PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Are we being realistic?

Thorntons
03-09-2015, 15:03
Hi everyone :hi:

I'm looking for some advice please.

My husband, 3 children (8, 6, 3), 2 :dog: and myself are looking to relocate to the Adeje area next year. It's a massive decision to make but after years of holidaying in Tenerife we've decided that it will offer so much more quality family time for us than in the UK.

Firstly, from your experience, is it realistic to find a property to accommodate all of us, for at least a year, for approx €700-€800 per month? We are hoping to live in the Adeje area but the Arona area isn't out of the question either. Also, do you have to be employed to rent a property or is it sufficient to pay x amount of months up front?

Secondly, again from your experience, do children settle well in state education? From what I've read it seems that this isn't too much of a problem if they are fairly young, this is one of our major concerns.

Thirdly, as we know we will be in Tenerife for at least a year to give us chance to settle, can we all apply straight away for residency and the social security numbers etc or do we have to be in the country for so long prior to this? And can this be acquired from the UK prior to departure? Also, would it just be more advisable to ask a Spanish solicitor to do this for us? as I am aware all documentation needs translating.

Also, does anyone know on average how much health insurance would be for a family of 5? and do we obtain this from Tenerife or from the UK?

Lastly, does anyone own a boxer dog? We have a border terrier and a boxer and from what I've read, as the boxer exceeds certain height, chest measurements etc he would have to be registered at the town hall and wear a muzzle in public which seems extreme for a daft, sloppy, loving, will never grow up dog like Reggie :jumping: just wondering if anyone has had to do this?

Sorry to go on a bit but there's soooooooooooo much to think of :idea::wave:

junglejim
03-09-2015, 18:06
Contact Goldenmaniac on here for help her website is http://www.diana-mcglone.com/.
Have a search through the site, plenty of info on moving here -most of what you want is achievable at a cost!
There is no "residency" just a registro with police - but you require financial and medical support and usually a job offer for a social number I believe .
I donīt think the dog is an issue .
There will be others with advice and knowledge .

Legal Tenerife
03-09-2015, 20:10
Hello,

Firstly, regarding the apartment issue, I think you could find a 3 or 4 bedrooms flat at about 700 or 800 euros, but not near the beach. Everything that is a bit higher on the hill is cheaper, and the owners wonīt ask for special conditions like a work contract or more than a monthīs deposit. It depends of the real estate agent you find.

Regarding state school, you will have to talk to the headmaster or the person in charge of enlisting children. The but is that pre-inscriptions are usually made in March or April in order to get on the list. The disadvantage is that the children will have to learn the language quite fast, because public schools only have classes in Spanish and only about 2-3 hours a week of English.

The health insurance matter, it depends whether you want state health insurance or private. Normally, if one of the parents works, then all the children and the wife/husband have the right to health insurance. A private one would be about 250 to 300 euros a month for 5 persons, also depending of the insurance agent. And in order to obtain the social security number, you can either present a job offer or just state that you want to become an "Autónomo", but we recommend to use a professional to do all the administrative paperwork, because the persons that work for the administration usually donīt speak any kind of English, and when they donīt understand something, they tend to ignore the people and tell them that itīs impossible what they ask for.

And last, but not least, regarding Reggie, I donīt think there should be any problems, just try not to walk him in really public areas, and such information must be asked at the local City Hall, since every City Hall has itīs own regulations regarding pets.

All the best,

Thorntons
03-09-2015, 21:37
:thanx: it's all a bit daunting but I'm sure it'll be totally worth it in the long run :cheers:

nicky3006
14-09-2015, 10:15
Hi
We are relocating from Essex to Adeje in the new year with our 10 year old daughter and also our boxer Lola.
Our daughter is on the waiting list for Wingate as we would like her to initially follow the British curriculum, just I case, and then put her into the Spanish system eventually.
We are also doing this for a better quality of life. We are currently doing a ridiculous amount of research into our move and will keep you updated with anything we find out.

Lissalyon
08-11-2015, 22:33
Do these people make it over here. I wish they would update.

nicky3006
09-11-2015, 00:10
Both the original post and also my comments state that the moves will be made next year.

emmlouise
22-11-2015, 16:31
Hi, I am moving to Tenerife from Kent UK in January next year with my three children, husband and two dogs (English Mastiff and Jack Russel!) I have so much to plan and organise so any help from others would be appreciated. We are planning to rent something whilst we find somewhere to buy. Can anyone tell me how long the process of buying takes approximately? We have been thinking about this for a while after putting our house on sale, sold within a week and now have to get things arranged quickly! We were planning on homeschooling the kids for the time being until they are up to scratch with Spanish, and are hoping to invest in a couple of small rural properties with the aim to rent them out. My work is mostly online based so not necessarily seeking employment when we arrive other than the holiday rentals. Also if anyone has any links to long term property rentals whilst we are finding somewhere to buy, that allows pets that would be great. I am trying to compile a list of things I need to do but not having much luck. Thank you in advance.

bennoa1
25-11-2015, 14:05
3-4 weeks is more typical buying period. Nobody is ever in a hurry in Tenerife. We use Tenerife Island Rental for our long term let but our complex does not now allow pets to anyone renting, but owners can. Not sure how typical this is as virtually everyone living there seems to own a dog. I'd check out rural properties as they tend to be more expensive unless you could find a bank repossession but these seem to disappear to relatives of the bank workers. We tried to buy one a few years ago but it was around Xmas and the banks were shut. When we enquired in the new year the property had gone.

swifty26
27-11-2015, 04:20
Hi all I'm moving to Tenerife next week a friends bought a bar and I have accommodation and a job there id like to know if there is much of a English community out there and where the best places to meet new people that live out there already ?

Leam_Lin
27-11-2015, 10:53
Welcome to the forum, whereabouts in Tenerife is the bar?

swifty26
27-11-2015, 10:57
I'm not quite sure as my mates bought it and I'm meeting him out there next week as soon as I sorted everything out

Malteser Monkey
27-11-2015, 11:38
I'm not quite sure as my mates bought it and I'm meeting him out there next week as soon as I sorted everything out

it's a big Island, have you been before ?

swifty26
27-11-2015, 12:21
I have on holiday but he picking me up from the airport as we got a apartment in guaza

Malteser Monkey
27-11-2015, 12:30
I have on holiday but he picking me up from the airport as we got a apartment in guaza

Guaza ok not far from airport - nice

swifty26
27-11-2015, 12:32
He bought the garden bar in los cristionos

Malteser Monkey
27-11-2015, 12:40
He bought the garden bar in los cristionos

I don't know that one TOTO 99 Ecky Thump marbro8

any ideas

swifty26
27-11-2015, 12:44
Sorry it's in Costa Adeje

Ecky Thump
27-11-2015, 13:15
I don't know that one TOTO 99 Ecky Thump marbro8

any ideas

The only "Garden Bar" that I've seen is at Fanabe, but there could well be others of the same name.:dontknow:

Malteser Monkey
27-11-2015, 13:28
Sorry it's in Costa Adeje

ahhh now I see where it is - ooo nice area up there great views, should go well for you.

Don't think you'll have to look far to make friends up there.

I wish you all the best and when I find my wings again I will come looking for that copa de vino gratis that you are just about to offer me:cheers2::cheeky:

swifty26
27-11-2015, 13:31
Lol ya and thank you and ya well fingers crossed it all works the way we want it to !

Leam_Lin
27-11-2015, 14:15
The Garden Bar has always been a successful bar run by Dawn, Paul & Mark. Anyone know where they are going to or retiring.

swifty26
27-11-2015, 15:13
I don't know much yet till I get there but there staying to help us take over Ive heard but I'm hoping we can keep it as much as the same and keep the atmosphere and I'll be there to make sure everyone enjoys there stay and stay true to all the values of Tenerife and a place that also fields homely too

blondie
27-11-2015, 15:21
The only "Garden Bar" that I've seen is at Fanabe, but there could well be others of the same name.:dontknow:

Yes I know the bar your friend has bought . It is actually in the shopping plaza behind Burger King if you know where that is. It has both an inside and a pleasant outside area to sit in the sun, it is mostly frequented by the Brits. Yes , had many a lovely jug of sangria in the Garden Bar . Wishing your friend the very best of luck in his venture .

swifty26
27-11-2015, 15:25
Well I'm looking forward to meeting them and hopefully there not going far so we still have friends there !

bennoa1
28-11-2015, 11:47
Wish your friend luck. There's a good footfall around there. We go to Coeur de Filet up there which does a fantastic steak. There's a really nice Belgian bar there too but don't have too many as most are 8-12% ABV - and the beer ain't cheap

nicky3006
15-02-2016, 15:53
We finally made the move last month. So far it has been an endless stream of paperwork and red tape but absolutely worth it. My advice to anyone would be research as much as you can before you arrive and prepare for every eventuality - My dog ended up stuck at Gatwick for 5 days due to an aircraft change!
Things that are done quickly over the internet at home (setting up broadband etc) take time and paperwork here. And there's lots of queueing!
Also try to learn a little Spanish before you arrive as all official forms are in Spanish.

bennoa1
15-02-2016, 16:24
We finally made the move last month. So far it has been an endless stream of paperwork and red tape but absolutely worth it. My advice to anyone would be research as much as you can before you arrive and prepare for every eventuality - My dog ended up stuck at Gatwick for 5 days due to an aircraft change!
Things that are done quickly over the internet at home (setting up broadband etc) take time and paperwork here. And there's lots of queueing!
Also try to learn a little Spanish before you arrive as all official forms are in Spanish.
Great news. We plan on bringing the dog but will drive out and stay for a few months at a time initially just to make sure we're doing the right thing. Agree, everything does take time but at least you're there - trying to organise anything apartment related when you've got 1 or 2 weeks is a nightmare. Setting up direct debits with Entemanser was the worst.

emmlouise
15-02-2016, 21:19
That's great! We have finally got our exchange and a completion date of Friday! We have nothing sorted out yet and really panicking about what needs to be done. We are planning to rent here for two weeks whilst we find a rental there, but trying to find something happy to accept dogs and within our budget is proving a nightmare. We found one place, but the agent want $1550 finders fee! When we contacted them...is that the norm? I have no idea what I need to do to get things sorted out. I am just basically booking the flights and accommodation (if I can find somewhere) and hoping to get the rest sorted out once we are there. Any advice on what to do ahead, both here and for when we arrive would be greatly appreciated. What paperwork and red tape was there to deal with if you don't mind me asking. I am so glad it was worth it all in the end. Any guidance you can give, I would love to know from someone that has just been through it all. I don't know any Spanish yet and it is already proving difficult just finding a 6 month rental!

nicky3006
15-02-2016, 21:52
We struggled to find a place that would let dogs too. We used a company called Delta in Golf del Sur and they were excellent. No finders fee.
There are limited rentals this time of year due to all the 'swallows' that rent for 6 months in the winter.
We sold our house then came out in December to sort rental and bank etc then stayed with parents for a month then came back over once the house was ready.
There is a lot of paperwork to get legal here if you intend on staying. You need to get an empadronamiento from the town hall and nie number from the police station as a minimum to sort phone, internet and buying a car etc. Both involve forms and queueing.
If you intend to get a residencia you also need to get this from the police station. Children will need their birth certs translated into spanish by an official translator and stamped to get residencia and you will need to prove your income and/or enough money to support the family, about 6k for each adult, less for children i think. Also if not employed and not paying social security you must prove you pay into private healthcare. Once you have this you need to change your uk driving licence to a spanish one, although not done this yet, we will attempt to next week.
There are plenty of forums online that can help you translate the forms etc and give you advice. I found out everything i needed to know online. If you intend to ship in your personal effects you need to make your nie 'live' at the hacienda.
If you are self employed you will need to register as autonomo. We admitted defeat at this point and hired an accountant to do this for us!!
If you intend to fly the dogs out try to do it so they arrive on a weekday before 3pm as the cargo terminal at the airport charge a lot of money to stay open outside of these hours. I was quoted 150 euros for a sunday afternoon!

emmlouise
15-02-2016, 22:15
Great, thank you so much for the advice. Sorry, I am a little confused about the shipping items over? I can't get the nie before we arrive and the shipping container will be arriving a few days later. Will there be issues at customs if we have not yet got this? How long does it take, is it a case of queue for a day? I have been through so many websites collecting information and they all seem to have different advice! Also, do you have any advice about what to do at this end. I know the usual stuff, inform tax office, get medical history etc. If you would be happy to you can email me so long as I am not being a pest!

nicky3006
15-02-2016, 22:37
I've not actually received my goods yet, they were collected over a month ago and have yet to leave the uk so am not sure but as far as i'm aware you need at least the nie then you need to go to the hacienda and fill out a form to make it 'live'. They also give you some bar codes for the paperwork. You will need to queue at the police station around 7.30am to get the nie but will be done that day. The hacienda visit also only took half hour or so. Your shipping company this end should be able to advise you.
I had the same problem with conflicting info on the internet. Once your here it's much easier. There's only so much you can do in the uk!
The only thing i would say is get your childrens vaccination records from the GP as some schools require this.
Am not an expert by any means but happy to answer any questions you have, anything i can do to help having just been through it all!

emmlouise
15-02-2016, 22:46
Hmm, the shipping company haven't mentioned anything! they said they would collect here and deliver it to our rental there 5 days later? If we ever find a rental that is! Most we are not getting any responses from and given that we don't know hardly any Spanish yet! Are your children in Spanish schools? I was worried about them falling behind and looking into the international school for the first year?
Your help is greatly appreciated!

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Also, do you have to pay any customs clearance fees for the dogs if you are within the hours? thanks!

nicky3006
15-02-2016, 23:10
The fees i believe are based on weight. Our dog is a boxer and cost about 30 euros on collection for handling fees.
My shipping company collected my belongings on the basis there was a boat once every four weeks and that if i'd just missed one it would go on the next one and then spend 5 days at sea. That was 5 weeks ago. Now they tell me they don't have enough people's belongings to fill a container so i will have to wait.
My daughter is 11 and we have a place at Wingate from September and she's currently attending the Callao learning centre in Callao Salvaje with a few extra Spanish lessons too.
There are plenty of children here who go to the Spanish schools but we decided on following the British cirriculum was the best option for us. Both her schools are fee paying.
I feel your pain regarding the rental. I emailed 20+ companies and got replies from about 3!
Are you looking in the South? If so the ones that replied to me were Delta and Morfitt. Both very professional and helpful.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

If you are looking in the south i believe there are some rentals available on our complex, 3 bed furnished and unfurnished and they allow dogs.