PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Immigration to Tenerife from the EU

galli2015
08-07-2015, 16:24
Hi all I'm new to the forum here and we're planning to move to Tenerife.
We have Dutch nationality and would like to know if we can still go live there without having to apply for a visa??
Last time I checked they had a policy that anyone from the EU could just go and live there but now after searching I found out different things on other websides about requiring a permit of residency or something like that.
And one people told me that Tenerife is fighting for indepedence from Spain.
So I'm wondering about that maybe being an issue for EU people?
So I'm hoping someone can clarify this information.

galli2015
10-07-2015, 16:46
Can't you give me a link to one of these websides please?

Hepa
10-07-2015, 17:48
Can't you give me a link to one of these websides please?

Try this one from the U.K. gov. and good hunting!!

https://www.gov.uk/residency-requirements-in-spain

galli2015
13-07-2015, 16:42
OK I have read it.
I am planning to work from home so I'll assume from reading from this article that I can register myself even if I don;t have residency yet?
And then after 3 months this can be a proof of income?
But it does not say the amount of money you'll need to be considered having "sufficient income".
Sow how much money is considered enough per person?

Hepa
13-07-2015, 18:10
OK I have read it.
I am planning to work from home so I'll assume from reading from this article that I can register myself even if I don;t have residency yet?
And then after 3 months this can be a proof of income?
But it does not say the amount of money you'll need to be considered having "sufficient income".
Sow how much money is considered enough per person?

The amount varies between areas throughout Spain, you will have to enquire at the foreigners office in Tenerife. The law says that a person habitually residing in Spain, must within 90 days, register at the foreigners office, proof of healthcare provision and proof of income/savings will be required for the certificate to be granted.

Unfortunately I cannot enlighten more, I applied over 12 years ago and things have changed since then.

galli2015
15-07-2015, 15:23
Ok and now one last question.
Will we be allowed to enter Tenerife with a one way ticket or do we absolutely need to have a 2 way ticket to be allowed in?

banjanti
15-07-2015, 16:13
Spain is part of Schengen agreement, so is Netherlands (UK is not)
Basic principle of it is free movement of people, there is nothing you need to enter canary islands, you don't even need a passport (but you need other accepted form of identification)
Some countries (Denmark, Sweden, Finland) have requirements if you want to stay for over 3 months, canary islands being autonomous region have them as well, but as a Schengen member country you have full right to exercise your laws in regard to living in any member state, so without the certificate you have full right to stay there as long as you like(EU law is superior to state countries law), but it will be PITA without all paperwork in bureaucratic county like Spain
But at the end don't worry too much, canary is part of EU, there is nothing that prohibits you from entry, you don't need to prove ANYTHING at the airport
E.g. Spanish government may require you to register etc but their immigration authorities have no right to check it on border points as is direct violation of your EU laws and it's against Schengen agreement. They definitively have no right to deny you entry
Authorities in the Spain on the other hand have full right to make your life miserable if you don't comply regarding anything official done in the office
I hope that's clear

Hepa
15-07-2015, 19:37
Basic principle of it is free movement of people, there is nothing you need to enter canary islands, you don't even need a passport (but you need other accepted form of identification)
Some countries (Denmark, Sweden, Finland) have requirements if you want to stay for over 3 months, canary islands being autonomous region have them as well, but as a Schengen member country you have full right to exercise your laws in regard to living in any member state, so without the certificate you have full right to stay there as long as you like(EU law is superior to state countries law), but it will be PITA without all paperwork in bureaucratic county like Spain
But at the end don't worry too much, canary is part of EU, there is nothing that prohibits you from entry, you don't need to prove ANYTHING at the airport
E.g. Spanish government may require you to register etc but their immigration authorities have no right to check it on border points as is direct violation of your EU laws and it's against Schengen agreement. They definitively have no right to deny you entry
Authorities in the Spain on the other hand have full right to make your life miserable if you don't comply regarding anything official done in the office
I hope that's clear

Plus failure to notify the foreigners office within the said time is punishable with a fine.

banjanti
15-07-2015, 20:09
Obviously they will only find out if you start working and open a business for which you need the certificate anyway, am I right?

junglejim
16-07-2015, 11:03
Read this
http://www.diana-mcglone.com/
and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wtbQUaC9mE

galli2015
17-07-2015, 16:51
I hope that's clear

I tought this was the case.
But now it seems that they changed the law in 2012 so that's why.
I found it strange that they have made new laws AGAINST EU immigration because I tought that the main benifit of being in the Eu is the ability to go to any EU country freely.
But it seems that we're still allowed full access in the first 3 months to open up a business or something to make income and if we do we can then prove that we have income and stay there.
But now I am with the question about ticket purchase.
We want to buy a one way ticket because it's cheaper but the travel agent want us to buy 2 way tickets because they think we are not allowed in with 1 way ticket.
But maybe the travel agent just wanna sell tickets I don't know.
So Now I am stuck with the question if I buy 1 way tickets or 2 way.
If I get there to the airport and immigration sees that I have a 1 way ticket will they stop me from entering?
Or do I need to prove that I have a 2 way ticket that's dated 3 months after the date of arrival?
I don't wanna have problems at immigration.

Moderator___
17-07-2015, 17:57
Your travel agent is a fool, or greedy. A one way ticket is fine. The airline will check your ticket to make sure you are on the right aircraft but for EU Nationals the police/immigration just glance at your passport on arrival.

ribuck
18-07-2015, 11:50
I'm not even an EU national (I'm Australian), and I've never been asked to show a return ticket when arriving in Tenerife. The immigration police just scan my passport into their computer, look bored, then stamp the arrival date into my passport with a triumphant flourish.

emmess
22-07-2015, 11:31
Read this
http://www.diana-mcglone.com/
and this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wtbQUaC9mE

I was just going to recommend Diana's website. She is wonderfully helpful L)

Tonysoprano
09-08-2015, 19:35
Your country is in the EU and so is Spain and the Canary Islands. Spain won't want to let the Canaries go, they certainly don't want to let the Catalans go so don't expect any changes soon. You don't need a visa but if you are staying for more than three months you need to get an ID number from the National Police. It's know as an NIE. If you intend to live here permanently ie become a resident then you need to swap your NIE for a Certificado de Registro after you have had you NIE for three months. I have made that sound very simple but it's not, there are a number of things you need to get the Certificado de Registro including evidence of sufficient income, private health care or a reciprocal agreement between Spain and Holland to allow you to join the Spanish health care system and other things. There is an English website that has information about this, do a Google search for NIE and Certificado de Registro to get more information if you have good English, but then you are Dutch, so you will have good English. Good luck.

Sorry to sound a but dumb here but is the National Police the UK police or spanish police?

How can someone demonstrate sufficient income when starting a new business?

What is the cut off figures for sufficient or insufficient income based on spanish legislation?

Tonysoprano
10-08-2015, 08:15
Its the Spanish National Police, we also have Local Police and the Guardia Civil, all with different duties and priorities.

If you are starting a new business its going to take time to demonstrate your income from the business, i guess the alternative is to have enough cash in the bank to convince them that you are not going to be a burden on the Spanish state.

The cut off figure doesn't seem to have been published, gives the police a bit of wiggle room. I have heard it said that having the equivalent of the Spanish minimum wage in the bank is OK. Or a regular payment such as a pension could be OK. Its daft, but those are the rules.

Thanks for the reply.

I can't see why anyone would start any business due to the Spanish rules being a problem..It's almost like they are deflecting investment away opposed to encouraging it. Mind you the UK is pretty bad for this as well. Anyone starting a Business won't really know how the first few months will work out due to the old teething problems that come with most new business ventures.

What is the minimum wage in Spain currently? or dare i ask?

Tonysoprano
11-08-2015, 10:28
The minimum wage is 648.60 euros a month, I think.

thank you.

primrose
11-08-2015, 12:37
The minimum wage is 648.60 euros a month, I think.

It might be that much on paper, but doesn't mean you will get it.

Andrzej
16-08-2015, 02:24
a question for you...are you renting or buying.?...are you married or partnered officially? if buying beware....inheritent tax I Tenerife can be huge....better rent!