PDA

View Full Version : Home and Garden Creepy Crawlies, bugs, flying nasties etc.

Liftman
08-09-2015, 20:02
I know in Tenerife that cockroaches are quite normal, but I would like to know what to expect from the smaller wildlife away from the coast.

I'm not afraid of anything that flies or crawls :bat:, but Mrs Liftman is somewhat averse to spiders. :scared:

I've never seen a mosquito in Adeje but wouldn't be surprised by one in the slightly damper areas.

amanda
08-09-2015, 20:18
Nearly died when I found a huge caterpillar in my garden look it up on google the cigar caterpiller huge beast

cressrt
08-09-2015, 20:51
We get the odd mossie and flies in the heat, and of course being rural we get mice and rats, but the cats and traps keep these under control.

kingbaker
08-09-2015, 21:00
Nearly died when I found a huge caterpillar in my garden look it up on google the cigar caterpiller huge beast

Ha Ha Ha:p:p

Liftman
08-09-2015, 21:16
We get the odd mossie and flies in the heat, and of course being rural we get mice and rats, but the cats and traps keep these under control.

Mice I can cope with, rats MUST DIE :blast:

Shame you can't shoot them in Tenerife

Ecky Thump
08-09-2015, 21:30
Mice I can cope with, rats MUST DIE :blast:

Shame you can't shoot them in Tenerife

I feel the same way about seagulls in Scotland....Rats with wings!:laugh:

Liftman
08-09-2015, 21:34
I feel the same way about seagulls in Scotland....Rats with wings!:laugh:

Seagulls in Scotland? Try living on the coast in Devon! :turkey::turkey::turkey::turkey::turkey::turkey::t urkey: (I know they are turkeys, but it's close)

They can keep you in the house. And we can't shoot them either!

Ecky Thump
08-09-2015, 21:43
Seagulls in Scotland? Try living on the coast in Devon! :turkey::turkey::turkey::turkey::turkey::turkey::t urkey: (I know they are turkeys, but it's close)

They can keep you in the house. And we can't shoot them either!

My son works as a engineer on the CalMac ferries in Scotland and he has a sign that he puts up for the passengers.....
"If you want to feed the birds, buy a bloody budgie"
Walking along the seafront here, you can't eat a bag of chips, in fear that the gulls will attack you.

marbro8
08-09-2015, 21:45
apart from the mice. rats, wild dogs wild cats, lizards, cockroaches, jumping spiders:wow: and all the other unidentified bugs. you will be fine:cheeky:

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

I feel the same way about seagulls in Scotland....Rats with wings!:laugh:same with grey squirrels. rats with fluffy tails:blast:

Ecky Thump
08-09-2015, 21:49
apart from the mice. rats, wild dogs wild cats, lizards, cockroaches, jumping spiders:wow: and all the other unidentified bugs. you will be fine:cheeky:

Oh what a picture of bliss that you paint.

Have you ever thought of working for the Tenerife Tourist Board!:cheeky:

marbro8
08-09-2015, 21:51
Oh what a picture of bliss that you paint.

Have you ever thought of working for the Tenerife Tourist Board!:cheeky:ha ha . come on eric. the less people that visit the better it is for us to get cheap drink and a table at a good restaurant at short notice:lol:

Ecky Thump
08-09-2015, 21:54
ha ha . come on eric. the less people that visit the better it is for us to get cheap drink and a table at a good restaurant at short notice:lol:

And of course there will be room in our cousins El Mirador apartments!:p

marbro8
08-09-2015, 21:55
And of course there will be room in our cousins El Mirador apartments!:pnow you are catching on;)

Liftman
08-09-2015, 21:55
:spider::spider::spider::spider::spider::spider::s pider::spider::spider::spider::spider::spider::spi der::grufalo::grufalo::grufalo::grufalo::grufalo:: grufalo::grufalo:

Wild things everywhere!

marbro8
08-09-2015, 21:59
:spider::spider::spider::spider::spider::spider::s pider::spider::spider::spider::spider::spider::spi der::grufalo::grufalo::grufalo::grufalo::grufalo:: grufalo::grufalo:

Wild things everywhere!bloody hell Liftman don't know how you did that but it's impressive:laugh::wink:

Angusjim
09-09-2015, 08:22
There used to be some real creepy Crawly / nasties that used to go around on scooters and congregate at places like Church Square Los Cristianos in packs to annoy holiday makers they seem to have disappeared now, think they were called Timeshare touts, I believe they are making a come back but a little bit less in your face, think they now call them Holiday Club Sales Reps so beware they can seriously harm the health of your bank account:wow::doh:

norte
09-09-2015, 09:49
in the north lots of mosquitos :((

Ecky Thump
09-09-2015, 09:59
There used to be some real creepy Crawly / nasties that used to go around on scooters and congregate at places like Church Square Los Cristianos in packs to annoy holiday makers they seem to have disappeared now, think they were called Timeshare touts, I believe they are making a come back but a little bit less in your face, think they now call them Holiday Club Sales Reps so beware they can seriously harm the health of your bank account:wow::doh:

A lot of the older timeshare touts (parasites) are now trying to elk a living as PR's outside of restaurants, they seem to be using the same old tactics, by trying to engage you in a conversation, which is normally a pack of lies, one that marbro8 will remember is a ageing and annoying Glaswegian who used to be a PR close to the Miami restaurant in L/C, he now is working further out towards L/A and will tell you that the police locked him up the previous night for not having his passport or that he has just returned back from the UK after visiting his 25 year old girlfriend, who has just had twins!.....if you see him two months later (or sometimes three days later), he will tell you the same old story.....Very sad that they feel the need to lie for a living.

Malteser Monkey
09-09-2015, 11:21
:grufalo::grufalo::grufalo::grufalo::grufalo::gruf alo::grufalo:

Wild things everywhere!

Ahhh you met forum member TOTO 99 did you ? Bet he didn't buy you a pint:D

kingbaker
09-09-2015, 16:23

How big was this "HUGE BEAST"....about 3 cms?:crylaughing::crylaughing::D

Liftman
09-09-2015, 17:25
in the north lots of mosquitos :((

How North are you talking about?

marbro8
09-09-2015, 17:25
A lot of the older timeshare touts (parasites) are now trying to elk a living as PR's outside of restaurants, they seem to be using the same old tactics, by trying to engage you in a conversation, which is normally a pack of lies, one that marbro8 will remember is a ageing and annoying Glaswegian who used to be a PR close to the Miami restaurant in L/C, he now is working further out towards L/A and will tell you that the police locked him up the previous night for not having his passport or that he has just returned back from the UK after visiting his 25 year old girlfriend, who has just had twins!.....if you see him two months later (or sometimes three days later), he will tell you the same old story.....Very sad that they feel the need to lie for a living.yes i remember him well:angry:. another one was the old guy from liverpool. he was relentless. even his wife was in on the act. we were walking by him one day and i had fallen asleep on the sunbed while it was cloudy. and i was like a lobster. after giving in on trying to get me to go to a timeshare seminar. he said his wife had some special aloe vera for my sunburn. he rang her and within a few mins she was there selling me a €10 bottle for €30:angry: and to keep on topic they are vermin:D

Ecky Thump
09-09-2015, 17:43
yes i remember him well:angry:. another one was the old guy from liverpool. he was relentless. even his wife was in on the act. we were walking by him one day and i had fallen asleep on the sunbed while it was cloudy. and i was like a lobster. after giving in on trying to get me to go to a timeshare seminar. he said his wife had some special aloe vera for my sunburn. he rang her and within a few mins she was there selling me a €10 bottle for €30:angry: and to keep on topic they are vermin:D

Yes, Vermin that thankfully as Angusjim has pointed out have nearly been eradicated from Tenerife, I know of people who refused to take a holiday in the South of Tenerife due to the relentless hard sell methods that these people used. Personally I would rather be at the small risk of being bitten by a venomous spider than being met with the return of timeshare touts.

I wonder over the years how many people returned home with the fantastic gift of a carriage clock!:D

Liftman
09-09-2015, 18:34
Please, try and sell me something. I have a really good supply of bugger off that needs using up before it goes stale. :eyebrows:

amanda
09-09-2015, 19:11
Reply to kingbaker it was about 4inches long there were several, apprantly they only come out at night during the day the burrow in the ground look it up on google the cigar caterpiller lol

kingbaker
09-09-2015, 20:34
Reply to kingbaker it was about 4inches long there were several, apprantly they only come out at night during the day the burrow in the ground look it up on google the cigar caterpiller lol

You're afraid of a harmless caterpiller of 4".......I'm trying to keep a straight face. Better not say wott comes to mind:p:p:D

stubags
14-09-2015, 14:29
I was lucky enough to encounter a Death's Head Hawkmoth on our balcony a couple of months ago. When I poked it with a stick to try and get rid of it, it actually squealed and tried to shove the stick away with its big chunky legs. When it eventually flew away, it probably showed up on the radar at TFS...

kingbaker
14-09-2015, 16:56
I know what I'd do with the stick, if you poked me with it.:p:p:D
And you'd be the one squeeeeling. :p

delderek
14-09-2015, 18:37

And Boy, do they have one hell of a sting in there tail