PDA

View Full Version : Relocation I'm having a big problem getting my NIE number

galli2015
18-09-2015, 12:55
Ok someone please help me here
I live in Puerto de la Cruz aG have to get My nie number
I went to the national police station here in Puerto de la Cruz in the Avenida Jose
Maria del Campo llaneras and they told me that I needed to go on a website and MAke An appointment there.
But the website they give me doesn,t even give me the option to make an appointment to get a nie number.It was hard to even navigate on that website with all the error masseges I get and dead links on the site.
So I am wondering if any of you know of a national police station anywhere in Ten erife where I can find a HUMAN BEING to make an appointment with?
This is ridicoulous
M

laly1618
18-09-2015, 14:07
Hi M,
I hope you won't be offended but your message made me giggle....so thank you for that! But now on to the serious subject of helping you.
My advice to you is do everything in person....ALWAYS, and in EVERYTHING not just the NIE.
I don't know why landlines are supplied to offices, you would have learned by now they are very rarely answered and when they are its only to let you know the person you are trying to call is not at his desk.
Websites are a nightmare to navigate, they haven't updated critical information and there are more faults and errors than I have time to detail them
Also understand that the bureaucracy is completely out of control and if you are listed as a resident of Puerto de La Cruz you may need to register there or the centre for that region, which maybe in La Laguna? You need to enquire about this.
No one knows where anything is because they are just as lost as everyone else, I ended up stopping walking policemen until one knew where to direct me to. One thing is certain your investigative skills will be much improved.
I guarantee you the sense of achievement once you complete the task will you great satisfaction and rest easy knowing that the service is very very courteous and most are very happy to help, it's not their fault the system was set up this way.
I liken it to having a baby, you wonder if you will survive the pain and struggle telling yourself through contractions that once is plenty children, then a year later or so, you are back in that ward again!
So hold on tight, make sure your breathing well and hang on for dear life....you will survive.....I did :-) best of luck from Sherlock Holmes.

galli2015
18-09-2015, 16:31
YEAH but how do I deal with anyone in person if I don,t know who I should deal with.
Maybe you can tell me how you did your thing and where did you go.
And where should I go for the nie number?
Like a tax office or something like that or an imMigration office or something but one of you have to tell me because I don,t know.
And it,s not a laughing matter either.
I have to find a job and I know that it,s gonna take like 6 weeks to get it once you make the pitition.
But I can,t even start making the pitition yet and that s why I need to know exactly where to go.
I ALREADY went to the Ayuntamiento here in Puerto de la Cruz and they told me that I need to get my nie first and they send me to the national police and they offered no help
So like tell me where you got yours and how

laly1618
18-09-2015, 16:58
Mine was in Santa Cruz, that's why I can't help you but if you ask every police on the beat they are very nice and one will know and direct you to the correct place for Puerto de la Cruz, it may still be that you need to come into the capital. Try also the employment registry although they were useless for information other than employment.
I know it's not funny, I am used to a system that works like a fine Rolex watch so there was a period of shock and extreme frustration.
Do you speak Spanish? Or have any friends that do? Take them along with you you will need help if english is your only language. Also taxis are a great source of information, go to a taxi rank and ask them questions.
Be prepared for many departments and office workers here can not multi task, they seem to focus on one duty anything outside of that and they are unwilling or unable to help.
I'm sorry I wasn't better help, it's been a very long time for me and I have forgotten the details and don't want to send you to the wrong place, just be very specific, do not allow them to shove you aside and insist on them to direct you.
Good luck with work!

laly1618
18-09-2015, 17:12
It is definetely the Police you need to go to, that's where I went, but at the start of my search I wasn't aware that there are many branches or departments for different issues, I also went to the wrong one too at the start.
Best to take an approach that it is what it is and work with what you have, wishing you had the system you are accustomed to is not going to help you......I am sure a Spaniard in your home town would feel just as lost as you are feeling now....

Megaloo
18-09-2015, 23:15
A friend of mine has just done hers in Puerto de la Cruz at the Police ~Station but took an interpreter because her Spanish is not too good and there was no problem the interpreter made the appointment for her

galli2015
19-09-2015, 11:27
No it,s not the right place because they couldn,t help me and the only thing they gave me was a link to a government website that has information about all the government services except getting a Nie number.
So now I,m stuck.
And I can speak good spanish because I have lived in different countries in my life and that,s why I know that,s something is not right here.
Because in all countries you get things like Nie or Social Security numbers at a TAX office or immigration office.
You don,t go to the police station for something like that.
So maybe in the older days it used to be like that here in Tenerife but not now.
So the only thing that I want to know is if you can give me directions to an immigration office or tax office.
I have a feeling that they might be able to help me or point me in the right direction

galli2015
19-09-2015, 14:43
Now I think that things changed now.
Because Now they just give you a link to a website and that,s it
They told me they could,t help me and gave me a link to a website that doesn,t help me with anything.
I told the lady I didn,t want the website but she said she could,t help me and they are very rude.
So if someone can just give directions for a tax office or immigration office I might be able to know better.
Maybe they used to give them at the national police some time ago but it,s clear that some things changed now.
I can only ask you because this is the only site that has European immigrants that can know this.
There are no European s in Puerto de la Cruz so no one to ask.

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

Or do some of you know if there is a Dutch embassy here in Tenerife?
Maybe they would know who to contact to get information

Megaloo
19-09-2015, 15:41
Now I think that things changed now.
Because Now they just give you a link to a website and that,s it
They told me they could,t help me and gave me a link to a website that doesn,t help me with anything.
I told the lady I didn,t want the website but she said she could,t help me and they are very rude.
So if someone can just give directions for a tax office or immigration office I might be able to know better.
Maybe they used to give them at the national police some time ago but it,s clear that some things changed now.
I can only ask you because this is the only site that has European immigrants that can know this.
There are no European s in Puerto de la Cruz so no one to ask.

Or do some of you know if there is a Dutch embassy here in Tenerife?
Maybe they would know who to contact to get information

There are lots of Europeans living in Puerto de la Cruz including Brits- Dutch -German -Swedish -Finnish Italian etc

1. Applying for NIE number in person in Spain

Applying in person for an NIE number whilst in Spain is a relatively straightforward procedure. The only inconvenience is that you may have to wait for up to several hours in a queue in order to submit your application. It does depend upon the police station where you apply, and the time of day (early is better). With a bit of luck you will be in and out in half an hour or less.

The process is as follows:

1) Prepare the necessary documentation:

Your passport and a photocopy of the main page of your passport (the page that includes your photo, name, passport number, address, etc.).
2 recent passport size colour photographs with a plain coloured background. This is not required in the instructions issued by the government but it is always better to be on the safe side as some offices may insist.
An original document (plus a photocopy) that justifies your reason for applying for an NIE number. If you are applying because you are buying a property in Spain then you will need to take along the official copy of the deeds of purchase given to you by the Notary (called a copia simple in Spanish). If you have not yet signed the deeds before Notary then you will need to take along the private contract of sale that you have signed with the vendor or developer. This documentation is not always necessary (depends upon the police station), but best have it with you just incase.
If you are a non-EU national you will need to produce a document that demonstrates your legal entry into Spain. This is the document (for instance a landing card) that you fill in at the immigration desk at your point of entry into Spain. In Spanish this document is known as a declaracion de entrada.
2 copies of the appropriate application form filled out and signed . The Spanish name for the NIE form Spain is Solicitud de NIE.(Ex-14), and you can download this NIE application form by clicking on the link below. This will open up a new browser window and display the form in ‘pdf’ format.

2) Take all documentation in person to the appropriate place of submission.

You have to go to one of the immigration offices (oficinas de extranjeros) that are usually found in designated police stations (comisaria de policia), preferably in the area where you are buying your property. If there is no immigration office in your area then it should be possible to make your application through a local police station. In any event the local police station will be able to tell you the best place to go to apply for an NIE in your area.

NOTE: In some regions, for instance in Asturias, you may have to pay a small tax of a few Euros when you apply for an NIE. In this case you will be given a payment form when you submit your application. You have to show proof of payment (the stamped receipt from the bank) in order to collect your NIE.

3) Collect NIE number after 15 days (or less)

After you have submitted your NIE application you will be given an official receipt (resguardo). Unless you are told otherwise, you will be able to collect your NIE number from the office where you made your application anytime from 15 days later (in some areas, at some times of the year, it may take longer, which is why we recommend applying a month in advance). You do not have to collect your NIE in person – anyone can collect it for you if they have the official receipt you were given when you submitted your application.

NOTE: The time it takes to get an NIE varies greatly by region. Whilst it is still common in most areas to wait 15 days or more before collecting an NIE, in some areas, for instance Oviedo, in Asturias, (North Spain), you can apply for, and collect, an NIE in one single visit, which might not take longer than half an hour.

Generally speaking, it is also quicker to obtain an NIE from a local tax office than from one of the designated police stations. Applications via a tax office tend to take a few days, compared to a few weeks via police stations. Applying via a tax office does mean, however, that the Spanish tax office is aware of your situation as an owner of property in Spain. This makes it more likely that the tax office will pursue you for taxes related to owning property in Spain, such as the wealth tax (patrimonio), and income tax (IRPF), which all property owners in Spain have to pay, irrespective of fiscal residence.
2. Applying for an NIE number in person via a Spanish Consulate abroad

You can also apply for an NIE from Spanish consulates around the world if you do not have the time to apply whilst you are in Spain.

galli2015
19-09-2015, 20:34
Ok so it,s actually quicker to get the nie from a tax office then from the national police.
But I googled and I couldn,t find a tax office in Tenerife.
But if one of you know of one please let me know.
Just give me the name of the street it is on and i,ll google it on google maps.
If you don,t have one then maybe you can direct me to a national police office somewhere outsite of puerto de la Cruz like maybe in the south or something where they are more used to this kind of stuff.
I want to know by monday where to go because right now I,m stuck

Megaloo
19-09-2015, 20:44
Try the Police Station in Orotava

canarybird
19-09-2015, 22:29
Try calling Diana McGlone at the number on her website or her Facebook page. Office is open from Monday at 8:30 am.

She will tell you what to do.

https://www.facebook.com/The-One-Stop-Problem-Shop-63756075794/timeline/

http://www.diana-mcglone.com/

I live in Puerto and have always done my documentation at the police station with help from the office of a gestor who made the appointments for me.

galli2015
22-09-2015, 13:00
Well still getting no help.
The nearest national police for me besides Puerto de la Cruz seems to be La Laguna.
The Orotava police station is not a National police station but a Local police station.
The local police station doesn,t do this kind of stuff.
The Puerto de la Cruz one is a national police but they don,t offer any help.
I went there again today and nothing.
They seem to have a great form of hatred for European s here.
So I am gonna tryanga.
Buanwhile I want to know if maybe there s someone here to help me.
Because I don,t have a computer and I only have a smartphone and I think that maybe it,s my smartphone that may be so limited that it prevents me from seeing something.
Since this forum doesn,t allow links I can,t post a link to the website here.
So if any of you are willing to help me please let me know and I,ll give you a link to the website and so you can go with your computer and see if you can find it.
Meanwhile I,m gonna try La Laguna tomorrow and I,ll post my results here.

canarybird
22-09-2015, 13:48
Check your personal message file.....I have a friend that could perhaps help you.

Megaloo
22-09-2015, 23:18
Try calling Diana McGlone at the number on her website or her Facebook page. Office is open from Monday at 8:30 am.

She will tell you what to do.

https://www.facebook.com/The-One-Stop-Problem-Shop-63756075794/timeline/

http://www.diana-mcglone.com/

I live in Puerto and have always done my documentation at the police station with help from the office of a gestor who made the appointments for me.

This was good advice from Canarybird

canarybird
23-09-2015, 09:38
Diana McGlone: 922 86 74 78

8:30 am - 5:30 pm

Goldenmaniac
23-09-2015, 11:08
You do have to register at the National Police Station and you have to go to the one that covers where you live - in your case Puerto de la Cuz this is the address
Av. José María del Campo Llarena, 7
38400 PUERTO DE LA CRUZ (TENERIFE), SANTA CRUZ DE TENERIFE
you have to go to get the application form and bank paying in form and to get your appointment slot for when to return.
You don't have an embassy here just an honory consul ;
http://www.embassypages.com/missions/embassy8397/

galli2015
23-09-2015, 15:41
Ok I went to La Laguna today and they actually did help me there.
The cops there were nice and not rude like here in Puerto and they give me a form to pay at the bank so I just have to pay that and turn it in tomorrow and they promised me I will get my nie.
So there is the real answer so we need to post it somewhere that for the nie number you go to La Laguna.
They are the real national police office where they have people to do this.
The office in Puerto is not a complete national police office and they can,t do this kind of thing.
And I think that it is a shame that there are people here giving out numbers of greedy moneyvhungry people to rip you off of your money to get your nie for you while it is available for only €9.45 if you know where to get it at La Laguna.
This forum is supposed to be for helping people and not for ripping off people and I think these people from Latin american descent need to really start working for their money and stop ripping off Europeans who want to come live here for easy money

liv_in_Tenerife
24-09-2015, 21:42
Hi all,

I am new here and I am coming to Tenerife in February, I hold a UK Passport and I am looking to work there. I have booked a Hotel for one month in Puerto De La Cruz and I am hoping the process is more simple than appears here.

Does anybody know if there is a way of applying for NIE prior to getting into Tenerife? Also I am willing to do any LEGAL work to start and work my way up. If anybody knows of good places to start looking I would appreciate the assistance, I can clean, work the bar, love working with the public and just want something different from UK. I visited Estartit when I was a child and LOVED spain, I chose Tenerife because I am under the assumption it is an all year round destination, with better prospects of long term work, rather than seasonal.

Is it permitted to apply for NIE from a hotel? Is it necessary to apply before looking for and/or starting work? Or is there a small time you can legally work, prior to applying giving you time to settle? Perhaps one month or so? As by this time I would have needed to find permanent accommodation.

Maybe these have been answered elsewhere, but I am on my first hour and cannot find anything recent. I only speak basic Spanish, but I am brushing up on this over the next few months.

Thanks in advance.

Lee

Timdowd
25-09-2015, 02:47
Ok I went to La Laguna today and they actually did help me there.
The cops there were nice and not rude like here in Puerto and they give me a form to pay at the bank so I just have to pay that and turn it in tomorrow and they promised me I will get my nie.
So there is the real answer so we need to post it somewhere that for the nie number you go to La Laguna.
They are the real national police office where they have people to do this.
The office in Puerto is not a complete national police office and they can,t do this kind of thing.
And I think that it is a shame that there are people here giving out numbers of greedy moneyvhungry people to rip you off of your money to get your nie for you while it is available for only €9.45 if you know where to get it at La Laguna.
This forum is supposed to be for helping people and not for ripping off people and I think these people from Latin american descent need to really start working for their money and stop ripping off Europeans who want to come live here for easy money

What a nasty thing to say... I hope you get everything you deserve... Good luck in the future

Mia
25-09-2015, 14:43
Hi all,

I am new here and I am coming to Tenerife in February, I hold a UK Passport and I am looking to work there. I have booked a Hotel for one month in Puerto De La Cruz and I am hoping the process is more simple than appears here.

Does anybody know if there is a way of applying for NIE prior to getting into Tenerife? Also I am willing to do any LEGAL work to start and work my way up. If anybody knows of good places to start looking I would appreciate the assistance, I can clean, work the bar, love working with the public and just want something different from UK. I visited Estartit when I was a child and LOVED spain, I chose Tenerife because I am under the assumption it is an all year round destination, with better prospects of long term work, rather than seasonal.

Is it permitted to apply for NIE from a hotel? Is it necessary to apply before looking for and/or starting work? Or is there a small time you can legally work, prior to applying giving you time to settle? Perhaps one month or so? As by this time I would have needed to find permanent accommodation.

Maybe these have been answered elsewhere, but I am on my first hour and cannot find anything recent. I only speak basic Spanish, but I am brushing up on this over the next few months.

Thanks in advance.

Lee

Hi Lee,

You will need your NIE number before you can legally work.

You can get your NIE number in the UK from a Spanish Consulate Office, but it depends whether you live in the north or south.

If you live in the north the office is in Manchester and in the south it is obviously in London.

I obtained mine in Manchester in 2007. As this was a long time ago, I would advise you to contact the Spanish Consulate office to determine what is required as things will probably have changed since 2007.

Also bear in mind it may take up to three months by this method as your application has to go to Madrid for the number to be issued and then sent back to you in the UK.

Good Luck with your move.

Hi again,

I forgot to mention you can use the address of a hotel to obtain an NIE number.

You will only need a more permanent address when applying for a "Certificado de Registro"

galli2015
25-09-2015, 14:58
Ok to answer some of your questions Yes you can apply for your nie if your still staying at a hotel and that nie is gonna be valid for 3 months.
After 3 months you,re gonna have to get your certificate of resistance and for that you,ll need a steady job and a steady place to live.
But for now just your passport will do.
But I,d like to ask why you choose Puerto de la Cruz to begin with instead of the south where most British and other North Europeans live.
If you don,t wanna live in the Sourh you can check for other places nearby like Ororava .
Orotava is very close to Puerto so you can come to Puerto anytime you want and then leave.
If you want to live in Puerto be prepared as this is the town where all the Latin Americans live and they are always angry because they are low on money or whatever and if you,re gonna rent an appartment in a flat be prepared as these people live a very miserable life and they fight all the time and be prepared for sleepless nights when couples fight and kids running around out of control and things like that.
Plus if you,re single be prepared.
Because these woman are desperately seeking European men to marry them so they can get a European nacionality.
Most of them don't have a permanent residency yet.
And for whatever you need to do like legal papers and so on go to the national police of La Laguna.
Don,t believe the people you see here offering to get your nie for you for a couple of hundred euros because those are just lazy Latinos who wants to make easy money of of us.
Just go to La Laguna and do these things yourself.
Don,t trust anyone with your passport and things like that especially these Latinos here in Puerto who can basically do any kind of fraud with your passport to bring in their family members from their country.

Mia
25-09-2015, 15:04
Ok to answer some of your questions Yes you can apply for your nie if your still staying at a hotel and that nie is gonna be valid for 3 months.
After 3 months you,re gonna have to get your certificate of resistance and for that you,ll need a steady job and a steady place to live.
But for now just your passport will do.
But I,d like to ask why you choose Puerto de la Cruz to begin with instead of the south where most British and other North Europeans live.
If you don,t wanna live in the Sourh you can check for other places nearby like Ororava .
Orotava is very close to Puerto so you can come to Puerto anytime you want and then leave.
If you want to live in Puerto be prepared as this is the town where all the Latin Americans live and they are always angry because they are low on money or whatever and if you,re gonna rent an appartment in a flat be prepared as these people live a very miserable life and they fight all the time and be prepared for sleepless nights when couples fight and kids running around out of control and things like that.
Plus if you,re single be prepared.
Because these woman are desperately seeking European men to marry them so they can get a European nacionality.
Most of them don't have a permanent residency yet.
And for whatever you need to do like legal papers and so on go to the national police of La Laguna.
Don,t believe the people you see here offering to get your nie for you for a couple of hundred euros because those are just lazy Latinos who wants to make easy money of of us.
Just go to La Laguna and do these things yourself.
Don,t trust anyone with your passport and things like that especially these Latinos here in Puerto who can basically do any kind of fraud with your passport to bring in their family members from their country.

I live in the south of Tenerife and I do not think Puerto de la Cruz is like this. Will someone from the Puerto area please let us know if all this is true.

liv_in_Tenerife
25-09-2015, 15:12
Hi Galli2015 And Mia

Thanks for reply and advice,

To be totally honest, I selected Puerto as I liked the look of the town and found a reasonable deal for a half board hotel for one month, I guess this was long enough to get the feel of the place and find work/permanent residence NIE etc.

I am open to any suggestions re location outside of Puerto as this was just a base - so to speak. I am happy to live and work anywhere and in any legal job. Therefore I hope my flexibility will help me find something soon.

Thanks again to all who replied.

canarybird
25-09-2015, 20:17
Mia....I have lived in Puerto de la Cruz for the past 30 years and I can say emphatically that it is not at all like what was written above in post #25.

It's a lovely town with an English library and Anglican church, both established many years ago. There's a British Games Club which meets at Alvaro's tennis club for games and functions.

There's an established settlement of British and English speaking people, as well as German, Scandinavian and others.

The local Canary people are charming and friendly. The fiestas and special events held here such as carnival are brilliant.

There are many private wine producing vineyards in this part of the island, giving rise to the popular guachinches or country style home eateries where you can taste the wine of the owner along with inexpensive Canary dishes.

I live quite happily year round in this part of the island as do many of my friends.

Megaloo
25-09-2015, 20:43
Mia....I have lived in Puerto de la Cruz for the past 30 years and I can say emphatically that it is not at all like what was written above in post #25.

It's a lovely town with an English library and Anglican church, both established many years ago. There's a British Games Club which meets at Alvaro's tennis club for games and functions.

There's an established settlement of British and English speaking people, as well as German, Scandinavian and others.

The local Canary people are charming and friendly. The fiestas and special events held here such as carnival are brilliant.

There are many private wine producing vineyards in this part of the island, giving rise to the popular guachinches or country style home eateries where you can taste the wine of the owner along with inexpensive Canary dishes.

I live quite happily year round in this part of the island as do many of my friends.

I can only totally agree with Canarybird I have lived here now in Puerto de la Cruz for the last 10 years and I honestly do not know what the poster is talking about in post #25 I have never come across any of this behaviour. So I would come to Puerto and make your own opinion

liv_in_Tenerife
25-09-2015, 22:28
Hi Megaloo and canarybird great posts, puts me at ease, I was slightly concerned with my choice of destination. Thank you for clearing it up.

It is good to hear about a good English/British population, as my Spanish is basic, although I am trying to improve, before I come out there. I am hoping to find permanent accommodation and Employment, I have booked a hotel for one month to start and hope this will be long enough to sort the necessary paperwork and find accommodation and work. If not I can extend.

Have you any suggestions on where is good to find employment, I am willing to start at the bottom and work up, I have managed bars, here and have been a cleaner, worked in kitchens, and as waiting on staff as well as sales and love working with people. I hope I have chosen the destination correctly and Work and a small place to live will be fairly easy to find. I come out there in February, so I am hoping I have got there before the main season starts, although I am under the impression it is mostly all year resort.

Any assistance you can lend would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks
Lee

Megaloo
25-09-2015, 23:20
Unfortunately I really cannot help you with a job, as whether you stay North or South of the Island the work situation is not good as there are many locals out of work.

all I advise is try to learn as much Spanish as you can which will help, because even if you find work in an English bar? you still would need Spanish

The whole year here is fairly busy but busier between October and April because folk want to avoid the Uk Winters

liv_in_Tenerife
26-09-2015, 08:29
Thanks Megaloo, I speak basic Spanish and I am still continuing, to remember more and learn more. I am starting out in Puerto De la Cruz. Not sure where I will settle, all depends on where I find work and accommodation. As stated I will do anything.

Thank you for your reply. Take care

Lee

Megaloo
26-09-2015, 11:53
Thanks Megaloo, I speak basic Spanish and I am still continuing, to remember more and learn more. I am starting out in Puerto De la Cruz. Not sure where I will settle, all depends on where I find work and accommodation. As stated I will do anything.

Thank you for your reply. Take care

Lee

I love Puerto but others prefer the South but when you are here you of course will decide the best option for you Good luck I hope everything goes well for you

liv_in_Tenerife
26-09-2015, 18:33
I love Puerto but others prefer the South but when you are here you of course will decide the best option for you Good luck I hope everything goes well for you

Thank you, for your message. I really am hoping that things work out for me, I really need positive change in my life and hope that I can find it there in Tenerife, my family holiday there often, and always come back happy and talking of how beautiful it is.

I will keep you updated on my progress, I am due there in February,

Thanks again
Lee

Glenn111
06-10-2015, 13:58
Hi try and get a job doing excursions for the holiday trade . ie on the boat trips.that could be a good start. Even try Thomas cook in the UK some times they are looking for crew!

liv_in_Tenerife
06-10-2015, 14:08
Hi try and get a job doing excursions for the holiday trade . ie on the boat trips.that could be a good start. Even try Thomas cook in the UK some times they are looking for crew!

Thank you for your information I will certainly look into this. I have been Sea fishing several times and love being on boats. Thanks and I will keep you informed.