PDA

View Full Version : Shopping Where are the best supermarkets near San Miguel?

Navrig
07-07-2015, 13:52
A few of us are heading to Tenerife for a week of road cycling later in the year. We have booked a villa in the village of San Miguel. As we are cycling we tend not to be interested in too much nightlife (I'm too old for exercise on a hangover!) so we will probably stock up with a week's worth of groceries and wine. Looking at Google maps there is a local supermarket but I was wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of:

1. A bigger supermarket or shops for a variety of fresh meat/fish.

2. The best/nearest beach to the village for later afternoon swims (nearby parking would be good).

3. A publicly and nearby accessible swimming pool.

4. Restaurant(s) which do local food.

5. Cafes in the general southern Tenerife/Teide areas suitable for lunchtime stops and sheltering for the sun.

6. Anything else which may be of interest to a bunch of 40+ year olds.

Hopefully not too much an ask.

Many thanks.

Malteser Monkey
07-07-2015, 14:00
Welcome from me sounds like you are going to have a lovely time - great place to go !

Someone be around soon to help you probably later on

lesbroz
07-07-2015, 14:27
Mercadona is the big supermarket (or lidl) where you can stock up on all your requirements. They are both in Chafiras (down the road from San Miguel) which is where you will probably come through from the airport to San Miguel. There is a swimming pool at the hotel next to Amarilla Golf which they allow you to use in return for buying a drink/snack. Cafes and restaurants abound so you shouldn,t have to worry about that. I'm sure someone else will come along and answer your questions. Enjoy your trip.

BobMac
07-07-2015, 16:33
If you want to try local Canadian at its best, you don't have to go far, try this restaurant in
San Miguel - http://www.latasquitadenino.net

It's one the locals tend to keep to themselves, not big so would advise booking.

As cyclists, suggest you pop into this restaurant in Golf Del Sur - http://www.rendezvous.golf-del-sur.com/ as well, the manager is a keen cyclist and used to cycle competitively. He will be able to give you suggestions for bike rides on the island.

imablue
07-07-2015, 21:01
La Tasquita de Nino (cant do the accent on top of the 2nd n ...) is really good but if there,s more than 6 in your group.. you best ride up there first and book ALL the tables.. defo recommended though ..nice one.. BobMac...:respect:

Pablo_H
07-07-2015, 21:20
Hi i live i San Miguel

Yes there is a local supermarket. For the Larger ones they are down in Las Chaferas with good Restaurants
San Miguel has some really good Cafe's like Guayoyo's at the top opposite the petrol station
When you get here drop me a line if you need anything

marbro8
07-07-2015, 22:34
Hi i live i San Miguel

Yes there is a local supermarket. For the Larger ones they are down in Las Chaferas with good Restaurants
San Miguel has some really good Cafe's like Guayoyo's at the top opposite the petrol station
When you get here drop me a line if you need anythingthank you for that post Pablo_H that is the sort of thing that this forum needs, to get back to helping members;)

imablue
07-07-2015, 23:03
San Miguel is a place to be discovered ...even if only for a quick coffee,beer or whatever.
Tenerife is a fountain of discoveries if only the peeps would explore it.
There is more to this island than just sunshine,sunshine and s...and.:)

haddrt
08-07-2015, 07:13
Mercadona is the great supermarket. You can buy products of all brands there. I went there about a few months ago with my friends. It is an ideal destination for shopping lovers. Many families go there in the summer season for shopping. They sales best quality products at realistic prices to their customers. So I suggest you should go there.

ribuck
08-07-2015, 08:26
When you ride down to the south from Teide, Vilaflor is the cyclists' cafe town. On the mountain itself, cyclists stop at El Portillo or Portillo Alto but that's towards the northern end. You can also stop at the Parador Hotel. It's very scenic but it's more expensive and the service is poorer than anywhere in Vilaflor.

Hey Jude
08-07-2015, 10:39
You also can cycle along the old trunk road to La Camella and San Lorenzo. Also try El Roque up to Jama and Escalona, there´s a few bars etc up there (bit uphill but you want exercise!!)

Navrig
09-07-2015, 12:09
Thanks to all the responses. Very helpful and very useful forum.

Nav

Malteser Monkey
09-07-2015, 12:15
Thanks to all the responses. Very helpful and very useful forum.

Nav

thanks for that - hope you have a great time.

If you like come back and tell us about it :spin:

universal
09-07-2015, 16:18
If you want to try local Canadian at its best, you don't have to go far, try this restaurant in
San Miguel - http://www.latasquitadenino.net

Is that the one where they serve papas arrugadas with maple syrup????

imablue
09-07-2015, 19:01
I think they serve anyone with maple syrup.........:crylaughing:

BobMac
10-07-2015, 08:25
Is that the one where they serve papas arrugadas with maple syrup????

Don't know about Maple Syrup, I would only eat them with Mojo so I wouldn't actually look for anything but Papas Arrugdas.

If you wanted Maple syrup, I'm sure they would oblige although as it's not technically Canarian and they only serve authentic Canarian food, they might not have any.

Navrig
10-07-2015, 09:42
Don't know about Maple Syrup, I would only eat them with Mojo so I wouldn't actually look for anything but Papas Arrugdas.

If you wanted Maple syrup, I'm sure they would oblige although as it's not technically Canarian and they only serve authentic Canarian food, they might not have any.

You may want to check your original post in this thread. Your spell checker has changed the nature of your post hence the reference to Maple Syrup.

BobMac
10-07-2015, 19:26
You may want to check your original post in this thread. Your spell checker has changed the nature of your post hence the reference to Maple Syrup.

Bloody tablet spellchecker strikes again.