PDA

View Full Version : Cars & Transport TF-655 vs. TF-1

ProfessorGadget
18-08-2015, 02:32
I will be flying into Tenerife South Airport and then going to Los Cristianos. I have some questions about the motorways.

I heard that the speed limit on motorways is 120 km/hr and I see that TF-1 seems to be the main motorway.

I am not comfortable with high speeds and I always try to take slower secondary highways instead of primary motorways. I am sure I would not be comfortable with the speeds on the TF-1.

On the map, it looked like I could take TF-655 from the airport to Los Cristianos instead. Would this be a slower road? I would be more comfortable on a slower road, so I am hoping this would be a better road for me to take.

Susief23
18-08-2015, 07:40
I will be flying into Tenerife South Airport and then going to Los Cristianos. I have some questions about the motorways.

I heard that the speed limit on motorways is 120 km/hr and I see that TF-1 seems to be the main motorway.

I am not comfortable with high speeds and I always try to take slower secondary highways instead of primary motorways. I am sure I would not be comfortable with the speeds on the TF-1.

On the map, it looked like I could take TF-655 from the airport to Los Cristianos instead. Would this be a slower road? I would be more comfortable on a slower road, so I am hoping this would be a better road for me to take.

Welcome, the TF-1 is the easier way to Los Cris from the airport. You could always come off on the San Miguel junction at Las Chafiras and this more or less runs parallel with the TF-1.
What area are you staying in Los Cris? Have you booked a hire car?
We always use www.autoreisen.es

ProfessorGadget
18-08-2015, 12:37
I will take a look at Autoreisen. Thanks!

I haven't quite booked my rental in Los Cris yet but need to very soon (that time of year is pretty well booked up).

Back home I always take the parallel slower roads. I never drive on freeways or interstates (which are the USA equivalent of motorways or autobahns). I always look for the secondary slower roads. When I learned to drive, the national speed limit in my country was 55 miles/hour (about 88.5 kilometers/hour). Back then our country had a motto, "55 Saves Lives." I have never been comfortable driving on freeways since they raised the speed limits back up to higher speeds. I still never drive fast myself.

Susief23
18-08-2015, 23:19
I will take a look at Autoreisen. Thanks!

I haven't quite booked my rental in Los Cris yet but need to very soon (that time of year is pretty well booked up).

Back home I always take the parallel slower roads. I never drive on freeways or interstates (which are the USA equivalent of motorways or autobahns). I always look for the secondary slower roads. When I learned to drive, the national speed limit in my country was 55 miles/hour (about 88.5 kilometers/hour). Back then our country had a motto, "55 Saves Lives." I have never been comfortable driving on freeways since they raised the speed limits back up to higher speeds. I still never drive fast myself.

They are worth looking at. Don't need to pay until you pick up car.
It's only a short stretch of motorway until San Miguel/Las Chafiras. Just can be a bit hairaising at times getting into it as only a short slip road.
Don't leave booking your apt too late. Swallows from Europe tend to book for Oct-April.

ProfessorGadget
18-08-2015, 23:45
They are worth looking at. Don't need to pay until you pick up car.
Don't leave booking your apt too late. Swallows from Europe tend to book for Oct-April.

I hear that! I'm definitely trying to finalize everything this week.

BTW, where I live, I don't need a car. I walk to do my shopping, and I work from home. So I really get out of practice with driving! I may change my mind about hiring a car, and just take the bus. I am sure that once I get to Los Cristianos I will be able to walk to the beach and the shopping, etc. I enjoy walking around a village and getting to know it on foot. I see more, and meet people, and enjoy it the most that way.

Susief23
19-08-2015, 08:11
I hear that! I'm definitely trying to finalize everything this week.

BTW, where I live, I don't need a car. I walk to do my shopping, and I work from home. So I really get out of practice with driving! I may change my mind about hiring a car, and just take the bus. I am sure that once I get to Los Cristianos I will be able to walk to the beach and the shopping, etc. I enjoy walking around a village and getting to know it on foot. I see more, and meet people, and enjoy it the most that way.

I think maybe you don't need a car. If you aren't intending going far it might be easier to stick with buses. Buy yourself a Bono card at the airport for reduced price travel. There's a good bus station in Los Cris.