
As the Residence was 2 weeks each Year, I felt good about this support in what was a Foreign Country.

If We have good Friends I don't suppose it matters what We are called................

marbro8
12-06-2015, 20:39
i would deffo say that to be a native you will have to have been born there, i was born in a little village in brownhills called clayhanger. and we thought that people from the outer brownhills area were outsiders:lol:

Ecky Thump
12-06-2015, 21:01
i would deffo say that to be a native you will have to have been born there, i was born in a little village in brownhills called clayhanger. and we thought that people from the outer brownhills area were outsiders:lol:

I wonder if my son would be classed as a native of his birth town of Walsall. :D

marbro8
12-06-2015, 21:08
I wonder if my son would be classed as a native of his birth town of Walsall. :Ddefinitely:wink2: just don't tell his scottish mates:lol:

Ecky Thump
12-06-2015, 21:10
definitely:wink2: just don't tell his scottish mates:lol:

I think he was in denial about his English links from the age of three.....but I do remind him!! :D

Tshirt
13-06-2015, 10:05
As Marbs says you can only be a native of your birthplace, I'm a native of Evesham where I was born. It doesn't matter how long you live somewhere else you'll never be a native there.

Angusjim
13-06-2015, 10:09
They are ah natives in Coupar Angus 90% o the population are chicken killers:laugh::laugh:

warbey
13-06-2015, 19:45
They are ah natives in Coupar Angus 90% o the population are chicken killers:laugh::laugh:

Are the other 10% pluckers.?

Ecky Thump
13-06-2015, 19:47

Yes, and they are very clever feather pluckers!:laugh:

Angusjim
13-06-2015, 19:53

Almost spot on:lol::lol:

LindaD
13-06-2015, 22:40
Yes, and they are very clever feather pluckers!:laugh:

Say it again please after a few bevvies:laugh::crazy:

EricN
13-06-2015, 22:46
I am not a native of Coupar Angus and a chicken Killer. I am a teuchtar from Angus.
More of a pleasant pheasant plucker, my grandad was a head gammie so also a true statement and a tounge twister.

Ecky Thump
13-06-2015, 23:00
I am not a native of Coupar Angus and a chicken Killer. I am a teuchtar from Angus.
More of a pleasant pheasant plucker, my grandad was a head gammie so also a true statement and a tounge twister.

So your not the real pheasant plucker, your the pheasant pluckers mate, your only plucking pheasants cause the pheasant pluckers late!

LindaD
13-06-2015, 23:06
So your not the real pheasant plucker, your the pheasant pluckers mate, your only plucking pheasants cause the pheasant pluckers late!

Are you sure it's no you that's been on the Cava the night Ecky? :laugh:

Ecky Thump
13-06-2015, 23:08
Are you sure it's no you that's been on the Cava the night Ecky? :laugh:

After typing that, it's just as well the strongest thing that I've drank is a cup of tea. :D

LindaD
13-06-2015, 23:12
After typing that, it's just as well the strongest thing that I've drank is a cup of tea. :D

Aye as a mistake there could've been disastrous :laugh:

Sal
13-06-2015, 23:31
So the original post "How long does it take to become a native?" has been hijacked and people are just having fun! This is what the forum needs! Just general chit-chat and back-chat and a good laugh! Love it!

LindaD
14-06-2015, 00:31
So the original post "How long does it take to become a native?" has been hijacked and people are just having fun! This is what the forum needs! Just general chit-chat and back-chat and a good laugh! Love it!

Your right there Sal, happens all the time, eventually it does go back on topic but until then it's good to chat!!!!!!! :lol::agree:

Angusjim
14-06-2015, 07:46

But members have to take part to make it work:wink2:
Sal I also started this thread and was hoping you could provide some info http://www.tenerifeforum.org/tenerife-forum/showthread.php?38241-Caleta-de-Fusta-Fuerteventura