PDA

View Full Version : Cars & Transport Photo licences

mandymoo
28-07-2015, 22:56
Can someone please tell me if you have to change your UK photo card driving licence to a spanish one. I am hearing that many stories, some say no, some say yes. Lived here for 12 months, but i was told you had to change it if you live here, then someone said no, you do not need to change it until you have lived here for two years, then someone said you change it when it expires. Grrrrrrrr
Please someone tell me the true version of what is required.

LUCKY
28-07-2015, 23:25
Can someone please tell me if you have to change your UK photo card driving licence to a spanish one. I am hearing that many stories, some say no, some say yes. Lived here for 12 months, but i was told you had to change it if you live here, then someone said no, you do not need to change it until you have lived here for two years, then someone said you change it when it expires. Grrrrrrrr
Please someone tell me the true version of what is required.

May be this can be off some assistance :flatcap:

http://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2015/01/17/expats-urged-to-renew-driving-licence-in-spain/

mandymoo
28-07-2015, 23:56
It says if you have been here for two years and your licence is valid for 15 years or more, it has eight years on it, and i have not been here for two years, only 12 months, because driving licence is only 8 years to run is it that it needs changing.

Megaloo
29-07-2015, 09:40
I think you can still drive with your UK license as it still has some time left on it, but I think you need to have a medical to comply and carry the medical certificate with you.

I believe the law you are breaking is in the UK if you no longer live at the address on your license then it is them you notify, ? someone will be along to correct me.

I changed mine thought it best to as I live here now

imablue
29-07-2015, 12:40
Have a word with Emma at Motorworld she sorted mine out no problem..629 04 85 29.

timmylish
29-07-2015, 15:49
All residents are required to change to Spanish D.L. having lived here, I think, for more than 6 months. You are driving illegally becasue you cannot use/have a UK licence if you do not reside in the UK. Since the UK licence is not valid you are, in theory, driving without a valid driving licence until you change over to a Spanish one. Not a pleasant thought and one which I can assure, the Guardia Civil (Traffico), will take infinite pleasure in pursuing. It also brings into question the validity of your car insurance, ie driving without a valid licence! Lets cut out all the crap, he says, she says, you,ve heard, you,ve read somewhere, you currently live in Span and therefor subject to the Laws prevailing here. Get a Spanish one pronto and don,t have any hassle with Traffico. I just don,t understand the reluctance of certain people in not wishing to relinquish their UK driving licences.
If I were to explain that I have lived here for more than 25 years and thought that it would be a real apin to change over. Wrong. Nothing could have been simpler. Wish you well.