PDA

View Full Version : Flight Prices

scotchmist
12-06-2015, 23:07
Hi I cant believe they are wanting nearly 500 pounds for two adults return to Tenerife in September is there a cheaper option by train or boat any advice would be welcome Thanks

Ecky Thump
12-06-2015, 23:10
Hi I cant believe they are wanting nearly 500 pounds for two adults return to Tenerife in September is there a cheaper option by train or boat any advice would be welcome Thanks

Is that Ryanair from Prestwick? I've paid £356 for the two of us return, leaving on 24th Sept. Inc. luggage and extra legroom.

scotchmist
12-06-2015, 23:16
No that's from Glasgow airport Ecky

marbro8
12-06-2015, 23:21
Hi I cant believe they are wanting nearly 500 pounds for two adults return to Tenerife in September is there a cheaper option by train or boat any advice would be welcome Thankswe regularly pay that from birmingham or east mids and more, we have just paid about £300 each for october, try looking at norwegian air but i think they only fly from london, traveling by train and boat i wouldn't think would be an option unless you wanted to spend a few days getting there, also take a look at skyscanner ;)

Ecky Thump
12-06-2015, 23:31
I did a search earlier today using TripAdvisor for next May and they came up with some good prices from Glasgow, the only real way to reduce the costs is to be prepared to travel down to Manchester, but that adds costs.

Norwegian Airlines fly from Edinburgh to Tenerife.....worth looking at!

LindaD
13-06-2015, 00:02
Paid £320 from Edinburgh for two going in December, that includes 1 suitcase in hold. EasyJet.

Medman
13-06-2015, 00:04
Is that Ryanair from Prestwick? I've paid £356 for the two of us return, leaving on 24th Sept. Inc. luggage and extra legroom.

Because we left it late we had to pay just under £700. 19th to 29th September from Prestwick inc cases and extra leg room. Like Ecky we have paid half of that before when the wife can make up her bloody mind !!

LindaD
13-06-2015, 00:08
Because we left it late we had to pay just under £700. 19th to 29th September from Prestwick inc cases and extra leg room. Like Ecky we have paid half of that before when the wife can make up her bloody mind !!

I think we only got it for that price coz we booked nice and early. I do keep an eye on the prices though and they have been going up a few pounds every week. I get an alert from Skyscanner to let me know when the prices change - either up or down.

Susief23
13-06-2015, 08:37
I did a search earlier today using TripAdvisor for next May and they came up with some good prices from Glasgow, the only real way to reduce the costs is to be prepared to travel down to Manchester, but that adds costs.

Norwegian Airlines fly from Edinburgh to Tenerife.....worth looking at!

Just checked on skyscanner for Sept and Manchester coming out at £220 return, Glasgow is about £250. Flight times better at Glasgow. 6.30am and 11am back.

Robert you can book them as one way flights. I find if book with Ryan Air as one way coming back then I pay in euros. Saved £20 each last time.

Is it only Glasgow?

Are your dates fixed Robert? Cheaper from Manc going on 30 Aug until 14 Sept. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/13/fc4aef0a73cddac1e44a22591cf61fec.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/13/937e8264134e82f220e88cf6f5da72ba.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/13/dc19ac2bb0c62263a5171d73bf689912.jpg

Ecky Thump
13-06-2015, 09:15
Just checked on skyscanner for Sept and Manchester coming out at £220 return, Glasgow is about £250. Flight times better at Glasgow. 6.30am and 11am back.

Robert you can book them as one way flights. I find if book with Ryan Air as one way coming back then I pay in euros. Saved £20 each last time.

Is it only Glasgow?

Are your dates fixed Robert? Cheaper from Manc going on 30 Aug until 14 Sept. http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/13/fc4aef0a73cddac1e44a22591cf61fec.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/13/937e8264134e82f220e88cf6f5da72ba.jpghttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/06/13/dc19ac2bb0c62263a5171d73bf689912.jpg

Sue, what search company do you use for your flights, I normally would just use Ryanair

Cancel that, I've just seen that it's Skyscanner. :D

TOTO 99
13-06-2015, 09:19
Lol Ecky...Skyscanner......in the 1st line of that giant post....:laugh:

Ecky Thump
13-06-2015, 09:30
Lol Ecky...Skyscanner......in the 1st line of that giant post....:laugh:

I'm at a loss, I can't see where Sue gets that printout from, also the prices I get don't tally up with hers.???

I've never seen one that shows a Tesco advert!

Susief23
13-06-2015, 09:33
I'm at a loss, I can't see where Sue gets that printout from, also the prices I get don't tally up with hers.???

I've never seen one that shows a Tesco advert!

Haha should have gone to Specsavers Ecky. It was a screenshot from my phone. One was Man-TFS and other Glasgow back.

tfs1
13-06-2015, 09:35
I have just done a search using the ryanair website and come up with the following for the return leg on 15 September ie Tenerife to Prestwick - booked as a one way flight ie just the return.

€142.99 € if booked as a one way flight and pay in €.

£ 117.99 if booked as part of a normal return

£ 103.17 if booked as one way flight to pay in GBP.

Susief23
13-06-2015, 09:51
I have just done a search using the ryanair website and come up with the following for the return leg on 15 September ie Tenerife to Prestwick - booked as a one way flight ie just the return.

Yes that was my thinking too. Think Robert has decided too expensive.

Ecky Thump
13-06-2015, 09:53
Haha should have gone to Specsavers Ecky. It was a screenshot from my phone. One was Man-TFS and other Glasgow back.

Stop confusing me, use a bl***y computer....Telephones are for speaking to people! :D

TOTO 99
13-06-2015, 10:42
There is the odd "cheaper" flight available but they are few and far between and you have to be prepared to fly at some horrible times..I've always been happy with Easyjet but this year their times, especially return to Manchester, are no good to me. I do not want to be landing home at 03:00 on any morning thank you!

There doesn't appear to be any morning flights into TFS now. Everything seems to leave Manchester in the afternoon.
The only early flight back seems to be with jet2 mid afternoon which would be great but having looked at the dates I want in September the return alone is over 600Euro for the 2 of us...gulp.

Something has definitely changed and the more choosy traveller ( me ) will have to pay pretty much double what we've been used to.

I need a legroom seat. Monarch are £27 per seat per journey for that now. That's a lot of money. I know we could save money by sitting seperately but I'd rather not. Ryanair are about £16 if I'm not mistaken. Fair play to them given that they could probably charge more.

We will go in September but as an experiment I'm putting it on hold for now just to see if the prices change either way...:tiphat:

Susief23
13-06-2015, 10:52
There is the odd "cheaper" flight available but they are few and far between and you have to be prepared to fly at some horrible times..I've always been happy with Easyjet but this year their times, especially return to Manchester, are no good to me. I do not want to be landing home at 03:00 on any morning thank you!

There doesn't appear to be any morning flights into TFS now. Everything seems to leave Manchester in the afternoon.
The only early flight back seems to be with jet2 mid afternoon which would be great but having looked at the dates I want in September the return alone is over 600Euro for the 2 of us...gulp.

Something has definitely changed and the more choosy traveller ( me ) will have to pay pretty much double what we've been used to.

I need a legroom seat. Monarch are £27 per seat per journey for that now. That's a lot of money. I know we could save money by sitting seperately but I'd rather not. Ryanair are about £16 if I'm not mistaken. Fair play to them given that they could probably charge more.

We will go in September but as an experiment I'm putting it on hold for now just to see if the prices change either way...:tiphat:

Yes we in the same boat. I've booked flights out for end Aug, hubby goes out 26 Aug from Liverpool cost £49, I go 27 with Easyjet, £75, it's 5.40pm so am working until 1pm then off to Manc airport.
We are struggling to get anything coming back for less than £150 each. I've got flight price alerts set on Skyscanner.

Ecky Thump
13-06-2015, 11:04

I need a legroom seat. Monarch are £27 per seat per journey for that now. That's a lot of money. I know we could save money by sitting seperately but I'd rather not. Ryanair are about £16 if I'm not mistaken. Fair play to them given that they could probably charge more.P

Have you thought of taking a more mercenary approach to getting the right price for your holiday flights,
Cut the costs by 50%.....Don't take the wife!

Susief23
13-06-2015, 11:16
Have you thought of taking a more mercenary approach to getting the right price for your holiday flights,
Cut the costs by 50%.....Don't take the wife!

Haha Carol came up with that idea for you Ecky.

Ecky Thump
13-06-2015, 11:18
Haha Carol came up with that idea for you Ecky.

I forgot to mention the downside of my idea.....

It drastically reduces your life expectancy. :D

Susief23
13-06-2015, 11:26
I forgot to mention the downside of my idea.....

It drastically reduces your life expectancy. :D

And you have to carry your own case and buy own drinks?

TOTO 99
13-06-2015, 14:24

Could you remind me again please how you get the RA site to change to sterling on a one way back to Manchester?

Thanks in anticipation...:tiphat:

tfs1
13-06-2015, 15:17
Could you remind me again please how you get the RA site to change to sterling on a one way back to Manchester?

Thanks in anticipation...:tiphat:

No problem - hopefully !

1. close your browser and start it again - this is just to get rid of any others ryanair tabs etc that you may have open.

2 go to the ryanair website home page - select one way, departure airport TFS and arrival airport ie MAN, actual date of travel, no. of people and then 'find flights'.

3. as you know you then get displayed the weeks worth of prices etc including the date you want hightlighted. The prices will be in Euros.

4. LEAVE IT - DO NOT select/press anything !!!

5. open another tab and start a second ryanair 'page', at the home page select round trip, input any dates, any uk airport as the departure airport, any return airport - TFS is the most logical, number of people - then find flights.

6. You then get displayed the weeks worth of prices etc including the dates you want hightlighted. The prices will be in GBP.

7. LEAVE IT - DO NOT select/press anything !!!

8. Return to the first Ryanair tab which show the Euro price.

9 Underneath the bit that says 'flight booking' press the big yellow CONTINUE button - it will change to GBP and you can continue with the booking.

However, if you then press back or anything else it all goes to pot !

NB If you make a TFS-MAN booking this way any future additions to this booking will also be in GBP, so if adding cases suggest you do it at the time of the booking rather than adding on afterwards as you pay the rates in GBP and not Euros and of course pay a premium for adding cases during the 'manage my booking' option.

I made a booking this way last week, it was from Spain to Tenerife, originally in Euros I paid a lower GBP price. Not found any issues with it but of course we havent flown yet !

TOTO 99
13-06-2015, 15:45
Thanks for that. Please don't take this wrongly but why am I doing this?

I've just done it and it has gone from euro to GBP but having checked the conversion at today's rate it works out the same...............Have I missed something?

tfs1
13-06-2015, 16:17
Thanks for that. Please don't take this wrongly but why am I doing this?

I've just done it and it has gone from euro to GBP but having checked the conversion at today's rate it works out the same...............Have I missed something?

probably not - was the rate around 1.38 ?

TOTO 99
13-06-2015, 16:19
probably not - was the rate around 1.38 ?

Yes approximately.

tfs1
13-06-2015, 16:39
Yes approximately.

perhaps we could look at the earlier prices for TFS to Preswick so i can explain my logic.

143 in Euros if booked as 1 way
118 in GBP if booked as part of a return

143/118 = ryanairs exchange rate of 1.21

103 in GBP using my suggestion

143/103 = exchange rate of 1.388

I'm sure there are other options, just thought I would share this - worked for me and saved a couple of quid.

My other option was to book the Euro rate and pay with Nationwide Visa to get their excellant no commision/fee rate, but doing that you have to select paying with a credit card so the initial costs goes up and the effective exchange rate goes down.

TOTO 99
13-06-2015, 16:47
perhaps we could look at the earlier prices for TFS to Preswick so i can explain my logic.

118 in GBP if booked as part of a return

143/118 = ryanairs exchange rate of 1.21

103 in GBP using my suggestion

143/103 = exchange rate of 1.388

I'm sure there are other options, just thought I would share this - worked for me and saved a couple of quid.

My other option was to book the Euro rate and pay with Nationwide Visa to get their excellant no commision/fee rate, but doing that you have to select paying with a credit card so the initial costs goes up and the effective exchange rate goes down.

Thanks, my guess is that you'd also incur 2 booking fees rather than just the one?

Anyway, I don't care if it works or not, it's still a neat trick.....lol

tfs1
13-06-2015, 19:02
Thanks, my guess is that you'd also incur 2 booking fees rather than just the one?

Anyway, I don't care if it works or not, it's still a neat trick.....lol

no problem, sometimes its difficult to get over the detail without a whiteboard !

Administration booking fees were factored into the Ryanair price some time back for online bookings. Easyjet, for example, charge £13 per booking regardless of the number of people and bookings made.

Some people are happy to make 2 bookings, it can be a pain and if the savings are too small I probably wouldn't bother. As mentioned previously I did one for an internal one way flight and saved a few bob - better in my pocket than Ryanairs.

and spain/ tenerife etc internal flights dont need all the API stuff just DOB at the online checkin bit.