PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Considering long term renting

Anne 2009
28-06-2015, 14:44
I am seriously considering coming over with a view to long term renting. I will be keeping my house in england so if things dont work out i will have somewhere to come back to. I have been holidaying in tenerife for the last 8/9 years but only round las americas/los cristianos. Ideally i would love to rent in those areas but i know the properties will be expensive so i am looking for areas about 20/30 mins away which hopefully will be cheaper to rent. I would like an area where there are ex pats initially. Dont mind if its on a complex or not. Just trying to gather as much info together as i can. Dont want to get ripped off by unscrupilous agent demanding large fees. So i am calling on the expertise of the forum to recommend areas worth considering, any property agents you could recommend,and a rough guide to prices. I would be gratefull for any advice.

candy2411
29-06-2015, 11:46
Good idea to keep house in England I would say and good luck in finding a suitable rental property. Advantage is you've no long term commitment so if an area doesn't suit then you can move after the contract period. Prices are going to vary tremendously, best to have a trip over and explore. If you don't want pay agent fees then maybe search local papers or visit the community office of any complex you like the look of. Regarding the area you choose, well there are obviously lots of expats in and around the Golf areas and Costa del Silencio. If you don't drive then would think it important you're close to a busy bus route. Let us know how you get on:goodluck:

Anne 2009
29-06-2015, 14:48
Good idea to keep house in England I would say and good luck in finding a suitable rental property. Advantage is you've no long term commitment so if an area doesn't suit then you can move after the contract period. Prices are going to vary tremendously, best to have a trip over and explore. If you don't want pay agent fees then maybe search local papers or visit the community office of any complex you like the look of. Regarding the area you choose, well there are obviously lots of expats in and around the Golf areas and Costa del Silencio. If you don't drive then would think it important you're close to a busy bus route. Let us know how you get on:goodluck:

Hi Candy im going over in september for 2 weeks so will visit different areas to get a feel of them. And there is a couple of people i know who live in tenerife who hopefully can give me some advice aswell. Many thanks for the reply.

Susief23
29-06-2015, 17:43
Hi Candy im going over in september for 2 weeks so will visit different areas to get a feel of them. And there is a couple of people i know who live in tenerife who hopefully can give me some advice aswell. Many thanks for the reply.

I think it depends how much you want to pay a month and what the area offers. Costa del Silencio and Las Galletas are nice areas. We tend to spend quite a bit of time in both as our campsite only a 5 min drive from both. You'll pay a lot more for places like Los Cris and Costa Adeje.
It's best to do research and ask locals.

Anne 2009
29-06-2015, 18:25
Hi Susie, ideally i would like somewhere that has a good bus service and is about 30 mins max from las americas/cristianos. Me and my hubby both have driving licence but the way people drive over there scares the hell out of me. When i go on holiday i cant wait for the taxi to arrive at the apartment,lol. Price wise for rental prob up to 450e per month. Ive just had a look on one website,idealista and noticed they give a monthly rental price and then it says ...make a counter offer. Does that mean you can offer a lower price?

Susief23
29-06-2015, 18:44
Not sure how that works but €450 is enough for a one bed apartment out of the tourist areas.
I drive occasionally in Tenerife and first 10 mins scare me but soon start relaxing. No worse than anywhere else.
Keep us updated on your journey.

Anne 2009
29-06-2015, 18:56
Not sure how that works but €450 is enough for a one bed apartment out of the tourist areas.
I drive occasionally in Tenerife and first 10 mins scare me but soon start relaxing. No worse than anywhere else.
Keep us updated on your journey.

Thanks susie, ive also asked my work for a forecast on taking early retirement,just waiting for them to get back to me. Although i wont be just dependant of that. Trying to cram in as much info as i can.

Susief23
29-06-2015, 19:25
Thanks susie, ive also asked my work for a forecast on taking early retirement,just waiting for them to get back to me. Although i wont be just dependant of that. Trying to cram in as much info as i can.

Best to do your homework. I wish you well. Wish I could do it. We have our caravan on Camping Nauta.

bennoa1
01-07-2015, 12:34
I'd search letting agents before you go and see what prices are on offer and for where so you have a good idea on what is available. I'd then arrange to see a couple so you have an idea of what to expect for your money. We rent long term but in 6 month blocks and our charge includes €50/month for bills so ask if any bills are included and who pays the agent fees (if you go down that route). You'll also likely need to leave a deposit, maybe 1-2 months so bear that in mind.

Anne 2009
01-07-2015, 15:17
I'd search letting agents before you go and see what prices are on offer and for where so you have a good idea on what is available. I'd then arrange to see a couple so you have an idea of what to expect for your money. We rent long term but in 6 month blocks and our charge includes €50/month for bills so ask if any bills are included and who pays the agent fees (if you go down that route). You'll also likely need to leave a deposit, maybe 1-2 months so bear that in mind.

Thanks for that info bennoa

marbro8
01-07-2015, 18:58
Thanks for that info bennoawe have also thought about long term rental when we retire. and have spoken to lots of different people over the last 10 years of us visiting tenerife, and the monthly rental varies quite a bit. for instance, we met a couple that were renting on el mirador for 6 months, and they were paying about €550 a month. when we met up with them again a couple of years later, they had moved to the one next to the los cris bus station, think it is the san marinio? and they were paying about €450 a month.we also know that richard and carley that own R&B'S used to rent on granada park, just up next to the villa mandy, and i think that was about €550 a month. all those prices seem to include all the bills as well. so it really is worth thinking about, because you are not front line but still only 15 mins walk from everything.it might pay you to post a wanted ad on here to see if any members have anything in and around los cris and las americas for long let:)

Anne 2009
01-07-2015, 19:13
we have also thought about long term rental when we retire. and have spoken to lots of different people over the last 10 years of us visiting tenerife, and the monthly rental varies quite a bit. for instance, we met a couple that were renting on el mirador for 6 months, and they were paying about €550 a month. when we met up with them again a couple of years later, they had moved to the one next to the los cris bus station, think it is the san marinio? and they were paying about €450 a month.we also know that richard and carley that own R&B'S used to rent on granada park, just up next to the villa mandy, and i think that was about €550 a month. all those prices seem to include all the bills as well. so it really is worth thinking about, because you are not front line but still only 15 mins walk from everything.it might pay you to post a wanted ad on here to see if any members have anything in and around los cris and las americas for long let:)

Thanks for that marlbro.Ive looked on a few web sites and the prices i saw on some started from 280 euros up to 1000 a month so a good selection of prices to suit everyones budget. Lots of different areas that i dont know anything about or even where they are lol. I think for me i would like to start off in a area i was familiar with like some of the places you have mentioned. Then take a look at other areas to get the feel of them.

Anne 2009
26-07-2015, 15:16
Well i have recieved a quote on my pension to take early retirement. But before i had chance to do anything about it, some of us have been told are jobs are at risk of redundancy. Well that really doesnt bother me as i was hoping to retire early. So heres hoping they do and that will give me some more to add to my tenerife pot. :jumping:

marbro8
26-07-2015, 15:56
Well i have recieved a quote on my pension to take early retirement. But before i had chance to do anything about it, some of us have been told are jobs are at risk of redundancy. Well that really doesnt bother me as i was hoping to retire early. So heres hoping they do and that will give me some more to add to my tenerife pot. :jumping:good luck to ya;), if you get made redundant i think you get your full pension without any reductions?. if i take mine next year i lose 40% of my lump sum and about 45% of my yearly pay:(

Anne 2009
26-07-2015, 16:05
good luck to ya;), if you get made redundant i think you get your full pension without any reductions?. if i take mine next year i lose 40% of my lump sum and about 45% of my yearly pay:(

Thats some good info marbro, i,ll look in to it. Certainly not worth taking yours yet, not if you stand to lose that much.

melm
26-07-2015, 16:09
Thats some good info marbro, i,ll look in to it. Certainly not worth taking yours yet, not if you stand to lose that much.

Unless the rules have changed think this information may be wrong. In my case I was made redundant way before my retirement age and lost a huge part of my pension. If you work for a local authority or a government department you might be OK. Good luck.

Anne 2009
26-07-2015, 16:27
Unless the rules have changed this information is wrong. In my case I was made redundant way before my retirement age and lost a huge part of my pension. If you work for a local authority or a government department you might be OK. Good luck

Ive got 2 pensions with the company i work with. one is a final salary pension. But the company ended that one a year ago so its frozen now. So i doubt i will lose any of that one and the other one they put us in has only been going approx 18 months i think i can get all that back.

melm
26-07-2015, 16:30
Ive got 2 pensions with the company i work with. one is a final salary pension. But the company ended that one a year ago so its frozen now. So i doubt i will lose any of that one and the other one they put us in has only been going approx 18 months i think i can get all that back.

Sounds good. Hope it all works out for you:goodluck:

Stoney
26-07-2015, 18:51
Wish you luck with your plans but please don't rush into it, if you have stayed there ok, but if not, you must try to get a weeks holiday there before you think about taking up a 6 month rental. But don't do anything you would normally do on holiday, just do as you would at home. Check out on the internet what the weather is like in the winter months, because its not always the 70 degrees you get in Los Cris or PDLA, especially when you move inland and further up the coast, we love El Medano but it does get very windy and the nights can be chilly. If you don't speak spanish visit some of the english bars/restaurants in the area and tell the older members of staff what you are thinking of doing, they will all have valid points to make and often know of places to rent.

Anne 2009
26-07-2015, 23:05
Wish you luck with your plans but please don't rush into it, if you have stayed there ok, but if not, you must try to get a weeks holiday there before you think about taking up a 6 month rental. But don't do anything you would normally do on holiday, just do as you would at home. Check out on the internet what the weather is like in the winter months, because its not always the 70 degrees you get in Los Cris or PDLA, especially when you move inland and further up the coast, we love El Medano but it does get very windy and the nights can be chilly. If you don't speak spanish visit some of the english bars/restaurants in the area and tell the older members of staff what you are thinking of doing, they will all have valid points to make and often know of places to rent.

Hi Stoney, i have been holidaying there for the last 8 years so i know a bit about it but still lots to learn. Im always glad of any info off the forum to point me in the right direction. :)

eprocent
22-08-2015, 01:11
Wich Is the medium price of 2 beds ap in Los Cristianos?
Thanks!