PDA

View Full Version : Television Did the sky fall in?

information
02-07-2015, 13:14
well it seems like the 'TV expert' was just blowing smoke again:lol:

From Sky in Madrid;

NEW ASTRA 2G FULLY IN SERVICE, NOT MANY NOTICE
The much-anticipated arrival of the new UK satellite Astra 2G appears to have been something of a non-event. The BBC was first to announce that some of its channels had switched to Astra 2G, but as the footprints of the three satellites now in use are so similar, hardly anyone noticed. The final switch-off of Eutelsat's 28A is reported to have been carried out last night.
A number of free to air channels from the BBC and ITV have been transferred in the past two weeks.
Reports from around Europe are thin on the ground, but it looks as though BBC and ITV are slightly weaker in Norway, Denmark and Sweden and have been lost altogether in Slovakia and Czech Republic. There seems to be a pocket of poor reception of BBC HD channels in the Torrevieja area of Spain. It's not known why. It has been suggested that there are a large number of poorly-installed dishes in this part of Murcia.
In south-eastern Germany, BBC signals have returned after more than a year, and the area of very poor reception appears to have moved west slightly.
In all areas, the Europe-wide beam of Astra 2G is very strong, except in the British Isles, where it is weaker than its 2E or 2F equivalent.
Some final switching of frequencies is due to happen this week. No major channels were moved to the UK-only beam, to the relief of many expat viewers.

essexeddie
02-07-2015, 15:26
Every time we pop over to Tenerife there seems to be a TV satellite that's being switched off for some reason. Why do they keep messing with the channels. Glad I hardly watch TV.

Ecky Thump
02-07-2015, 15:40
Every time we pop over to Tenerife there seems to be a TV satellite that's being switched off for some reason. Why do they keep messing with the channels. Glad I hardly watch TV.

It's to confuse TVs and his chums! :D

When we are there, we turn on the TV to watch the news and then have a drink to overcome the depression that follows.:wink:

essexeddie
02-07-2015, 15:43

When we are there, we turn on the TV to watch the news and then have a drink to overcome the depression that follows.:wink:

That's all I ever watch tbh.

LUCKY
02-07-2015, 18:20

I have never watched the News , i now know i will not overcome the depression ,The Waterfall have just recently put the beer up from 1 euro 50 cents to ................................................. 2 euro :flatcap::feret::feret::feret::feret:

warbey
02-07-2015, 20:39
well it seems like the 'TV expert' was just blowing smoke again:lol:

From Sky in Madrid;

NEW ASTRA 2G FULLY IN SERVICE, NOT MANY NOTICE
The much-anticipated arrival of the new UK satellite Astra 2G appears to have been something of a non-event. The BBC was first to announce that some of its channels had switched to Astra 2G, but as the footprints of the three satellites now in use are so similar, hardly anyone noticed. The final switch-off of Eutelsat's 28A is reported to have been carried out last night.
A number of free to air channels from the BBC and ITV have been transferred in the past two weeks.
Reports from around Europe are thin on the ground, but it looks as though BBC and ITV are slightly weaker in Norway, Denmark and Sweden and have been lost altogether in Slovakia and Czech Republic. There seems to be a pocket of poor reception of BBC HD channels in the Torrevieja area of Spain. It's not known why. It has been suggested that there are a large number of poorly-installed dishes in this part of Murcia.
In south-eastern Germany, BBC signals have returned after more than a year, and the area of very poor reception appears to have moved west slightly.
In all areas, the Europe-wide beam of Astra 2G is very strong, except in the British Isles, where it is weaker than its 2E or 2F equivalent.
Some final switching of frequencies is due to happen this week. No major channels were moved to the UK-only beam, to the relief of many expat viewers.

Playing with words, I reckon that's confirmation, not information..?

Thanks again, I appreciated the thought. .:lol: :flatcap::flatcap:

barryk
03-07-2015, 07:27
Well that's it then. All the channels have now been moved and are on the new satellites. So hopefully, apart from a few minor tweeks thats it for the next 10-15 years.
Any programmes that are left on small dishes will probably the Sky subcription programmes. All the UK terestrial programmes will probably only viewable on a 3.7metre dish. I can confirm that this is the case on our complex which has this size dish.
This probably the same as before when UKTV was on Astra 2D.
Looks like the only long term solution for single households will be IPTV Larger communities could invest in a new dish at aprrox 4-6K euro. This could be more effective than IPTV at 40euro per month plus.

No doubt this will wake up our good friend TVs peddling his system or hopefully the end of the thread. Reception reports may help other members

Barryk

cressrt
03-07-2015, 07:48
We have a 2.7m dish aligned correctly, the only channel that seems to have gone is Sky Sports 2, maybe some of the signals are lower but all appear ok.

barryk
03-07-2015, 08:05
Anymore 2.7 metre dishes pulling UKTV out there would be interesting to hear and get a broad view

julia44
03-07-2015, 10:23
I have a 3m dish I have not checked all the channels but the last couple of days I have watched BBC1 BBC news 24 + used red button,SKY news, ITV1, ITV1+1, Channel 5, ITV2, ITV3,ITV3+1 and whatever the channel is that Judge Judy is CBS something and I have found no difference