PDA

View Full Version : Television New to Tenerife (TV, Wi Fi)

Rugrat
14-06-2015, 09:30
First post so go easy!

Saw another thread on Broadband/Phone but didn't really answer

We've just purchased in Los Gigantes and will get the keys August. Our plan is to spend 5/6 months there and the remainder in UK.

We have a great mobile plan with 3 where all our calls from Tenerife will be free so I was thinking I might not need a landline and for wi fi get a mobile dongle and then a PAYG sim for any local incoming calls.

But then I'm not sure who I set up with to get UK TV. Not bothered by all the premium channels just BBC, ITV 4 and 5 would do

Nor do I really know too much about cost of dongles or any other alternative to fixed line and broadband

Any good advice appreciated, even if it is just 'go to a telco and get the best priced bundle'

Malteser Monkey
14-06-2015, 09:32
Sorry I can't help you but I would just like to :welcome: and best of luck with your new home !

Megaloo
14-06-2015, 09:58
Welcome to the Forum
I have had CSTI for my television for many years now and it works well most of the time, but if the weather is bad it does break up. But I am stuck with it as my internet speed is not fast enough for the system that works through that. Not sure who you would have to contact in Los Gigantes but here in the North it is Kubo that is the agent. WE pay 100Euros a year but of course you pay for the box and initial installation and I do not know how much that would be now as we have had ours a lot of years now

Rugrat
14-06-2015, 10:15
:welcome: from me to,are you from Brighton,thats my home town (lived here over 10 years now)
anyway hit the blue search button top left and you will get a wealth of info there,also I am sure
you will get a reply in the next 10 mins by a certain member of the forum that will "SELL" you
everything that you need.

Cheers will try that.

Yes from Brighton, moving to Seaford as part of the bigger plan with gets us Tenerife

Rugrat
16-06-2015, 05:44
hi rugrat
TELEFONICA (spanish BT) can offer
fixed phone+ADSL upto 20mb
for €42 a month - pm me
for more information

My question was centred around do I need a landline, rather than how much

I am only there 5 months and don't need to do anything more than a bit of browsing and basic UK tv

Rugrat
16-06-2015, 11:37
if you wish a FIXED ADSL service with no limits,then all the companies in the tourists areas are just TELEFONICA re-badged . there are not the people living all year for others to make it worth their while . plenty of shops selling all sorts of dongles,wifi and other magic beans,a subject others will be able to answer better then me,as i only deal with FIXED+ADSL lines at A POUND A DAY good luck

I thought I was pretty smart but I don't understand what you are saying. Are you trying to help me or are you trying to sell me something?

If anyone else is looking at this thread can they give me any information on where to look for best priced dongles and if they are economical for 5 months a year residence vs a 12 month a year fixed line commitment ?

I don't need magic beans just a piece of widely available technology, unless Tenerife is different, hence my enquiry

Malteser Monkey
16-06-2015, 11:51
Do they have pounds in Tenerife strange I thought it was Euros ?:D

Ecky Thump
16-06-2015, 12:32
I thought I was pretty smart but I don't understand what you are saying. Are you trying to help me or are you trying to sell me something?

If anyone else is looking at this thread can they give me any information on where to look for best priced dongles and if they are economical for 5 months a year residence vs a 12 month a year fixed line commitment ?

I don't need magic beans just a piece of widely available technology, unless Tenerife is different, hence my enquiry

I'm sorry that I can't offer you any advice on your Dongle purchase, but you have sussed out that TVs is trying to tout his business in your direction, you will see by his hundreds of demented posts that he is a desperate man.rolleyes2:

Rugrat
16-06-2015, 12:45
I'm sorry that I can't offer you any advice on your Dongle purchase, but you have sussed out that TVs is trying to tout his business in your direction, you will see by his hundreds of demented posts that he is a desperate man.rolleyes2:

Yes ... I'm (kind of) ok someone wanting to do business with me but I'm trying to get some answers to the opening question so I can make an informed decision.

Hey ho ... will try elsewhere for this one I think

Malteser Monkey
16-06-2015, 12:47
First post so go easy!

We've just purchased in Los Gigantes and will get the keys August. Our plan is to spend 5/6 months there and the remainder in UK.

We have a great mobile plan with 3 where all our calls from Tenerife will be free so I was thinking I might not need a landline and for wi fi get a mobile dongle and then a PAYG sim for any local incoming calls.

But then I'm not sure who I set up with to get UK TV. Not bothered by all the premium channels just BBC, ITV 4 and 5 would do

Nor do I really know too much about cost of dongles or any other alternative to fixed line and broadband

Any good advice appreciated, even if it is just 'go to a telco and get the best priced bundle'

JaBBa can you hrlp this man ?

Ecky Thump
16-06-2015, 12:57
Yes ... I'm (kind of) ok someone wanting to do business with me but I'm trying to get some answers to the opening question so I can make an informed decision.

Hey ho ... will try elsewhere for this one I think

Don't give up on this Forum, someone who is knowledgable about your needs will be along to help you, but it will not be someone whose only interest is to help you spend your money unwisely and supply you with misinformed information.:)

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

First post so go easy!

I've bumped your opening thread to enable people to see what your requirements are.

Rugrat
16-06-2015, 15:22
Get a dongle and try the 3 Feel at Home service. IIRC you have to convert tops to add ins to use it but it's explained on their website. I used my 3 dongle with a HITS sim last year before I got my landline. It was quite expensive, you need to keep a record of how much you have used and see if would be cheaper to go the landline and ADSL route which will be around £500 to £600 a year.

Ah OK ... have just converted to 3 (and feel at home) just took a look at their dongle options. They have a mifi option which looks like it could be just the ticket at £15/month which I can use anywhere - not too sure if 5GB is enough but think it will be

If that's the case just need to figure out TV and how I get that connected up

But then I'm bound to be missing something!!

information
16-06-2015, 15:30
Ah OK ... have just converted to 3 (and feel at home) just took a look at their dongle options. They have a mifi option which looks like it could be just the ticket at £15/month which I can use anywhere - not too sure if 5GB is enough but think it will be

If that's the case just need to figure out TV and how I get that connected up

But then I'm bound to be missing something!!

5gb is not a lot if watching TV. I think I read somewhere that Mennifix offers internet on a monthly basis but not sure how it would work. They also do TV packages.

Rugrat
16-06-2015, 16:46
5gb is not a lot if watching TV. I think I read somewhere that Mennifix offers internet on a monthly basis but not sure how it would work. They also do TV packages.

Agree ... goes back to my initial question. If I just want to watch the basic UK TV channels would I need to do that through an online box of some sort? If I did then I guess I come back to needing a landline and ADSL?

Rugrat
16-06-2015, 16:56
5Gb will disappear in no time. Especially if you have smartphones or computers that are set to automatically download updates. Don't even think about getting TV through the dongle your allowance will be gone in a couple of days.

OK thanks for that ... landline it is then ... at least I know where I won't be buying it from :)

i dont make that mistake coz i not got a POUND symbol on my laptops :laugh:
not my area but you cant watch TV on a limited dongle - it just kills off 30 days credit in about 3 days
seems you still thinking as a holiday maker - i get lots of ppl who spend daft amounts on this and that
then get FIJO+ADSL in the end ...

Listen fella I've spent my life in financial services not telecoms and have never lived abroad

If you want to try and help me and answer my questions and it ends up my buying something from you then fair enough ... that's what I call win/win

On the other hand you want to try and short cut the process and/or take cheap shots (holidaymaker) then go ahead if that makes you feel better, but I'm buying SFA from you

Bye

Medman
16-06-2015, 18:21
I suggest you just go down the pub to watch TV. Good excuse to get away from the missus for a bit .. :tv::cheers:

information
17-06-2015, 08:24
OK thanks for that ... landline it is then ... at least I know where I won't be buying it from :)

Listen fella I've spent my life in financial services not telecoms and have never lived abroad

If you want to try and help me and answer my questions and it ends up my buying something from you then fair enough ... that's what I call win/win

On the other hand you want to try and short cut the process and/or take cheap shots (holidaymaker) then go ahead if that makes you feel better, but I'm buying SFA from you

Bye

contact MENIFIX and see what deals they have.

TOTO 99
17-06-2015, 08:48
Another satisfied TVs customer in post #23 above...:laugh:

Malteser Monkey
17-06-2015, 10:33
Another satisfied TVs customer in post #23 above...:laugh:

But he's buying SFA that will only give him BBC and ITV for a pound a day:whistle::laugh:

JaBBa
17-06-2015, 14:36
Hi Rugrat,

In my opinion CSTI is probably the cheapest option if you don't want to go the internet route, but if you want basic tv & internet as a package one of the big companies ( Europa, DT Media ) here will do you a good deal, only real downfall is sometimes there internet speeds can be up & down in certain areas, if your looking into separate internet deal MiFi can be expensive but will have very good speeds & unlimited downloads through 4g, for separate tv packages including my own offer full uk channels and alot more on a monthly bias, there are a few to choose from, other option is a android box ( internet needed ) for a one off payment , which can vary in cost, usually amazon or ebay the cheapest, these will show freeview & premium channels plus all 3pm football & latest movies, but sometimes picture quality on tv channels can suffer...hope this has shed some more light on your question, good luck

TOTO 99
17-06-2015, 14:39
Further to the last from JaBBa...:tiphat:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/J-Bonest%C2%AE-Wireless-Preloaded-Worldwide-Streaming/dp/B00X3TA5KU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434545363&sr=8-1&keywords=Quad+Core+MBOX+1080p

Ecky Thump
17-06-2015, 16:33
He must have a customer.......

:crylaughing::crylaughing:
:crylaughing:

TOTO 99
17-06-2015, 16:43
He must have a customer.......

Steady on.........

marbro8
17-06-2015, 18:06
He must have a customer.......it must be trigger from only fools and horses then:laugh:

Margaretta
17-06-2015, 20:22
If you are new to the area do ask the people around you what they are using. Whatever you do, don't bother with the Dongle. We bought one locally years ago but it was virtually useless for up the hill where we have our apartment. No-one had explained to us that the money we paid was not for the month but it was used up within five days of sporadic evening usage: on tiptoes on the balcony, under a spare bed, above the fridge etc. Very expensive and rare reception. We still have the thing somewhere and as it is registered to us I don't know if it is any use to anyone. Many people on our complex have different systems if they live there but there isn't really a satisfactory and reasonably priced system for those of us who come and go, just want to pay for when we are in Tenerife and don't need the landline.

Rugrat
18-06-2015, 08:00
Hi Rugrat,

In my opinion CSTI is probably the cheapest option if you don't want to go the internet route, but if you want basic tv & internet as a package one of the big companies ( Europa, DT Media ) here will do you a good deal, only real downfall is sometimes there internet speeds can be up & down in certain areas, if your looking into separate internet deal MiFi can be expensive but will have very good speeds & unlimited downloads through 4g, for separate tv packages including my own offer full uk channels and alot more on a monthly bias, there are a few to choose from, other option is a android box ( internet needed ) for a one off payment , which can vary in cost, usually amazon or ebay the cheapest, these will show freeview & premium channels plus all 3pm football & latest movies, but sometimes picture quality on tv channels can suffer...hope this has shed some more light on your question, good luck

Cheers .. I get the feeling the costs for a standard set up (Landline/ADSL/TV Box) are fairly consistent and trying to save a few bob here or there might be more trouble than it's worth. Have been put on to DT and their offer looks OK so will go with that for now

When I get there and settled I'll poke around a bit more

Cheers ... and to everyone (well most!) for the advice

Ecky Thump
18-06-2015, 11:32
Cheers .. I get the feeling the costs for a standard set up (Landline/ADSL/TV Box) are fairly consistent and trying to save a few bob here or there might be more trouble than it's worth. Have been put on to DT and their offer looks OK so will go with that for now

I've noticed that they are a buisness that don't take cheap shots at their competitors, ...their work ethics appear to be honest and upfront.
Well done on your choice.:c2:

Megaloo
18-06-2015, 11:57

I have many friends that have this service and are extremely satisfied with both the reception and service they receive from the business also I believe there are a number of people on this Forum that have it.

If I had a better internet speed I may have done the same

Ecky Thump
18-06-2015, 12:07
I have many friends that have this service and are extremely satisfied with both the reception and service they receive from the business also I believe there are a number of people on this Forum that have it.

If I had a better internet speed I may have done the same

It's good that other people are recommending the company and their performance, it will help Rugrat know that he made the right choice.:)

TOTO 99
18-06-2015, 21:10
thank you from SCOTLAND .... im sure their work ethics (9-5 5 days) will be a great help if you ring with a problem on the weekend when nice muzak will inform you in a nice and honest way that there is no one to take your call - these is also their úpfront´ costs which i dont charge

IN NOT MARRYING YOUR DAUGHTER -if you want empty words+smiles good luck - i dont do uriah heep and intercontiental advice - I LIVE IN TENERIFE - 95% of those nice people with their nice manners and nice smiles who came here to work are standing in the rain in dudley job centre

MEGALOO why do you not change to DT ???
they in your own words are better, and offer 8mb and free UK tv on a computer (like zktv.so)
so why do you not change to this wonderful service ???
why ´´If I had a better internet speed I may have done the same ´´
i know the answer and i suspect so do you ...
and if i lived in your building i would have had 4-6mb years ago - you cant blame
anyone else for your own inaction in getting it sorted ...

that other people are recommending the company - NEITHER OF YOU HAVE THE SERVICE !!!! one of you lives in SCOTLAND and know less about this service then a kebab shop in glasgow ,and the other dont have it - because he says he has low speed - but they offer 8mb ??? why not take the service and get 8mb ???? THEN you can talk the talk ... otherwise its just HERESAY

It would appear that no matter how hard you [B]SHOUT USING CAPITAL LETTERS WHICH WAS FORBIDDEN WHEN I JOINED THE FORUM MANY YEARS AGO....[B][......ahem...sorry, clears throat, that nobody is interested in you, your product, your constant abuse of anyone that doesn't agree with you or your product.....Dead Orse..Losing Battle.....how many does it take to get into your thick skull that nobody wants what you're trying to force upon them?

You love so much to abuse anyone who doesn't live in Tenerife as if you're part of an elite group..???

We have a choice... we jet in and out whenever we want to..Unlike you, trapped like a lab rat unable to make a single sale across your thousands of posts on here...not one.....Show me a post out of all the ones you keep desperately lighting up where anyone took you up on your offer?

Hahahahahahaa...:tiphat:

TOTO 99
18-06-2015, 22:15
keep your wig on ....
who made you TV POLICE in TENERIFE .i dont walk around the streets of LIVERPOOL where you live 50 weeks of the year going on about the price of bread at my local tescos - you never post anything worth reading its just tacky bar humour / short trouser schoolboy jokes . this forum is haunted by a small bunch of i want to / I used to live in tenerife . i dont night in night out post meaningless post in areas i lived 20 or 30 years ago ...why would i be bothered ??... saying ex-pats who are here are ´lab rats´ just show who you really are ...
if you want to come to tenerife as a tourist - fine - thats who the spanish want here the most to spend all their money
but otherwise just let the people WHO HAVE HAD THE GUTS TO MOVE HERE get on with their lives without walter mitty clones banging on about zero

I didn't call anyone a lab rat except you....yes you....hhahahahahaha...Trapped...........:laugh:

Megaloo
18-06-2015, 22:32
thank you from SCOTLAND .... im sure their work ethics (9-5 5 days) will be a great help if you ring with a problem on the weekend when nice muzak will inform you in a nice and honest way that there is no one to take your call - these is also their úpfront´ costs which i dont charge

IN NOT MARRYING YOUR DAUGHTER -if you want empty words+smiles good luck - i dont do uriah heep and intercontiental advice - I LIVE IN TENERIFE - 95% of those nice people with their nice manners and nice smiles who came here to work are standing in the rain in dudley job centre

MEGALOO why do you not change to DT ???
they in your own words are better, and offer 8mb and free UK tv on a computer (like zktv.so)
so why do you not change to this wonderful service ???
why ´´If I had a better internet speed I may have done the same ´´
i know the answer and i suspect so do you ...
and if i lived in your building i would have had 4-6mb years ago - you cant blame
anyone else for your own inaction in getting it sorted ...

that other people are recommending the company - NEITHER OF YOU HAVE THE SERVICE !!!! one of you lives in SCOTLAND and know less about this service then a kebab shop in glasgow ,and the other dont have it - because he says he has low speed - but they offer 8mb ??? why not take the service and get 8mb ???? THEN you can talk the talk ... otherwise its just HERESAY

Tv's if you read my post I said I may have gone to DT but I have a BBC system so no need to change from what I already have
I certainly would not change just to get faster internet