PDA

View Full Version : Advice wanted Best places to go on your own

niamhmccarthy01
20-08-2015, 08:14
Hi I am going to PDLA in October. I was to be travelling with a friend but shes let me down. Iv nvr gone on holidays on my own before. Where are the best places to meet up with people?

LUCKY
20-08-2015, 09:15
Bars :flatcap::feret::feret::feret::feret:

bennoa1
20-08-2015, 10:31
Anywhere along the front in a bar/restaurant and you'll be fine. People are more relaxed on their holidays so more likely to engage, and revert back to being a miserable b****d when back in the UK. Assuming you female you defo will not have any issues. I'm going in October but don't think the wife would approve.

niamhmccarthy01
20-08-2015, 10:40
Lol true. Yes Im female early 40s so bit too old to be falling around Veronicas strip.

Leam_Lin
20-08-2015, 10:49
Welcome to the forum. whereabouts are you staying?

kingbaker
20-08-2015, 13:18
I dunno our melm's been known to do a bit of pole-dancing there.....so maybe she could help!!:p:p

woolli
20-08-2015, 13:25
Lol true. Yes Im female early 40s so bit too old to be falling around Veronicas strip.

Your never to old! Not in Tenerife anyway!

niamhmccarthy01
20-08-2015, 13:37
Spose not lol

niamhmccarthy01
20-08-2015, 13:37
Welcome to the forum. whereabouts are you staying?
Thank you Im staying in Las Piramidas

imablue
20-08-2015, 15:10
Very nice bar on the corner of the road virtually next door to Las Piramides...The Anchor Bar nice easy ambience during the day and lively of a night time.
Enjoy your stay .

Malteser Monkey
20-08-2015, 15:26

Hiya and Welcome from me

You need to change your gender coz you're showing the blue male symbol - have a look at LeamLin's post she has the pink symbol

Hope you enjoy your holiday's and avoid a man carrying a ferret goes by the name of LUCKY:lol:

niamhmccarthy01
20-08-2015, 15:27
Great il try it out. Thanks

niamhmccarthy01
20-08-2015, 15:38
All pink now I hope Malteser monkey and I most definitely will he avoiding any men carrying a ferret no matter what they are called. Lol

LUCKY
20-08-2015, 16:08
Hiya and Welcome from me

You need to change your gender coz you're showing the blue male symbol - have a look at LeamLin's post she has the pink symbol

Hope you enjoy your holiday's and avoid a man carrying a ferret goes by the name of LUCKY:lol:

Do you mean i am having visitors nay holiday makers coming to Yorkshire , I have still got the Canarian Weekly crew here :flatcap::feret::feret::feret::feret:

Malteser Monkey
20-08-2015, 16:27
All pink now I hope Malteser monkey and I most definitely will he avoiding any men carrying a ferret no matter what they are called. Lol

Sorry you're still blue !

We'll avoid men carrying anything long and wriggly :lol:

kingbaker
20-08-2015, 17:15
And hairy!!!! :D

Malteser Monkey
20-08-2015, 17:41
And hairy!!!! :D

Errrrrrrrr:scared:

niamhmccarthy01
20-08-2015, 18:29
Sorry you're still blue !

We'll avoid men carrying anything long and wriggly [emoji38]
Says I am female though lol.

And I will for sure haha

melm
20-08-2015, 18:51
I dunno our melm's been known to do a bit of pole-dancing there.....so maybe she could help!!:p:p

Don't believe a word of it, although I wish I could.:wow:

Have a lovely holiday I'm sure you will

marbro8
20-08-2015, 18:59
Says I am female though lol.

And I will for sure hahawell you have just become cross gender:lol:. you won't have a problem meeting people anywhere in the south. las americas or try a walk up to los cristianos. you will even make friends around the pool. we started to frequent the pool on the complex that we stay on. we were all shy, and walking about like lost souls for the first couple of days. now after a few years there is a merry band of 11 of us:lol:. we go out together and even meet up back here in the uk. all from talking to each other around the pool;)

niamhmccarthy01
20-08-2015, 18:59
Thank you melm I was a bit nervous but if how friendly people are on here is anything to go by Im sure I will too. Thanks all.

niamhmccarthy01
20-08-2015, 19:00
Thats great. Good to hear. :)

niamhmccarthy01
20-08-2015, 19:01
..not the transgender bit lol.

melm
20-08-2015, 19:06
..not the transgender bit lol.

Strange that you are showing up as male. Bet you are all woman.:lol: Is that an Irish name?

Must be a bit daunting to go on your own but you will be fine I'm sure. My sister has gone to Tenerife a couple of times on her own and she has been fine. Just watch out for the "prowlers" (you know what I mean)rolleyes2: Enjoy

niamhmccarthy01
20-08-2015, 19:08
Yes Im Irish .. Niamh pronounce neeve. And thanks for the support. I feel alot btr about it now. Im actually starting to look forward to the holiday again.

Bhamannette
21-08-2015, 12:35
I go on my own all the time, made some great friends.
If you like live music there are some great bands that play around PDLA, Harleys American Diner, The Moonlight Bar, the Bulls Head to name a few.
The walk along the coast to La Caleta is lovely, there's a lovely beach bar before you get into the town and there are lots of nice bars and restaurants there, I have never felt uncomfortable being on my own.
Hope you have a lovely time

niamhmccarthy01
21-08-2015, 13:48
Oh great to hear thank you so much for sharing.

Malteser Monkey
21-08-2015, 14:20
Yes Im Irish .. Niamh pronounce neeve. And thanks for the support. I feel alot btr about it now. Im actually starting to look forward to the holiday again.

Oh blimey hope you're not near our very own kingbaker :D

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

well you have just become cross gender:lol:. you won't have a problem meeting people anywhere in the south. las americas or try a walk up to los cristianos. you will even make friends around the pool. we started to frequent the pool on the complex that we stay on. we were all shy, and walking about like lost souls for the first couple of days. now after a few years there is a merry band of 11 of us:lol:. we go out together and even meet up back here in the uk. all from talking to each other around the pool;)

Ermmm excuse me ?:D

melm
21-08-2015, 18:52
[QUOTE=Malteser Monkey;482998]Oh blimey hope you're not near our very own kingbaker :D

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

He's saying nowt

kingbaker
21-08-2015, 20:10
Whaddya want me to say....
Hi Niamh!!;)

melm
21-08-2015, 21:52
Whaddya want me to say....
Hi Niamh!!;)

Well its a start :fireworks::hide:

niamhmccarthy01
21-08-2015, 22:11
Hi to you kingbaker.

TOTO 99
22-08-2015, 11:00
Hiya and Welcome from me

Sorry, I've only just spotted this and I'm not sure the person it was meant for has seen it so I'll fix that for you... kingbaker..:laugh:

Malteser Monkey
22-08-2015, 11:28
Sorry, I've only just spotted this and I'm not sure the person it was meant for has seen it so I'll fix that for you... kingbaker..:laugh:

:crazy::laugh:

kingbaker
22-08-2015, 11:49
Wott!!

Is it pick on Kingbaker day today??;)

melm
22-08-2015, 12:54
Wott!!

You got it rolleyes2:

kingbaker
22-08-2015, 15:52

Probs means early 50s or 60s :D:D

niamhmccarthy01
22-08-2015, 16:06
Lol 75 actually 😂😂😂😂😂

melm
22-08-2015, 16:18
Lol 75 actually ����������

He really know how to charm a lady rolleyes2:

kingbaker
22-08-2015, 16:23
He really know how to charm a lady rolleyes2:

If I charm the ladies, Ecky Thump gets his thong in a knot......so wottam I to do?:p:p:p

melm
22-08-2015, 16:24
If I charm the ladies, Ecky Thump gets his thong in a knot......so wottam I to do?:p:p:p

Dinnae ken rolleyes2:

Malteser Monkey
22-08-2015, 16:26
Wott!!

Every day:cheeky:

Where is Ecky isn't he back yet ??

melm
22-08-2015, 16:28
Every day:cheeky:

Where is Ecky isn't he back yet ??

Probably still got a hangover :sleeping:

bennoa1
26-08-2015, 13:11
My wife has been out there a number of times on her own (although we've been there 100+ times and she knows where to go and knows a lot of the bar/restaurant owners and workers) and feels safer wondering about than she does in the UK, especially at night. Just stick to the busier areas and don't wonder off the beaten track, the same as you would at home. I've never been on my own but only due to not having as much holiday as the wife. At least you don't have to take into consideration what someone else wants to do and you can just do your own thing. We're out mid Oct but only for a sneaky long weekend, an then back December. Really looking forward to it now. Hope you enjoy - i'm sure you'll have a great time. There's a few Irish bars about, in fact there's a few of every type of bar about.

niamhmccarthy01
26-08-2015, 22:26
My friend let me down. I was a bit nervous but since joining the forum Im feeling better about the situ. In fact now iv got my head around it Im seeing the benefits. As in I have the freedom to plan my own day. Im really greatful to you all for your help. Thanks.

marbro8
26-08-2015, 22:38
My friend let me down. I was a bit nervous but since joining the forum Im feeling better about the situ. In fact now iv got my head around it Im seeing the benefits. As in I have the freedom to plan my own day. Im really greatful to you all for your help. Thanks.you will be fine;), just remember try not to carry a bag. or if you do secure it properly. spread your money about your person. you can have a good night out for around €30 in tenerife. so put €10 in one pocket €10 in another etc etc. we have been about 20 times now and been pickpocketed once and someone tried again in may. but i was wise to them. as someone said keep to busy parts. and if you have to walk home in the dark, ask if you can join someone. i am sure they wouldn't mind. i hope you have a lovely time and come back on here to let us know how you got on:)

niamhmccarthy01
26-08-2015, 22:43
Aw thanks. I will come back on and let u know. As for handbags not gona happen. One good thing is my friend was all beach club papagayo book a booth. Me im happy shower n jeans nice top. Money in pocket n walk pr way. They might be a pain the pr's but if u go along their route I think ur safe enough. I prob end up on balcony at night with bot of cave anyway.

niamhmccarthy01
26-08-2015, 22:45
Sorry i meant cava

marbro8
26-08-2015, 23:05
Sorry i meant cavai am not against cave but cava does taste better;)

bennoa1
27-08-2015, 12:14
I only ever carry what I need for the day and a credit card in a small wallet which is in a small rucksack. Its always close to me and never on my back. If I go to a bar I male sure its not left on or near the walkway and I've never ben mugged or attempted but the mother ion law has and we chased the guy off - fortunately he didn't get her bag but she was around 80 when it happened and not worldly wise. Internal pockets on shorts are a good option but need to make sure they are sturdy enough for the job.
There's a red wine from Mercadona with paper around it and dark red plastic (cant recall the name) but it tastes good and is 2.50 euros - bargain. We've got a Halifax Clarity credit card now which offers the best exchange rates but if you pay by card always choose euros and not sterling as they will set the exchange rate and fairly certain it will be lower than you can get at any cash exchange place over there. Use it at the supermarket and if we have a meal in the evening and the bill is over say 20 euros, which it always is. We used to go out all the time at night but now prefer extending the day and sitting on the balcony with some wine and nibbles listening to some music and watching the wild birds flying over. We still go out about 50% of the time though.

Malteser Monkey
27-08-2015, 12:49
marbro8 do you have 2 log ins :crazy::laugh:

marbro8
27-08-2015, 14:55
marbro8 do you have 2 log ins :crazy::laugh:No:cheeky:

niamhmccarthy01
28-08-2015, 08:19
Thanks for all the advice. Im Irish so euro not a problem but il def be taking the rest on board. Thats terrible about ur mum in law.

bennoa1
28-08-2015, 08:50
Thanks for all the advice. Im Irish so euro not a problem but il def be taking the rest on board. Thats terrible about ur mum in law.

Realised you were Irish but that took a punt (no pun intended) you wouldn't have lived there! It was by McDonalds in LC where the attempt on the MIL's handbag was so busy and lots of people about. Unfortunately I was a distance away as she'd gone looking at handbags and after the 80th shop its gets a tad tiresome, otherwise he may have received a bit more than a few people jostling with him, but it does make you look at where you go, what you carry and to keep your eyes open and not become complacent. It could happen anywhere not just in TF.
PS - some not bad paces to eat in Puerto Colon, but on terra firma.