PDA

View Full Version : Our Wee Break in Majorca

Angusjim
23-08-2015, 10:48
Well back a week now we had a great time. Long time since we had been in Majorca and we chose Palmanova mainly because we were only there for 5 nights and is is only a 15/20 min taxi ride away from the airport, we chose this hotel http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g580306-d569361-Reviews-Ponent_Mar-Palmanova_Calvia_Majorca_Balearic_Islands.html#REV IEWS going self catering large 1 bedroom very nice room with a large terrace with sea views very good hotel and staff were brilliant and very helpful, I can thoroughly recommend the hotel and Palmanova to anyone thinking about going to Majorca.We flew with Jet 2 and all went very well only thing be prepared for a treck of about 15/20mins from check in to boarding gates at the airport we are used to 3 mins at Tenerife:laugh::laugh:

Malteser Monkey
23-08-2015, 10:49
Glad you enjoyed it mate ! Nice to see you back

melm
23-08-2015, 17:14
Glad you had a good time and I hope the sun was shining for you. Know the feeling about Palma airport. It is such a long walk to boarding gates. The last time we were there I thought we were walking back to Glasgow:laugh: My young cousin who has walking difficulties was finally persuaded to get assistance this year. Its just too far for a disabled person to walk.

primrose
23-08-2015, 17:28
Glad you had a good time and I hope the sun was shining for you. Know the feeling about Palma airport. It is such a long walk to boarding gates. The last time we were there I thought we were walking back to Glasgow:laugh: My young cousin who has walking difficulties was finally persuaded to get assistance this year. Its just too far for a disabled person to walk.

One of the staff told me it was a mile from check-in to the gates.

marbro8
23-08-2015, 18:38
Well back a week now we had a great time. Long time since we had been in Majorca and we chose Palmanova mainly because we were only there for 5 nights and is is only a 15/20 min taxi ride away from the airport, we chose this hotel http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g580306-d569361-Reviews-Ponent_Mar-Palmanova_Calvia_Majorca_Balearic_Islands.html#REV IEWS going self catering large 1 bedroom very nice room with a large terrace with sea views very good hotel and staff were brilliant and very helpful, I can thoroughly recommend the hotel and Palmanova to anyone thinking about going to Majorca.We flew with Jet 2 and all went very well only thing be prepared for a treck of about 15/20mins from check in to boarding gates at the airport we are used to 3 mins at Tenerife:laugh::laugh:absolutely love palmanova. our very first time abroad nearly 30 years ago. booked an apartment in son caliu not realising it was a good half hours walk into palmanova centre:laugh:.and there were no paths:laugh:

primrose
23-08-2015, 19:21
absolutely love palmanova. our very first time abroad nearly 30 years ago. booked an apartment in son caliu not realising it was a good half hours walk into palmanova centre:laugh:.and there were no paths:laugh:

Palma Nova is my favourite place, also love Andratx and Andratx Port where all the Celebrities have their Yachts and Villas.

Angusjim
24-08-2015, 07:08
One of the staff told me it was a mile from check-in to the gates.

I would think thats about right there were many many last calls for passengers late for flights, lots of stressed people running to catch their flights:c2:

Malteser Monkey
24-08-2015, 10:14
I would think thats about right there were many many last calls for passengers late for flights, lots of stressed people running to catch their flights:c2:

Why is it so far AJ is the airport that big ?

christa
24-08-2015, 16:23
Did you fly direct from Tenerife? We were there in March and had to fly from GC to Mallorca via Madrid which made the flight quite expensive even with the residents discount.

Malteser Monkey
24-08-2015, 16:40
Did you fly direct from Tenerife? We were there in March and had to fly from GC to Mallorca via Madrid which made the flight quite expensive even with the residents discount.

Our AJ is in Scotland so one of the Scottish airports I would think Christa, oh and nice to see you back

Ecky Thump
06-09-2015, 19:10
Well back a week now we had a great time. Long time since we had been in Majorca and we chose Palmanova mainly because we were only there for 5 nights and is is only a 15/20 min taxi ride away from the airport, we chose this hotel http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g580306-d569361-Reviews-Ponent_Mar-Palmanova_Calvia_Majorca_Balearic_Islands.html#REV IEWS going self catering large 1 bedroom very nice room with a large terrace with sea views very good hotel and staff were brilliant and very helpful, I can thoroughly recommend the hotel and Palmanova to anyone thinking about going to Majorca.We flew with Jet 2 and all went very well only thing be prepared for a treck of about 15/20mins from check in to boarding gates at the airport we are used to 3 mins at Tenerife:laugh::laugh:

Jim, how far from the centre of Palma Nova are the apartments that you stayed at, last time we were there was about thirty years ago and we stayed at the Palma Nova hotel, we fancy a week/ten days stay.....I'm bored with Tenerife...Not!:D

If anyone else has any suggestions on where to stay, that would be a big help.:)

warbey
06-09-2015, 20:17

We had our first package Holiday there Years ago.

It was a long hike at the Airport then, but I thought the Arrivals was the further, perhaps theyre swopped around.

We stayed in a Hotel on a Headland between Palma Nova and Magaluf. Adequate but very average.

I think It's worth at least one visit, it's hard to get bored there.

primrose
06-09-2015, 20:17
Best Hotel in Mallorca, Son Matias Beach in Palma Nova, no children and on the Beach, out ot the door and your on the beach, every room has a sea view loads of bars and shops but quiet at night. Read reviews on Trip Advisor. Love it.

Ecky Thump
06-09-2015, 20:39

We had our first package Holiday there Years ago.

It was a long hike at the Airport then, but I thought the Arrivals was the further, perhaps theyre swopped around.

We stayed in a Hotel on a Headland between Palma Nova and Magaluf. Adequate but very average.

I think It's worth at least one visit, it's hard to get bored there.

Warbs, what was the name of the hotel that you stayed at?,,...basic is something I don't mind (basic hotel = money in my wallet:D ), as we generally eat out and not at a hotel where we are staying.

Angusjim
06-09-2015, 20:59
Jim, how far from the centre of Palma Nova are the apartments that you stayed at, last time we were there was about thirty years ago and we stayed at the Palma Nova hotel, we fancy a week/ten days stay.....I'm bored with Tenerife...Not!:D

If anyone else has any suggestions on where to stay, that would be a big help.:)

10-15mins stroll for a youngster like yourself we really enjoyed our wee break there

primrose
06-09-2015, 21:09

I wanted a break in Mallorca but had to go via Madrid, one flight from Tenerife wasn't worth risking as if any delay would have missed Mallorca connection and the other flight had a 12 hour wait at Madrid, so decide against it. Might have changed times though now.

Ecky Thump
06-09-2015, 21:09
10-15mins stroll for a youngster like yourself we really enjoyed our wee break there

Do you promise not to book a holiday there next June, Carol is a bit worried about the weather conditions! :devil2:

Angusjim
06-09-2015, 21:13
No you will be safe enough my oldest daughter is getting married next year so I will have to save up my pennies no holidays for us till later in year :)

marbro8
06-09-2015, 21:38

If anyone else has any suggestions on where to stay, that would be a big help.:)i have emailed you some ideas eric. but i will post here as well. when we were looking .the son caliu spa oasis took our fancy. it offers B&B at about £88 a night . we holidayed there 32 years ago before they built the hotel. not realising it was a good half hour walk into palma nova centre lol. the hawaii gets good reports on TA. most of the rooms have sea view and offers B&B half board full board and AI. it also has an apartment block opposite with suites that have just been renovated and has been voted 4th best hotel on TA i am not to sure about the choice of bars around there. we last visited about 18 years ago and stayed at the sol tordos. a flinstone's themed hotel AI. and i must admit the food quality was excellent for a 3 star.but is mainly a family hotel because we had all shell and dicky's 5 kids with us:) as primrose said the son matias hotel looks awsome. right on the beach front with pool overlooking the sea. and big glass windows around it:spin:

Angusjim
07-09-2015, 06:39
No cousins in Majorca:whistle::whistle:
Have a look on owners direct a few really nice looking apartments on there. I know a guy who has a villa there and spends quite a bit of time over in Majorca I will call him this week and see if he knows of anything

Ecky Thump
07-09-2015, 07:08
No cousins in Majorca:whistle::whistle:
Have a look on owners direct a few really nice looking apartments on there. I know a guy who has a villa there and spends quite a bit of time over in Majorca I will call him this week and see if he knows of anything

Thanks Jim, that will be a big help, Carol had her mind set on some apartments we stayed at in about 1980 "The Palma Nova Apartments", they were right on the seafront in a central position with a small private beach, there was a restaurant below them and nearly opposite there was a restaurant called "Lady Diana" but I can't trace the apartments.....possibly demolished to make way for a large hotel.

I shall try to find a old photograph and post it on here.

Angusjim
07-09-2015, 07:51
Thanks Jim, that will be a big help, Carol had her mind set on some apartments we stayed at in about 1980 "The Palma Nova Apartments", they were right on the seafront in a central position with a small private beach, there was a restaurant below them and nearly opposite there was a restaurant called "Lady Diana" but I can't trace the apartments.....possibly demolished to make way for a large hotel.

I shall try to find a old photograph and post it on here.

Eric just take her anywhere she was probably on the Vodka then as well and won't remember what they looked like anyway:lol:

See if anything on here stirs any memories :c2::c2:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=palma+nova+1980%27s&biw=1920&bih=955&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CCgQsARqFQoTCJD15d6t5McCFYLNFAod5UYHPA&dpr=1

Ecky Thump
07-09-2015, 17:43
Eric just take her anywhere she was probably on the Vodka then as well and won't remember what they looked like anyway:lol:

See if anything on here stirs any memories :c2::c2:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=palma+nova+1980%27s&biw=1920&bih=955&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0CCgQsARqFQoTCJD15d6t5McCFYLNFAod5UYHPA&dpr=1

Well, it certainly stirred something in Carol's mind, she has remembered that she has stayed at the Cala Blanca Hotel in Palma Nova......but, I wasn't with her.!!.

To rub salt in the wounds, she wants to return there and up to now, she hasn't mentioned if I'm to go with her or not!!:devil2:

marbro8
07-09-2015, 18:22

I shall try to find a old photograph and post it on here.while looking for bars in and around palma nova i did see the lady diana. so it is still there:)https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCUQFjAAahUKEwiOw4ONuOXHAhWpjtsKHdKaAhI&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ladydianapalmanova.com%2F&usg=AFQjCNFGmVc9RGGVcdIphKe-rPUYVxtCcA

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

just looking at a map of the area Ecky Thump and the only 2 apartment blocks anywhere near to lady diana are the fergus bahia and the globales(not to get mixed up with the scottish equivalent the gorbals):lol:

warbey
07-09-2015, 19:51

Sorry Ecky, I can't remember the Hotel Name.

I think the Location separated Palma Nova from Magaluf and may have been called Torre Nova. This was 1991 though.

We found a lot more life in Magaluf and only visited Palma Nova a couple of times to have a look around.