PDA

View Full Version : Other holidays of yesteryear

marbro8
19-06-2015, 22:58
after posting on the tenerife holiday thread, i thought it would be a great idea to post memories of members holidays past, i know i have some absolute brahmas and i will post later, so if you want to share your experiences of hols past then here you go;)

Carol55
19-06-2015, 23:10
1968 Eric borrowed his boss's car for our first real holiday, it was a Humber Super Snipe and we felt like royalty driving around Devon and Cornwall, we stopped in different small B&B's every night, for cash we filled up the car with petrol, about £5 worth, gave the owner a check for £10 and asked for the other £5 in change...no check guarantee cards then. After two weeks when we got home, we received a letter from our bank manager to visit him, we got a right telling off for going overdrawn and he threatened to take our check book off us....young and stupid, now Eric is old and even more stupid. :love:

marbro8
19-06-2015, 23:22
1968 Eric borrowed his boss's car for our first real holiday, it was a Humber Super Snipe and we felt like royalty driving around Devon and Cornwall, we stopped in different small B&B's every night, for cash we filled up the car with petrol, about £5 worth, gave the owner a check for £10 and asked for the other £5 in change...no check guarantee cards then. After two weeks when we got home, we received a letter from our bank manager to visit him, we got a right telling off for going overdrawn and he threatened to take our check book off us....young and stupid, now Eric is old and even more stupid. :love::lol: i am actually in tears of laughter as i am relaying that to san:lol: great memory;)

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

one of my earliest memories of holidays with my family was borth. we were never a wealthy family, but my parents managed to get a cheap deal to clarach bay,as we drove into the camp site we noticed a small beat up caravan that wouldn't have looked out of place in a scrap yard, we were all laughing and making jokes about it as we drove around trying to find the mayflower, the name of the caravan we had rented, we drove around for about an hour but just couldn't find it?, and yes you have guest it, it was the scrap heap we had passed as we came in, my mother spent the whole week scrubbing and cleaning it just to make it livable, we spent the first night in the car:laugh:

blondie
20-06-2015, 16:39
I had a Polish father who had ideas like no one else on this earth Our treat for our holidays was a day at Dumfries . Wait for the Polish bit .....there were 5 kids in the family and it was too expensive to take every body at once so he took 3 one day and 2 the next !!!!

information
20-06-2015, 17:18
CO-OP camp Rhyl late 60's early 70's. We could never work out if the barbed wire was to keep people out or us in :laugh: For all the times we knocked the place it still holds the happiest times for us growing up. Just thinking about it still makes me smile. I wonder what became of the place?

TOTO 99
20-06-2015, 18:49
Conwy...in those days it was called Conway and that's where we went....every year for about 100 years..lol

Whenever I'm working over that way I try to pass and have a look at the caravan park which is still there incredibly. It's less than an hour from Warrington but in those days it took us nearly all day..hahaha..and we used to stop half way there for a break and my dad got the primus stove out and made a brew...:laugh:

We had a Ford Consul, which was a big car, and it had a bench front seat which ran across the full width of the car. There'd be 3 of us on the front including my dad and if our kid wanted to drive part of the way, the seat needed to be moved forward, so we all had to do it at the same time...lol

information
20-06-2015, 19:09
We had a Ford Consul, which was a big car, and it had a bench front seat which ran across the full width of the car. There'd be 3 of us on the front including my dad and if our kid wanted to drive part of the way, the seat needed to be moved forward, so we all had to do it at the same time...lol

:laugh::laugh::laugh:My dear dad had the same car. We Used to carry 8 of us in it :laugh::laugh:

warbey
20-06-2015, 20:24
CO-OP camp Rhyl late 60's early 70's. We could never work out if the barbed wire was to keep people out or us in :laugh: For all the times we knocked the place it still holds the happiest times for us growing up. Just thinking about it still makes me smile. I wonder what became of the place?

I could have a look sometime if You can describe where it was accurately.

It will be a while before I am down there though.

Does Towyn ring any bells..?

Tshirt
20-06-2015, 20:30
My Dad never ever took a holiday, he just never took a day off work, so we didn't get holidays but as a kid living in the country there was always something to do, fishing and swimming in the local river, scrumping etc. I think I was 15 before I saw the sea. Then I joined up so any leave was back at home. One Whitsun weekend in Germany back in 1965 I think it was, 6 of us managed to persuade the powers to be that we'd like to spend 5 days hiking and we'd need a Land Rover, Tent, and supplies etc. Having got the OK we just drove straight to a German camp site on the banks of the Edersee carefully selected as it had a pub on site. Got there and pitched our green army tent getting funny looks from Germans. They soon came round to us and by the last night there we were all sat round a fire together passing the Schnapps around.

I've had cars with bench seats, first one was a 1960 Vauxhall Victor with a three speed gearbox column change, second one was a 1963 Ford Zephyr V6 automatic, drove like a tank, loved it.

warbey
20-06-2015, 20:34
We bought a Tent then looked for a Destination. We ended up opn the outskirts of Barmouth.

The Owner used to wear Blue suede shoes. We pitched next to a Family from Bootle who

had Kids of similar ages They made us a brew whilst We were getting the tent up and We used to go for a few scoops each Evening all Together.

After about 5 Days it started with Heavy rain........Holiday over..

Following Year We too went to a site at Conway with a beautiful new super 6 Berth frame tent..
I pitched by a Caravan with Awning and against a wall for shelter.
Night 3. A force 10 gale. We survived but more than one tent was blown away.

We decided to convert to a Caravan.!!

Our Car was a 1500 Maxi. I loved that Car..

Tshirt
20-06-2015, 22:10
Used to go camping on Shell island between Barmouth and Harlech. Many a time on arrival late on a Friday night the tide would be in so you couldn't get across the causeway. Had to sleep in the car 'til the tide went out.

Malteser Monkey
20-06-2015, 22:59
Conwy...in those days it was called Conway and that's where we went....every year for about 100 years..lol

Whenever I'm working over that way I try to pass and have a look at the caravan park which is still there incredibly. It's less than an hour from Warrington but in those days it took us nearly all day..hahaha..and we used to stop half way there for a break and my dad got the primus stove out and made a brew...:laugh:

The one by the railway ? Just off the A55 ?

TOTO 99
21-06-2015, 07:47
The one by the railway ? Just off the A55 ?

Bryn Morfa on the old main road.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Bryn+Morfa+Holiday+Park/@53.2872296,-3.8520728,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x69645b1b527bace0

information
21-06-2015, 09:40
I could have a look sometime if You can describe where it was accurately.

It will be a while before I am down there though.

Does Towyn ring any bells..?

it was next to a place called Golden sands which I believe is still there. Looking at Google maps it looks like the old CO-OP is now a housing estate.

Talking to my sister about it last night, as there used to be 8 in our car but the chalet was only a 6 berth, two of us had to get out before the gate and walk 1/2 a mile so the security guard never knew we had too many :laugh:

Malteser Monkey
21-06-2015, 11:17
Bryn Morfa on the old main road.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Bryn+Morfa+Holiday+Park/@53.2872296,-3.8520728,16z/data=!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x69645b1b527bace0

pass it every working day mate

marbro8
21-06-2015, 12:53
we used to have an old ford popular were the indicators used to flick out at the side:laugh: then we upgraded to a two tone humber septre, a lovely car, and then an old bedford caravanette, which set the tone for all our holidays to come, with me and my sister sleeping in the pop up roof. we used to go to a place called argae hall near welshpool, my mom and dad would leave me there and travel onto aberystwyth, i got myself a job working behind the bar to fund my drinking(although i drank more than i poured):laugh:. we went there nearly every weekend in my teens, i loved it so much that i used to take all my mates there when i was old enough to drive, sometimes there would be about 14 of us, we would start our pub crawl in welshpool then berriew and finish at the nags head just over the road from the campsite, happy days:spin:

Sundowner
21-06-2015, 14:25
Our holidays were normally a day out in Wales! We once pushed the boat out and went camping in loggerheads.....it rained for 48 hours straight so we gave up and went home:crying2:
Funny enough I was up there last week, my sister had come over from oz to see our mum so I went up with my wife for a few days.
We decided to visit some of the places we used to go back in the 60s. We drove along the coast to Conway and then onto betws_y_coed and then onto Llangollen before returning home via the horseshoe pass and a cup of tea at the ponderosa!

We always turn left at Conway since I found out there are chocolate eating killer apes in the mountains further on:hide:m

TOTO 99
21-06-2015, 14:33
Our holidays were normally a day out in Wales! We once pushed the boat out and went camping in loggerheads.....it rained for 48 hours straight so we gave up and went home:crying2:
Funny enough I was up there last week, my sister had come over from oz to see our mum so I went up with my wife for a few days.
We decided to visit some of the places we used to go back in the 60s. We drove along the coast to Conway and then onto betws_y_coed and then onto Llangollen before returning home via the horseshoe pass and a cup of tea at the ponderosa!

We always turn left at Conway since I found out there are chocolate eating killer apes in the mountains further on:hide:m

More like Man Eating......:laugh:

Ecky Thump
21-06-2015, 14:45
:
Living with Carol life has been one long holiday!!.:devil2:

Malteser Monkey
21-06-2015, 15:50

:crylaughing::crylaughing:

It took a mo to realise what you were on about :whistle:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

More like Man Eating......:laugh:

I just don't understand where comments like this come from :dontknow:

Ecky Thump
21-06-2015, 16:38

I just don't understand where comments like this come from :dontknow:

From a fertile man!;)

Malteser Monkey
21-06-2015, 16:46
From a fertile man!;)

are there any other kind ? :D

Ecky Thump
21-06-2015, 17:16
are there any other kind ? :D

Elton John.....;)

Malteser Monkey
21-06-2015, 18:58
Elton John.....;)

:crylaughing:

TOTO 99
21-06-2015, 20:32
Elton John.....;)

The only bloke who's had more men than MM.......:laugh:

Malteser Monkey
21-06-2015, 20:42
The only bloke who's had more men than MM.......:laugh:

You are one cheeky f oh what time is it ? Wine time

I will have my revenge :devil2:

Anne 2009
21-06-2015, 21:33
we used to have an old ford popular were the indicators used to flick out at the side:laugh: then we upgraded to a two tone humber septre, a lovely car, and then an old bedford caravanette, which set the tone for all our holidays to come, with me and my sister sleeping in the pop up roof. we used to go to a place called argae hall near welshpool, my mom and dad would leave me there and travel onto aberystwyth, i got myself a job working behind the bar to fund my drinking(although i drank more than i poured):laugh:. we went there nearly every weekend in my teens, i loved it so much that i used to take all my mates there when i was old enough to drive, sometimes there would be about 14 of us, we would start our pub crawl in welshpool then berriew and finish at the nags head just over the road from the campsite, happy days:spin:

My dad had one of those old ford populars. I remember it was bright yellow. We used to go all over in it.

warbey
22-06-2015, 19:51

Many Years ago, most city kids had a free Holiday.

They were called evacuees.

All Im managed was a few months at my Aunt's in the Isle of Man...