PDA

View Full Version : Standby flights at TFS

cheeky12
23-06-2015, 17:07
Hi All

This question has probably been answered before so apologies in advance if it has, can or has anyone ever done and got standby tickets back to UK from TFS airport? If so, how much did you pay and whats the chances of getting 2 seats on a flight to EMA in July this year ? TIA :wave:

Carol55
23-06-2015, 17:13
Hi All

This question has probably been answered before so apologies in advance if it has, can or has anyone ever done and got standby tickets back to UK from TFS airport? If so, how much did you pay and whats the chances of getting 2 seats on a flight to EMA in July this year ? TIA :wave:

From "Money SavingExpert.com .....

Does anyone know if any of the budget airlines - Ryanair, Thompson, Jet2 or Easyjet - do good deals for stand by. We've now bought a house in Spain and plan to visit as often as possible - so cheapest flight options needed. We live in Scotland and the property is in Costa Blanca. If they do how do you go about booking stand by tickets?
by ms_newbie

”Standby tickets are a thing of the past within Europe unless on staff travel. The ethos behind lo-cost carriers is that prices will rise along with demand and generally the nearer to departure date you get, the more expensive the seat will be. In the US though, it's common practice. Your best bet is to book as far in advance as you possibly can and by registering for e-mail alerts from the various airlines, you will receive notification of any particular offers they have at that time or will be having in the future.

cheeky12
23-06-2015, 17:15
From "Money SavingExpert.com .....

Does anyone know if any of the budget airlines - Ryanair, Globespan, Air Scotland, Jet2 or Easyjet - do good deals for stand by. We've now bought a house in Spain and plan to visit as often as possible - so cheapest flight options needed. We live in Scotland and the property is in Costa Blanca. If they do how do you go about booking stand by tickets?
by ms_newbie

”Standby tickets are a thing of the past within Europe unless on staff travel. The ethos behind lo-cost carriers is that prices will rise along with demand and generally the nearer to departure date you get, the more expensive the seat will be. In the US though, it's common practice. Your best bet is to book as far in advance as you possibly can and by registering for e-mail alerts from the various airlines, you will receive notification of any particular offers they have at that time or will be having in the future.

Thanks for response, thought as much was just interested to see if anyone had done it and what price they paid for tixs :)

imablue
23-06-2015, 22:09
Paid 25 pound one way TFS to Liverpool via Stansted years ago. Globespan.
You would be very lucky to get a bus ride round the island for that now ....:hello:

TOTO 99
24-06-2015, 07:06
Paid 25 pound one way TFS to Liverpool via Stansted years ago. Globespan.
You would be very lucky to get a bus ride round the island for that now ....:hello:

I've still never worked out why they went bust......:lol:

Carol55
24-06-2015, 08:00
I've still never worked out why they went bust......:lol:

My daughter in law was working for them at the time that they ceased trading, Globespan had just ventured into the transatlantic flights market and had paid out vast amounts of money on licences, UK airport dues, aircraft hire & future orders of them, then came along the handling company that were controlling their money thad had been paid by credit card payments from customers and refused to release Globespan's money.
In short, they were a buoyant company who were screwed with none of their money being available to pay their suppliers. A shame, as they were a great company to fly with.

Plus the fact, we got free drinks on board! :D

TOTO 99
24-06-2015, 08:07
My daughter in law was working for them at the time that they ceased trading, Globespan had just ventured into the transatlantic flights market and had paid out vast amounts of money on licences, UK airport dues, aircraft hire & future orders of them, then came along the handling company that were controlling their money thad had been paid by credit card payments from customers and refused to release Globespan's money.
In short, they were a buoyant company who were screwed with none of their money being available to pay their suppliers. A shame, as they were a great company to fly with.

Plus the fact, we got free drinks on board! :D

That last bit has answered my question....:lol:

barryk
24-06-2015, 08:16
Its always worth a look at at Thomas Cook and Thomson for last minute flights, especially in the winter (summer no chance). I have seen some of these prices drop below 50gbp at the last minute. Useful if you have missed out booking in advance with low cost airlines

ribuck
24-06-2015, 12:06
There was an academic a while back who decoded EasyJet's pricing algorithm by making hundreds of different flight searches each day for about a year.

He found that for every extra seat booked on a flight, the price of a seat went up by about £2.50. However, as it got closer to the day of the flight, the price per seat went down by some amount (can't remember how much).

The result was that popular flights became very expensive as they started to fill up. But if no-one was booking on that flight, the prices would gradually reduce towards the date of the flight.

That's how the budget airlines manage to get every flight fairly full. So different from the days when fares were regulated, and you sometimes flew on a half-empty plane. Once in the early 1980s I was on a Boeing 727 with only 8 passengers on board (not going to Tenerife of course). The ticket was expensive though.

Ecky Thump
24-06-2015, 16:20
That last bit has answered my question....:lol:

Carol55 is telling very large porkies, there was NO "We got free drinks", as the stewardess brought them to us Carol forgot to pass me mine, and the result was she was .....:drunk2: and I was :crying2: