PDA

View Full Version : Employment Moving to Tenerife....

Merton69
14-08-2015, 16:58
Hello to all members on here.

Yes, it's yet another enquiry about relocating to Tenerife from England. :wink:

After our recent holiday in beautiful Tenerife my wife and I have finally come to the conclusion we do want to live there.

We have been to the island many times now and feel it's about time we did something about it.

We have had Estate Agents in to talk about renting out our home etc etc and contacted various schools in Tenerife for our two children to be educated.
All this has come back positive.

Our only concern is employment in Tenerife. I was made redundant from my local newspaper as a graphic designer and my wife is a primary school Teacher's Assistant with a SEN qualification, hence the time being right for us to make the 'move'!

I have contacted various website pages connected to my job but as yet no replies.

Please can anyone give help and advice about seeking employment on the island?

Tom & Sharon
15-08-2015, 16:00
Hello to all members on here.

Yes, it's yet another enquiry about relocating to Tenerife from England. :wink:

After our recent holiday in beautiful Tenerife my wife and I have finally come to the conclusion we do want to live there.

We have been to the island many times now and feel it's about time we did something about it.

We have had Estate Agents in to talk about renting out our home etc etc and contacted various schools in Tenerife for our two children to be educated.
All this has come back positive.

Our only concern is employment in Tenerife. I was made redundant from my local newspaper as a graphic designer and my wife is a primary school Teacher's Assistant with a SEN qualification, hence the time being right for us to make the 'move'!

I have contacted various website pages connected to my job but as yet no replies.

I think no one has replied, because no one wants to tell you it's not likely.

Unemployment is very high in the Canaries, and wages are extremely low. Unless you can run your own online UK business somehow as a graphic designer, you're unlikely to find work in that field. Similarly, your wife is not going to find work as a teaching assistant.

To put it bluntly, jobs like that are as rare as rocking horse ****!

Think very carefully. To pay rent, bills, school fees and to enjoy the type of life you probably envisage living in Tenerife, you need a very decent income. Incomes that are nigh on impossible to find.

Tenerife is a beautiful island, but living there to a certain standard, in the present economic climate is really for people with a pension or remote income. Other than that, you'll end up joining the legions of expats cleaning apartments, doing odd jobs, working in a bar and generally scratching around to earn a living.

Two decent incomes and a nice home, with 2 kids in private school is easily achievable in U.K. However in Tenerife as an expat - you're more likely to win tonight's lottery.

Explore the idea of establishing a remote business. That's the only route.

kingbaker
15-08-2015, 16:52
I was just about to say that!!;)

Merton69
25-08-2015, 18:50
Thanks Tom and Sharon for your reply, though I am somewhat disappointed by your overall negativity.
But not surprising reading some of your other posts/replies.

We are completely aware that it won't be a walk in the park and maybe a few positive pointers would have been helpful.

My wife has applied to various schools who have requested CV's and special indepth work experience.

I am more than happy to move and find work outside of my knowledge and experience.

kingbaker
25-08-2015, 20:11
She wasnt being negative. You're just not listening.

Merton69
25-08-2015, 20:35
You're just not listening.

Likewise with my reply.

primrose
25-08-2015, 20:50
Likewise with my reply.

You don't want to listen, you have been on holiday, yeh it's paradise, try the reality, Go and stand in the queue at the Social Security for hours like hundreds do every day but you won't get benefit's here like you do in the UK if you haven't paid in you get nothing, walk round the bars every day asking for a job perhaps you will be lucky and get one working for 5 Euros an hour and if your very very lucky you might get a contract but more likely than not it will be cash in hand. Tom and Sharon's reply was not negative it was reality, but you having been here on holiday will know different. Sharon I really don't know why you bother trying to help.

marbro8
25-08-2015, 21:32
the only reason i would go to live in tenerife would be as a retired pensioner. that way i wouldn't have to rely on work. which is by all accounts very hard to come by

Merton69
25-08-2015, 21:44
You don't want to listen, you have been on holiday, yeh it's paradise, try the reality, Go and stand in the queue at the Social Security for hours like hundreds do every day but you won't get benefit's here like you do in the UK if you haven't paid in you get nothing, walk round the bars every day asking for a job perhaps you will be lucky and get one working for 5 Euros an hour and if your very very lucky you might get a contract but more likely than not it will be cash in hand. Tom and Sharon's reply was not negative it was reality, but you having been here on holiday will know different. Sharon I really don't know why you bother trying to help.

How do you know what I listened to or not?

You must think I live in cloud cuckoo land and think I can move to Tenerife and buy a property and get a job without a problem for me or my wife.

You also don't have a clue about my background either.

Quite insulting actually.

I am fully aware of the difficulties in getting a future up together in Tenerife. I am also fully aware that my holidays there were completely different to real life on the island.

I was merely asking for a help in seeking work in those fields mentioned or anything else to help set up a future there....hence.

primrose
25-08-2015, 22:01

You must think I live in cloud cuckoo land and think I can move to Tenerife and buy a property and get a job without a problem for me or my wife.

I am fully aware of the difficulties in getting a future up together in Tenerife. I am also fully aware that my holidays there were completely different to real life on the island.

I was merely asking for a help in seeking work in those fields mentioned or anything else to help set up a future there....hence.

I think you were quite insulting to Sharon after she took the trouble to give you an honest reply.

Megaloo
25-08-2015, 22:15
I have several Canarian friends who have been unemployed now for about 4 years they are well educated and qualified in different fields, what they are finding as one has recently managed to get a job is they are offered 70% of the Salary take it or leave it if they do not like it someone else will jump at the job. Also unless you are good with the language you are also at a disadvantage.

marbro8
25-08-2015, 22:39

I was merely asking for a help in seeking work in those fields mentioned or anything else to help set up a future there....hence.i really hope you get what you want and everything works out mate:wink2:. but i do not hold out much hope:(. just trawl the moving to tenerife threads and you will see what i mean:( and the reason that there are so many negative posts on here is because it really is hard to find jobs and make a living on the supposed paradise isle:(

Merton69
25-08-2015, 23:01
I have several Canarian friends who have been unemployed now for about 4 years they are well educated and qualified in different fields, what they are finding as one has recently managed to get a job is they are offered 70% of the Salary take it or leave it if they do not like it someone else will jump at the job. Also unless you are good with the language you are also at a disadvantage.

Thank you Megaloo!

That is more like the reply. Fully appreciated and your point will be taken into account.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

i really hope you get what you want and everything works out mate:wink2:. but i do not hold out much hope:(. just trawl the moving to tenerife threads and you will see what i mean:( and the reason that there are so many negative posts on here is because it really is hard to find jobs and make a living on the supposed paradise isle:(

Thank you Marbro8.

I have looked at many a Tenerife move thread on here and other sites.

That's the whole reason for joining a forum like this.

I know it's not going to be a stroll.

The more you ask the more info you gain to help and advise 'one's decision making.

YavorIbiza
02-09-2015, 09:46
Hello everybody i am on 25 years old and looking for a job in Tenerife after 20 September i will be on the island.
I got NIE and Spanish Bank account my experiance is like waiter and bartender if any one can help with someinfo thanks!

Tony the Welder
02-09-2015, 14:55

hi merton69 if you do live in cuckoo land can you say hello to all my friends ,most of the expat that are here, also lived there , we all took a chance to get a better life I also agree with what has been said but on the other side I play the lottery most weeks because I want to win, try the local papers English and Spanish you may drop lucky also for your wife all the schools , if you can rent out your house so you have some sort of safety net this could be advisable it would pay for you to rent some where out here then you are in a position to try it for a period of time to see if you can make it work , good look

Tom & Sharon
03-09-2015, 15:03
Thanks Tom and Sharon for your reply, though I am somewhat disappointed by your overall negativity.
But not surprising reading some of your other posts/replies.

We are completely aware that it won't be a walk in the park and maybe a few positive pointers would have been helpful.

My wife has applied to various schools who have requested CV's and special indepth work experience.

I am more than happy to move and find work outside of my knowledge and experience.

OK then, crack on!

Hepa
06-09-2015, 10:29
There is always Gran Canaria

kingbaker
06-09-2015, 10:34
Hi Hepa, is the economy better on GC?

Hepa
06-09-2015, 11:44
Hi Hepa, is the economy better on GC?

Las Palmas de G.C. always gives that impression, the city heaves. I visit a couple of times a year, but I am retired and somewhat out of touch with jobs and work. Certainly better than El Hierro, many here have left to find work and some are now on G.C.

kingbaker
06-09-2015, 22:00
Las Palmas de G.C. always gives that impression, the city heaves. I visit a couple of times a year, but I am retired and somewhat out of touch with jobs and work. Certainly better than El Hierro, many here have left to find work and some are now on G.C.

I've never been to Las Palmas, only the airport and then by coach to P del Ingles or whatever. Must put it on my list.:p

Hepa
07-09-2015, 11:17
I've never been to Las Palmas, only the airport and then by coach to P del Ingles or whatever. Must put it on my list.:p

Well worth a visit, we stay near the beach Las Canteras, plenty to do and the public transport is very good. Last time we went ended up buying a new car!!