PDA

View Full Version : Other Tenerifian

scotchmist
26-10-2015, 19:36
Hi everyone just reached my first 100 posts to become a Tenerifian so pleased :)

melm
26-10-2015, 19:39
Hi everyone just reached my first:tiphat::tiphat:100 posts to become a Tenerifian so pleased :)

Well done :respect:

blondie
26-10-2015, 22:12
Well done you :cheers:

Ecky Thump
26-10-2015, 22:15
Hi everyone just reached my first 100 posts to become a Tenerifian so pleased :)

Well done.....and we are all pleased that your pleased! :)

Medman
27-10-2015, 00:01
Well done.....and we are all pleased that your pleased! :)

Yeh, I'm pleased that Ecky's pleased about Scotchmist being pleased . :ashamed:

LindaD
27-10-2015, 00:27
Yeh, I'm pleased that Ecky's pleased about Scotchmist being pleased . :ashamed:

Me tae :wink2:

Ecky Thump
27-10-2015, 09:26

What,your pleased that Medman is pleased that I'm pleased that scotchmist is pleased that he is now a Tenerifian, all we need now is Knickerless Sturgeon to join the forum and then all the "Yes" voters and Angusjim will be well pleased!! :D

We still have to hear if TOTO 99 is pleased or is he sitting on the fence waiting to see who else is pleased???

TOTO 99
27-10-2015, 09:49
What,your pleased that Medman is pleased that I'm pleased that scotchmist is pleased that he is now a Tenerifian, all we need now is Knickerless Sturgeon to join the forum and then all the "Yes" voters and Angusjim will be well pleased!! :D

We still have to hear if TOTO 99 is pleased or is he sitting on the fence waiting to see who else is pleased???

Sorry I'm busy getting a quote to build the forum version of Hadrians Wall.....:laugh:

LUCKY
27-10-2015, 11:13
Sorry I'm busy getting a quote to build the forum version of Hadrians Wall.....:laugh:

Well done scotchmist Now TOTO 99 get busy :bricks::bricks::bricks::bricks::bricks::bricks::b ricks::bricks::bricks::bricks::bricks::bricks::bri cks::bricks::bricks:

Ecky Thump
27-10-2015, 11:20

William Wallace (aka Meldrew Gibson) would eat his own entrails if he read your post! :D

Medman
27-10-2015, 11:26

What is wrong with the digit on your foot pray tell? LindaD

Malteser Monkey
27-10-2015, 11:32
I'm pleased that you're all pleased to be pleased :D

Ecky Thump
27-10-2015, 11:48
I'm pleased that you're all pleased to be pleased :D

I wonder if scotchmist will be pleased to hear that your pleased that Medman is pleased to hear that I'm pleased to here that LindaD is pleased to hear that scotch mist is a Tenerifian and that TOTO 99 is sitting on the wall, also we are still to hear if Angusjim is pleased or even amused at this most enthralling and momentous news!

TOTO 99
27-10-2015, 11:58
I wonder if scotchmist will be pleased to hear that your pleased that Medman is pleased to hear that I'm pleased to here that LindaD is pleased to hear that scotch mist is a Tenerifian and that TOTO 99 is sitting on the wall, also we are still to hear if Angusjim is pleased or even amused at this most enthralling and momentous news!

He might not know...I'm afraid AJ is too small to see over my wall....:jumping:....

Malteser Monkey
27-10-2015, 12:03

Naaa he'll just say get back on topic:whistle::D

scotchmist
27-10-2015, 12:05
AJ is too much of a Gent to coment. :nono:

Medman
27-10-2015, 12:06

Please yourself ! .. :whistle:

Ecky Thump
27-10-2015, 12:12

You've not met him then! :D

Malteser Monkey
27-10-2015, 12:13

I am choosing to ignore this:cheeky:

Ecky Thump
27-10-2015, 12:14
I am choosing to ignore this:cheeky:

Well that will certainly please all of us.:fpull:

scotchmist
27-10-2015, 12:19
I will be pleased when all these comments cease. :(

Malteser Monkey
27-10-2015, 12:24
Well that will certainly please all of us.:fpull:

an you if you're not careful:twak::D

- - - - - - - - - - merged double post - - - - - - - - - -

you started it:whistle::D

LindaD
27-10-2015, 12:58
Hurray, we're aw daft :spin::spin:

Ecky Thump
27-10-2015, 13:03

Well, we would like to please you, but you've underestimated the tenacity of the forum members.:devil2:

Malteser Monkey
27-10-2015, 13:17
Well, we would like to please you, but you've underestimated the tenacity of the forum members.:devil2:

Blimey .....a Scot who can speak Comprehensible English:whistle::hide:

Or is that Carol :crylaughing:

Angusjim
27-10-2015, 13:26

At last someone that understands my more sensitive side:shy:

TOTO 99
27-10-2015, 13:31
OK, off topic but then again I don't think other than the 1st post it ever has actually been on topic.....

A question for my north of the border friends:

Does Shug = Hugh?...and if so, why?

Medman
27-10-2015, 13:32
Blimey .....a Scot who can speak Comprehensible English:whistle::hide:

Or is that Carol :crylaughing:

Is a tenacity used to catch leaks in a big town ? ... *gets coat* .. :run:

Angusjim
27-10-2015, 13:35
OK, off topic but then again I don't think other than the 1st post it ever has actually been on topic.....

A question for my north of the border friends:

Does Shug = Hugh?...and if so, why?

My guess is Archaic Pronunciations (kind of like how we get Peggy from Margaret) - way back when, especially in rural areas, Hugh wasn't pronounced as Hugh and Shug/Shuggy probably wasn't pronounced as it is now either. I do know that it some parts of England before the norman invasion that Hugh was pronounced more like HUH instead of HYOO, and a common way to make a nickname from a name is to pigpen (or baby-talk) it, and adding the S in front of Hugh would be an easy way to do that, so I can kind of see where Shuggy would come from. But, after time, the pronunciations of both the name and its nickname deviated ... so it doesn't make quite as much sense anymore.:tiphat:

TOTO 99
27-10-2015, 13:49
My guess is Archaic Pronunciations (kind of like how we get Peggy from Margaret) - way back when, especially in rural areas, Hugh wasn't pronounced as Hugh and Shug/Shuggy probably wasn't pronounced as it is now either. I do know that it some parts of England before the norman invasion that Hugh was pronounced more like HUH instead of HYOO, and a common way to make a nickname from a name is to pigpen (or baby-talk) it, and adding the S in front of Hugh would be an easy way to do that, so I can kind of see where Shuggy would come from. But, after time, the pronunciations of both the name and its nickname deviated ... so it doesn't make quite as much sense anymore.:tiphat:

So, do you know anyone who was christened Hugh but they call him Shug? By that I mean is it quite common?

It's just cropped up recently and I wasn't sure if it was used a lot?

Malteser Monkey
27-10-2015, 13:51
Is a tenacity used to catch leaks in a big town ? ... *gets coat* .. :run:

Ohhh dear took me twice to read it :crylaughing: brilliant !!

Angusjim
27-10-2015, 13:52
So, do you know anyone who was christened Hugh but they call him Shug? By that I mean is it quite common?

More common in the Glasgow area I think perhaps some O the West Coasters can enlighten you

TOTO 99
27-10-2015, 13:56
More common in the Glasgow area I think perhaps some O the West Coasters can enlighten you

That would make sense thanks. This guy is from Hamilton I think. To make it worse, his son is also called Hugh (Shug)..lol

Medman
27-10-2015, 13:59
That would make sense thanks. This guy is from Hamilton I think. To make it worse, his son is also called Hugh (Shug)..lol

So they will be Big Shug and Wee Shug as per Scottish tradition. (south of the border, it would probably be Shug and Shugette)

TOTO 99
27-10-2015, 14:03
So they will be Big Shug and Wee Shug as per Scottish tradition. (south of the border, it would probably be Shug and Shugette)

I'll stick with Hugh then for the time being...

One last question please if I may?

Would it be wrong for me to call him Shug? Is it more of a friend/relative type thing or doesn't it work that way?

Angusjim
27-10-2015, 14:03

Ah that will be wee Shug:laugh:

Would it be wrong for me to call him Shug? Is it more of a friend/relative type thing or doesn't it work that way?

Naw if hes no happy he will jist stick the nut on yea

Malteser Monkey
27-10-2015, 14:20

Ohh MDM :D

Ecky Thump
27-10-2015, 14:28

Shuggy's wife is common.....so I've been told.:devil2:

I think this is the "Shuggy" that you mean from Hamilton.

HAHAHA daft shuggy getting stuck on a fence - YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T-P7PKeQDUQ

Malteser Monkey
27-10-2015, 14:43
Shuggy's wife is common.....so I've been told.:devil2:

Well ...." it wasnae me "

Please I'll be happy if one person get's it:D

melm
27-10-2015, 15:23

No it wouldn't be wrong to call him Shug. Personally I don't know of any Hughs who are called Shug rolleyes2:

LindaD
27-10-2015, 21:34

Well, well Angusjim am impressed!!!! Wikipedia disnae have a look in when you get going eh :respect: And yes, I've heard of a few Shugs from my neck of the woods (or Shuggy), I don't think anyone would object to being called Shug if that's what he is usually called TOTO 99 :agree:

Ecky Thump
07-10-2018, 12:10

And years later scotchmist .........the comments still pop up.:cheeky:

At last someone that understands my more sensitive side:shy:

Just as well that Angusjim hasn't got a 'feminine side', or he would make love to himself! :eyebrows: