PDA

View Full Version : Internet mobile as GPS

Mila
03-07-2015, 23:00
Next week comes two friends from Russia and I want to show them the island.

I know some places on the south, but moving to the north I thought to use my mobile as GPS with a MiFi router. I know that at the airport there's a company called Pocketnet that rents it.

Has anoyone tried this option?

information
04-07-2015, 10:11
Next week comes two friends from Russia and I want to show them the island.

I know some places on the south, but moving to the north I thought to use my mobile as GPS with a MiFi router. I know that at the airport there's a company called Pocketnet that rents it.

Has anoyone tried this option?

why do you need a MIFI? Just use a SIM with a data package in your phone.

ribuck
04-07-2015, 15:05
If your mobile has a GPS receiver, you need EITHER a SIM with data access, OR ELSE you need an offline maps app such as Osmand on Android or maps.me on iPhone.

If your mobile doesn't have a GPS receiver, a MiFi won't help you. Navigation is sort-of possible without a GPS receiver, but it's very approximate.

Mila
06-07-2015, 15:23
why do you need a MIFI? Just use a SIM with a data package in your phone.

I was comparing some SIM cards and I think we would consume the data given, that's why I'm looking for the MIFI option.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

If your mobile has a GPS receiver, you need EITHER a SIM with data access, OR ELSE you need an offline maps app such as Osmand on Android or maps.me on iPhone.

If your mobile doesn't have a GPS receiver, a MiFi won't help you. Navigation is sort-of possible without a GPS receiver, but it's very approximate.

Nice idea, I will try it.

Thx

essexeddie
06-07-2015, 17:40
Wouldn't it be easier to buy a map?

princessmonika
07-07-2015, 07:20
A garmin or others will do the job -- i take my garmin everywhere