PDA

View Full Version : Scottish Currency in Tenerife

Ecky Thump
23-07-2015, 15:46
:

Has anyone had any recent experience of changing Scottish bank notes while in Tenerife and whether they have had any problems in any of the money exchange shops?

Under normal conditions I wouldn't have to change cash while in Los Cristianos as I've always been able to rely on my very good friends Angusjim and marbro8 to subsidise Carols drinking habits, but alas on my next holiday they will not be there to offer help. :D

lynno52
23-07-2015, 17:44
:

Under normal conditions I wouldn't have to change cash while in Los Cristianos as I've always been able to rely on my very good friends Angusjim and marbro8 to subsidise Carols drinking habits, but alas on my next holiday they will not be there to offer help. :D

Well it's lucky for you that I will be around should you require a sub! With interest of course! :laugh:

marbro8
23-07-2015, 18:21
:

Has anyone had any recent experience of changing Scottish bank notes while in Tenerife and whether they have had any problems in any of the money exchange shops?

Under normal conditions I wouldn't have to change cash while in Los Cristianos as I've always been able to rely on my very good friends Angusjim and marbro8 to subsidise Carols drinking habits, but alas on my next holiday they will not be there to offer help. :Di am forever having trouble with getting shopkeepers and bar owners to accept the scottish bank notes. now "MONOPOLY" money that's a lot easier to get rid of:D

Ecky Thump
23-07-2015, 18:44
i am forever having trouble with getting shopkeepers and bar owners to accept the scottish bank notes. now "MONOPOLY" money that's a lot easier to get rid of:D

I'll give you £1000 of Monopoly money for £100 of Scottish notes.....preferably Clydesdale Bank ones as I live by the Banks of the Great River Clyde.:lol:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Well it's lucky for you that I will be around should you require a sub! With interest of course! :laugh:

When are you out in Tenerife?

melm
23-07-2015, 18:53
:

Never experienced any problems exchanging our Scottish notes.

i am forever having trouble with getting shopkeepers and bar owners to accept the scottish bank notes. now "MONOPOLY" money that's a lot easier to get rid of:D

When we are in an English restaurant or bar they always take our Scottish notes, especially if we have finished our food and drank our drinks.:doh:

lynno52
23-07-2015, 19:23
When are you out in Tenerife?

I fly out on 7th August at the moment but may go a week earlier .......:)

EricN
23-07-2015, 19:25
[QUOTE=Ecky Thump;478922]I'll give you £1000 of Monopoly money for £100 of Scottish notes.....preferably Clydesdale Bank ones as I live by the Banks of the Great River Clyde.:lol:

Clydesdale Bank. That will be the plastic £5 notes, waterproof to withstand the west coast rain and the tears shed when parting with it.
Good luck exchanging a plastic fiver.

TOTO 99
23-07-2015, 19:26
It's easier to get rid of Jehova's Witnesses than a Scottish note.....:lol:

Ecky Thump
23-07-2015, 19:28
[QUOTE=Ecky Thump;478922]I'll give you £1000 of Monopoly money for £100 of Scottish notes.....preferably Clydesdale Bank ones as I live by the Banks of the Great River Clyde.:lol:

Clydesdale Bank. That will be the plastic £5 notes, waterproof to withstand the west coast rain and the tears shed when parting with it.
Good luck exchanging a plastic fiver.

I wonder what the Greasy Greeks would make their money out of if they had their own currency.?? :D

It's easier to get rid of Jehova's Witnesses than a Scottish note.....:lol:

Is that your experience from when you've been out drinking with Angusjim?:lol:

TOTO 99
23-07-2015, 19:33
[QUOTE=EricN;478932]

I wonder what the Greasy Greeks would make their money out of if they had their own currency.?? :D

Is that your experience from when you've been out drinking with Angusjim?:lol:

It would've been....had he made any attempt to buy a round.....:lol:

Malteser Monkey
23-07-2015, 19:49
When we are in an English restaurant or bar they always take our Scottish notes, especially if we have finished our food and drank our drinks.:doh:

Coz Owt's better than nowt........as they say up North:lol:

melm
23-07-2015, 20:00
Coz Owt's better than nowt........as they say up North:lol:

Sure is, Can you imagine a free meal 'cause they won't accept our money.................nae chance:lol:

macdonald5
23-07-2015, 20:16
Sure is, Can you imagine a free meal 'cause they won't accept our money.................nae chance:lol:

Have never actually tried to pay for a meal inScottish currency or TBH in English
Always try o use Halifax Clarity card which gives bank rate or back up of euros
Do take some Bank f England notes to change if needed

Malteser Monkey
23-07-2015, 20:34

Ohhh I'm sure I can mention a few who would .............:whistle::wink2:

melm
23-07-2015, 21:27
Have never actually tried to pay for a meal inScottish currency or TBH in English
Always try o use Halifax Clarity card which gives bank rate or back up of euros
Do take some Bank f England notes to change if needed

Know what you mean, but I was really talking about when we are in England. Wouldn't dream of doing it on my holidays abroad::lol:

Malteser Monkey
24-07-2015, 09:12
Know what you mean, but I was really talking about when we are in England. Wouldn't dream of doing it on my holidays abroad::lol:

Wot abooot Wales ?:scared:

Ecky Thump
24-07-2015, 09:19
Carol has just pointed out to me that there is a shop in Puerto de la Cruz, just behind the Plaza del Charco that used to offer a cent more to the pound on Scottish notes over English ones.....he obviously over valued the Scottish oil reserves.:lol:

Angusjim
24-07-2015, 09:54
Carol has just pointed out to me that there is a shop in Puerto de la Cruz, just behind the Plaza del Charco that used to offer a cent more to the pound on Scottish notes over English ones.....he obviously over valued the Scottish oil reserves.:lol:

Do they still take British Linen Bank notes:dontknow::whistle:

Ecky Thump
24-07-2015, 10:29
Do they still take British Linen Bank notes:dontknow::whistle:

I'm not sure, but after taking Carol out yesterday for a new holiday outfit (pair of tights), I was forced to tender a banknote of a very large denomination! :-(

macdonald5
24-07-2015, 15:02
This is my dear hubby's pocket money every week !!!6082

The shops keep telling him they don't have enough change

Ecky Thump
24-07-2015, 15:37
This is my dear hubby's pocket money every week !!!6082

The shops keep telling him they don't have enough change

A pound, every week! are you mad woman or was it a typing error and you meant to put a pound a month. ???

TOTO 99
24-07-2015, 16:13
A pound, every week! are you mad woman or was it a typing error and you meant to put a pound a month. ???

Genuine question...Do you guys call this "A Single" ?

macdonald5
24-07-2015, 16:45

Well he actually only gets Euros here and sterling in Tenerife along with this £1 but keeps him happy thinking he's got money !!!

blondie
24-07-2015, 16:47
In reply to your question Ecky , we have never , ever experienced any difficulty changing scottish notes in Tenerife but while travelling to Blackpool a couple of weeks ago westopped off Southwaite services and we had problems there but for the life of me cant remember what is was about . I just know it was about our notes and it wasnt our new plastic fiver .

Ecky Thump
24-07-2015, 16:58
In reply to your question Ecky , we have never , ever experienced any difficulty changing scottish notes in Tenerife but while travelling to Blackpool a couple of weeks ago westopped off Southwaite services and we had problems there but for the life of me cant remember what is was about . I just know it was about our notes and it wasnt our new plastic fiver .

Last year we went down to St. Albans and I filled the car up with diesel (about £60) and gave them Scottish ten pound notes, they refused to accept them, so I suggested that they got a rubber tube and syphon the fuel out....they soon accepted the Scottish notes! :D

Genuine question...Do you guys call this "A Single" ?

A £1 note is a often callled a "oner" but that could also refer to a Scottish £100, when the three banks...The Royal Bank of Scotland, The Bank of Scotland and the Clydesdale Bank issued £100 notes they were sometimes referred to as a "Mackie" as the Clydesdale Bank £100 note had a picture of Charles Rennie Mackintosh on it.

kingbaker
24-07-2015, 17:25
Did mackie invent upset stomachs? :D