PDA

View Full Version : Relocation Relocation South West Tenerife for an Air conditioning engineer

r.bartlett
11-09-2015, 19:20
Hola :wave:

Hi we are potentially looking to relocate my business to the SW area and hope to major on HVAC, pool heat pumps and general maintenance there of. I have vast experience of all those but willing to expand if necessary. Naturally ATM I don't have sufficient language skills to ask for a dozen widgets and an ujimaflop so I will be crash coursing that over the next 6 months. I have been looking at what skills and paperwork is required so I have that well in hand (I fink)

I also understand that it's not a highly loved/paid trade out there (nor is it in England particularly heyho) so expect income to drop but we have savings to get us by in the short term until it floats our boat.

How is the market for -yet- another big beast ?

Are there so many they are hounding you daily with 'me too' calls?

I am planning to come over next week to start my research and spend some time touring the region but boots on the ground real world experience is worth more to us.

TIA

Richard

imablue
11-09-2015, 19:51
Good Luck Richard...it,s not gonna be easy lad....

Moderator___
11-09-2015, 23:51
Very little in the way of new build so you will need to compete on price and service. Good luck.

cressrt
12-09-2015, 07:41
I believe you need to be registered or have a licence for this trade in order to be able to buy the gas for the units.

r.bartlett
12-09-2015, 08:01
I believe you need to be registered or have a licence for this trade in order to be able to buy the gas for the units.

In hand :-)

bennoa1
14-09-2015, 14:51
Very little in the way of new build so you will need to compete on price and service. Good luck.

Getting a gas bottle for the BBQ took us about 6 months and 8 visits to various Disa petrol stations - ended up by chance getting one from Shell on the TF1. Its a small one as the larger ones (15 or16kg equivalent in the UK you need an annual inspection we were told, which I guess is chargeable.

Angusjim
14-09-2015, 14:56
Getting a gas bottle for the BBQ took us about 6 months and 8 visits to various Disa petrol stations - ended up by chance getting one from Shell on the TF1. Its a small one as the larger ones (15 or16kg equivalent in the UK you need an annual inspection we were told, which I guess is chargeable.

Eh:confused::confused::confused:

bulldog
14-09-2015, 15:12
Hola :wave:

Hi we are potentially looking to relocate my business to the SW area and hope to major on HVAC, pool heat pumps and general maintenance there of. I have vast experience of all those but willing to expand if necessary. Naturally ATM I don't have sufficient language skills to ask for a dozen widgets and an ujimaflop so I will be crash coursing that over the next 6 months. I have been looking at what skills and paperwork is required so I have that well in hand (I fink)

I also understand that it's not a highly loved/paid trade out there (nor is it in England particularly heyho) so expect income to drop but we have savings to get us by in the short term until it floats our boat.

How is the market for -yet- another big beast ?

Are there so many they are hounding you daily with 'me too' calls?

I am planning to come over next week to start my research and spend some time touring the region but boots on the ground real world experience is worth more to us.

TIA

Richard

anything to do with the building trade just is,nt happening maybe maintenance work if you can find it ,you will have to compete with the guy
who sits at the end of the pool bar all complexes have one.I was asked the same question a few weeks ago a guy is thinking of coming over
and opening a business he asked me should he open a big business or a small one I replied I would open a big one ,it will soon become a
small one !!!!

r.bartlett
14-09-2015, 17:40
anything to do with the building trade just is,nt happening maybe maintenance work if you can find it ,you will have to compete with the guy
who sits at the end of the pool bar all complexes have one.I was asked the same question a few weeks ago a guy is thinking of coming over
and opening a business he asked me should he open a big business or a small one I replied I would open a big one ,it will soon become a
small one !!!!

The difference to general building is our trade has to be regulated by law. like GasSafe in the UK. There will always be those willing to dodge the law both customers and suppliers but generally most comply as it catches up with you in the end (if you sell for example)

You cannot legally buy refrigerant in Tenerife without a licence shown at the counter. That makes it very hard to get by (I'm sure some do but that's life)

bulldog
14-09-2015, 19:00
The difference to general building is our trade has to be regulated by law. like GasSafe in the UK. There will always be those willing to dodge the law both customers and suppliers but generally most comply as it catches up with you in the end (if you sell for example)

You cannot legally buy refrigerant in Tenerife without a licence shown at the counter. That makes it very hard to get by (I'm sure some do but that's life)

you sound as if you know your trade my advice would be don,t bother popping over for a week or so you will achieve nothing,but google like
mad for suppliers of materials for your trade and translate it people already working your trade will not help you.I worked in and out of the
building trade for many,many years in Tenerife, its not like the U.K. believe me, I,ll give you an example not relevant to your trade ,but never
the less interesting all houses built in rural areas don,t have a mains connection for sewerage they have a pozo negro a deep black hole
for them to work affectively you need to reach picon bit like coke some can be 5 mts.deep some need to be 50 mts. deep because the geo.
vary,s a lot if they have been hitting solid grey rock for say 8-10 mtrs. they blast it. all the guys who seem to do this work in the trade are what we call
hill billies from up the mountains begs the question where are they getting the dynamite from I ,ve personally had this done on my own
house the pozo was only a meter from the shell I was building I was sh...ing my self I thought they would blow the house up.
believe me a can of coolant won,t be a problem.Good luck.

bennoa1
14-09-2015, 21:35
Eh:confused::confused::confused:
Pressed reply with quote on the post above. Comment was about eth difficulty getting gas.

r.bartlett
15-09-2015, 07:24
Pressed reply with quote on the post above. Comment was about eth difficulty getting gas.

Different type of gas, refrigerant gas v camping propane type gas :-)

All good help and advice though.;)

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

you sound as if you know your trade my advice would be don,t bother popping over for a week or so you will achieve nothing,but google like
mad for suppliers of materials for your trade and translate it people already working your trade will not help you.I worked in and out of the
building trade for many,many years in Tenerife, its not like the U.K. believe me, I,ll give you an example not relevant to your trade ,but never
the less interesting all houses built in rural areas don,t have a mains connection for sewerage they have a pozo negro a deep black hole
for them to work affectively you need to reach picon bit like coke some can be 5 mts.deep some need to be 50 mts. deep because the geo.
vary,s a lot if they have been hitting solid grey rock for say 8-10 mtrs. they blast it. all the guys who seem to do this work in the trade are what we call
hill billies from up the mountains begs the question where are they getting the dynamite from I ,ve personally had this done on my own
house the pozo was only a meter from the shell I was building I was sh...ing my self I thought they would blow the house up.
believe me a can of coolant won,t be a problem.Good luck.

Many thanks for the advice, someone somewhere on the island must be making money!

We have booked for the 1/2 term hol so will be out whatever.

Thanks again

r.bartlett
26-02-2016, 08:33
Just to bring everyone up to date. We're here and started. Looking to expand on business which is well known through out the island.

Liftman
26-02-2016, 23:04
Just to bring everyone up to date. We're here and started. Looking to expand on business which is well known through out the island.

Well done and good luck.